Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I can confirm 3ah is more than enough for home use.

I have the Makita BHP458 and have used it throughout my house renovation (from gutting to decorating) which I have two 3Ah batteries for and has been perfect, no issues, no running out of charge etc.

I use the batteries also in my Makita orbital sander and Makita multi tool which is convenient and still there is always enough power.

It is only recently I had to purchase an SDS as I needed to drill a 50mm circular hole through an outside wall, which my Makita could have done eventually (I'm pretty sure) if it had large enough attachments.

Associate
Yeah I am more inclined towards Bosch, just wasnt sure if because of liking one brand I am missing out on performance / value a lot.

I have several tripods for cameras and studio lights, should be fine in that regard.

I've looked at this laser:
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gcl-2-15-cross-line-laser-with-rm1-wall-mount-0601066e02

Lights are deffinately on the list, I will need a lot of other tools like socket extensions, hammers, levels bla bla...for now just decided to get the combi kit as it's used a lot and start off my tools purchasing.

Not sure currently but I do have plans to purchase a heavy duty drill (SDS) but I think thats later on my list at the moment. Will need to take tiles off and later on we have plans to remove one wall so heavy duty tools will be required.

How reliable are these sensors? I did aee one in the shop, started researching and found tons of reviews saying its a hit and miss detecting things.

Thanks!

Soldato
I’d probably go Makita.

I’ve found they have the biggest range of tools and you can usually get really good prices when you look at their “bare” tools. Things like multi tools/circular saws tend to be a lot cheaper than Bosch when you need to add extra tools.

Dewalt and Ryobi are similar prices too with a great range.

As mentioned above. The fake batteries are decent too. I have some Floureon Dewalt ones and they’ve been every bit as good as the official ones. Plus if you buy from amazon returns are easy if you have issues.

Soldato
I have several tripods for cameras and studio lights, should be fine in that regard.

I've looked at this laser:
https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gcl-2-15-cross-line-laser-with-rm1-wall-mount-0601066e02

Yup that’s the same laser kit I have just without the box. Good price.

On the sensor it’s a little bit of a fuzzy area - I have the Bosch trouvo. It’s ok but with a switch being the only control it can’t be adjusted other than a battery-out recalibration.
It has saved us a few times from live cables and tracing out metal, wires and stud work. It can be over sensitive for example we have a large number of cables including power under the stairs but it picks up the large amount of electrical interference and thinks there’s power around also it picks up the brick/block but can’t tell you with just the just the single multicolour light.
It works but i’d like a but better feedback and tuning.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup that’s the same laser kit I have just without the box. Good price.

On the sensor it’s a little bit of a fuzzy area - I have the Bosch trouvo. It’s ok but with a switch being the only control it can’t be adjusted other than a battery-out recalibration.
It has saved us a few times from live cables and tracing out metal, wires and stud work. It can be over sensitive for example we have a large number of cables including power under the stairs but it picks up the large amount of electrical interference and thinks there’s power around also it picks up the brick/block but can’t tell you with just the just the single multicolour light.
It works but i’d like a but better feedback and tuning.
I've got the same I think, it's incredibly sensitive (so much that it's difficult to identify where cable sheathing is if you want to drill adjacent).

Tbh it's that oversensitive you can't even use it in some applications adjacent to other metal items

Soldato
Soldato
I'm planning on installing some decking this summer, just after advise on what i'll need. I currently have a light weight makita impact driver / drill combo and a crappy titan jig saw.
I'm not sure if it's worth the outlay of a circular saw as I don't think I'll get much use out of it. Was thinking of getting a cordless jigsaw.
What's a decent priced cordless jigsaw?
Also thinking of an cordless sds drill as there's many occasions I've got annoyed drilling holes and struggling for power. So something that uses the same battery in the jigsaw and sds?

Soldato
What holes are you drilling where you're struggling for power? My Dewalt combi drill has drilled a 18mm hole through a 70cm thick wall. I'd potentially just be tempted by a better combi drill. I assume your Makita stuff is 18v?

