Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
They don’t have the same performance and some are of questionable quality.

I suppose the question should be framed as - do I want to save a few £ against worse performance and an increased potential to burn my house down.

Soldato
Depends on the underlying battery tech. Not any Tom, Dick or Harry can make a 5AH battery. My Dyson cordless replacement is non-genuine but it certainly contains Samsung cells.

Soldato
On amazon prime sale at the moment is a Bosch 18v cordless combi with 2 batteries for £60 -might be a good buy - I don't know as haven't checked otherwise.

ps - seems a good price

Soldato
I didn't think i'd need the multitool, jigsaw and heat gun... Go on sell it to me :p What are you going to use it for?

anything that requires less delicate cutting. I bought it to cut a bush with thick branches in the garden and will also use it to cut up some pallets in the garage and my old sofas when the new ones arrive so they can go to the dump.

plus the real reason men buy tools is because power tools = win

Soldato
What's the consensus on non-genuine additional 18v batteries?

Watching a few genuine 5ah 18v batteries currently but see absolutely heaps of 'replica' batteries on eBay. My head tells me it's a false economy, unlikely to give a similar duration operating time as a genuine battery or for capacity to diminish more quickly than an OEM.

Reviews are of course hit & miss but people are seemingly buying them.

I've a couple of Flagpower Dewalt ones. They're half the price (i've not seem them for sale for a while) of the genuine ones. As someone mentioned, they're not quite as good as my genuine 5ah battery, but then fact i could have 2 for the same price made it an easy choice.

Soldato
anything that requires less delicate cutting. I bought it to cut a bush with thick branches in the garden and will also use it to cut up some pallets in the garage and my old sofas when the new ones arrive so they can go to the dump.

plus the real reason men buy tools is because power tools = win

Yeah, i have a Parkside one from lidl that was ~£25, i sometimes contemplate splashing out on the Dewalt one just so i have access to the extra batteries but i'm too cheap.

Permabanned
I've been using non genuine Bosch and Makita batteries for years. Performance is identical to the branded ones and they have been more reliable as well.

The only non genuine battery I ever bought caught fire and melted not only battery but my charger. I would be very careful with cheap batteries. They are fine, but always keep an eye on them just in case, especially when they are charging!!

Permabanned
Picked up a dewalt recip saw today and ordered some blades from saxton.

Love these things should be on everyones list to have one they are so useful.

1NX5AU8.jpg

I agree with you one that. It was years before I bought one, could never see why anyone would want one, but since I bought one it has probably been my most used tool. They are fantastic for jobs that just don't need accuracy. Chopping up things for disposal, gardening, demolition, they really are very handy.

Soldato
The tools themselves seem fairly low spec but balanced by large batteries which can be useful if you go deep into their ecosystem.

If you just need a drill for DIY then I’d say it’s average at best.

Screwfix have this one on offer which is better value (IMO). Better tools with 3x3ah batteries at a similar price.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck2510l3t-gb-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/682fk

Not that long ago Screwfix has this kit with 2x4ah batteries for £200. That was a good deal.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...combi-drill-and-impact-driver-twin-pack/210hf

I’d check that other vendors like Toolstation and FFX etc have in, they may have something better.

Soldato

It's basically the lowest spec of the professional series brushless range and the slowish charger (not the RC version). The charger point is prob a bit moot since you are unlikely to run out of charge before you charge the spare battery.

However, they are still good, you get 2x5Ah batteries and a case.

Soldato
Pretty good with the two 5Ah batteries. I have that combi and it's pretty good for most jobs, screwdriving, drilling wood, drilling small holes in brick. My Makita LXT pile is growing...now have

combi drill
jigsaw
oscillating multi-tool
circular saw
and just added the hedge trimmer.

Haven't needed more than the 2x 3Ah batteries I have yet. Done a few decent size jobs like laying engineered wood floor and oak skirting (jigsaw and circular saw for them).

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Complete newbie when it comes to saws so looking for some advice. I'm going to be installing composite cladding to finish a concrete block retaining wall and looking for an electric saw to give clean cuts.

Curious if anyone has done anything similar, particularly 'horizontal' cuts across the entire 3.6M cladding board length. I cant imagine doing it handheld will be the neatest of cuts.

Back
Top Bottom