Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
Soldato
i have this one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-alli...240v-corded-electric-pole-hedge-trimmer/6928r

its been great :) wasnt bothered with cordless as we have sockets both ends of garden theres no need for us.

Thanks, aye I need battery operated as fortunately my garden is pretty long, and there's a lot of hedges to be trimmed!

Realise my current cheap qualcast wired model (had for about 4.5 years and only cut the cord once!) is 67cm blade so I think i will be going for that.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Accidentally treated myself to a 600mm Stabila electronic spirit level :eek::p was after a decent electronic angle finder and I've slowly been changing out my cheap spirit levels and this popped up on Amazon, oops.

Soldato
Caporegime
Anyone got a pole saw like these/what are the cheaper offerings?

Also going to get a seperate hedge trimmer also

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...UVLAY2TSYmTIXd-_xVrj9Iltx63vFMARoCOIAQAvD_BwE

That's not a pole saw that's a pole trimmer.

I got the screwfix cheapo one for £40 the pole saw that is and it's cut through 7 tree trunks so it would eat branches alive.

Obviously a saw is much more powerful than a trimmer and corded is brilliant for power. I have a 30 metre outdoor extension so cordless isn't needed for stuff like this, cordless is better for smaller jobs.

Soldato
I have this one with the extra long reach bit. https://shop.tooltalk.com/products/...snZ-0zpenYx1d94SM-3dd3OHl0BXzv1UaAuOREALw_wcB

works absolutely fine. Use a battery converter for myDewalt batteries.

Thanks, good option, just working out if I would benefit from the additional angle to cut the top of hedges (pic of back garden below, but I have similar at front also)

Not sure if the 90 degree angle element is worth the extra money
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...UVLAY2TSYmTIXd-_xVrj9Iltx63vFMARoCOIAQAvD_BwE

SeRarGK.jpg

xjZwd1r.jpg

That's not a pole saw that's a pole trimmer.

I got the screwfix cheapo one for £40 the pole saw that is and it's cut through 7 tree trunks so it would eat branches alive.

Obviously a saw is much more powerful than a trimmer and corded is brilliant for power. I have a 30 metre outdoor extension so cordless isn't needed for stuff like this, cordless is better for smaller jobs.

Ah yes, I meant pole hedge trimmer. Corded tools wont satisfy, I need it both front and back, and back is approx 45m. Im in favour of cordless also as it just makes the job quicker and saves running an extension.

I've never had an issue with my cordless angle grinder or cordless saw

On the saw front, just treated myself to this: https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...-brushless-hedge-trimmer-inc-1x-5-0ah-battery

I measured my current (corded) trimmer, a £60 qualcast one and it was ~670mm lenghth so I wanted to match at least that if not more.

As you can see from above the garden will keep me busy, and I'm not particularly green fingered!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you’re going to use a pole saw on taller hedges/trees, either get some scaffolding or borrow a cherry picker as even the battery ones are hard work to hold above your shoulders for more than 5-10 minutes.

Soldato
At risk of contradicting the point of the thread, but at that price/your interest level/the extra equipment required to get the height; is it a job worth out sourcing? Looks like a couple of full days potentially!

Soldato
At risk of contradicting the point of the thread, but at that price/your interest level/the extra equipment required to get the height; is it a job worth out sourcing? Looks like a couple of full days potentially!

I dont want to chop them completely, just keep them trimmed (so maybe slightly neater than the photo).

I'd rather pay the tools than pay for labour as imagine it wouldnt take long until you've made up the cost of a tool and it's relatively easy labour.

Soldato
Thanks, good option, just working out if I would benefit from the additional angle to cut the top of hedges (pic of back garden below, but I have similar at front also)

Not sure if the 90 degree angle element is worth the extra money

xjZwd1r.jpg

Ah yes, I meant pole hedge trimmer. Corded tools wont satisfy, I need it both front and back, and back is approx 45m. Im in favour of cordless also as it just makes the job quicker and saves running an extension.

I've never had an issue with my cordless angle grinder or cordless saw

On the saw front, just treated myself to this: https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/ma...-brushless-hedge-trimmer-inc-1x-5-0ah-battery

I measured my current (corded) trimmer, a £60 qualcast one and it was ~670mm lenghth so I wanted to match at least that if not more.

As you can see from above the garden will keep me busy, and I'm not particularly green fingered!

The ryobi does angle to about 80 degree or so, not sure if that's what you meant.

Caporegime
I dont want to chop them completely, just keep them trimmed (so maybe slightly neater than the photo).

I'd rather pay the tools than pay for labour as imagine it wouldnt take long until you've made up the cost of a tool and it's relatively easy labour.

I don't see how cordless is quicker on a 45m long garden. Surely it's going to require multiple recharges?

Soldato
I don't see how cordless is quicker on a 45m long garden. Surely it's going to require multiple recharges?
I have about 5 batteries so not a problem, but in my experience the other tools last a long time with 3Ah or 5Ah batteries. only time I've run out of battery is sawing through knots in sleepers with the disc saw (up the torque so ups the load). Ive got the drill, impact driver, flashlight, saw, angle grinder, multi tool and lawnmower (not tried lawnmower yet)

Caporegime
I have about 5 batteries so not a problem, but in my experience the other tools last a long time with 3Ah or 5Ah batteries. only time I've run out of battery is sawing through knots in sleepers with the disc saw (up the torque so ups the load). Ive got the drill, impact driver, flashlight, saw, angle grinder, multi tool and lawnmower (not tried lawnmower yet)

Cordless has its place sure but for big jobs corded usually wins in every category especially price and power. £300 Vs £60 is a huge difference even if you already have the batteries which more cost if you didn't.

Fair enough if you have 5 batteries and have them all charged and ready to go but personally if have went with this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-alli...240v-corded-electric-pole-hedge-trimmer/6928r

I have the pole saw and it's a beast just chewed right through trunks.

I own cordless tools but for big jobs I always go corded or for tools I'm not going to use often. They are just so much cheaper and so much more powerful too which is usually a win/win.

I will be buying a guide rail and a rail connector for my corded circular saw to convert it into a plunge saw or as good as. Got a few large projects involving wood coming up.

Soldato
Cordless has its place sure but for big jobs corded usually wins in every category especially price and power. .

Time/effort is the main factor for me. That and I don't want to lug 50m of extension cable around :cry:

I have never been left wanting for more power from good cordless tools. Price is the only negative but as long as they last the test of time evidently I believe its worth paying.

Back
Top Bottom