How big is your decking? Instead of a circular saw, what about a Mitre saw? It'd be a lot quicker for cutting your decking than a jigsaw.

Soldato
I can't see you needing an SDS for decking. I do have a 2Kg SDS and it's the one tool where I deliberately went for the mains option.

I'd definitely use a mitre saw for decking. You can get something good enough for less than the cost of a decent battery jigsaw (and **** jigsaws are useless for anything but thin sheet).

Soldato
On decking I would go for a decent impact driver/drill combo - 18 or 24v. Not many screws can take a toque driver so stick with a normal impact.

An SDS can’t hammer on wood, would also be larger than the possible spots you want to screw in. Only if you’re going to put holes in concrete or brick would I suggest one.

Soldato
Sorry to be clear I just want an sds drill for other bits not for the decking =) drilling into concrete and brick, the occasional bit of metal too. Just thought if getting a jig saw and I go cordless it would be good to get one I can battery share with.
My makita drill/driver set is the one with the small battery 10v I think. Good for small jobs or in cramped places.
I'll have a look at a mitre saw, can they be used without a workbench (ie can I put it on the floor and do my cuts) there's loads on screw fix when I looked varying in price from 40ish upwards.
The decking isn't going to be massive 4meter x 4 meter roughly

Soldato
For decking I'd strongly recommend a mitre saw over a jigsaw, will be much quicker and straighter cuts.

And yes it can just be placed on the floor, just use scraps of wood at the other end of your decking planks to keep them level.

Soldato
I'm planning on installing some decking this summer, just after advise on what i'll need. I currently have a light weight makita impact driver / drill combo and a crappy titan jig saw.
I'm not sure if it's worth the outlay of a circular saw as I don't think I'll get much use out of it. Was thinking of getting a cordless jigsaw.
What's a decent priced cordless jigsaw?
Also thinking of an cordless sds drill as there's many occasions I've got annoyed drilling holes and struggling for power. So something that uses the same battery in the jigsaw and sds?

Maybe something like these?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck440l3t-18v-3ah-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-4-piece-kit/7751X
https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...e-bevel-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-230v/2965v

Soldato

Seems pricey, I would get a mains powered SDS, more powerful and cheaper.

Cheap and chearful SDS for home DIY will be more than good enough given how little use it will get long term.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tt...s-drill-22-piece-accessory-kit-230-240v/4172g

Something like this is more than adequate for home DIY including decking.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...ess-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/9801t

This one is slightly better but slightly more money but the first one is more than fine.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/5742x

Some people will flinch at the small batteries but they are more than fine for DIY and you get two. They last for hundreds of screws per charge and take next to no time to re-charge. When doing a long job like decking you wont need to be swapping between a drill and impact driver if you use proper deck screws, they just go straight in with the impact driver.

I have either this or the 255mm version, great value bits of kit.

The only thing you may need to do is split a deck board to fill a smaller gap at one end, you really want a hand held circular saw for this. A jigsaw will do it if you can cut a long straight line but that's very difficult if the jigsaw doesn't have any guides for cutting straight lines. You could have course do it by hand as it will only be one (long) cut.

Again something corded on the circular saw will be more than fine, I wouldn't bother splashing over a ton on a cordless given how little use it will probably get and its not like you will be working on a building site in the middle of nowhere and have no power.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-r165ccsl-1200w-165mm-circular-saw-230v/266fx

Again if your looking at jigsaws I wouldn't bother with a cordless, you'll be using it clamped to a workbench or similar. The benefits from not being tethered are far less than something like a drill and you can get a better mains one for way less money.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless your drilling castle walls/stone or breaking then i’d go for a 2Kg class SDS.
6.3kg up a ladder is a lump to hold steady.

I’ve abused my 2Kg class SDS.. 150mm coring, large diameter long bits through thick concrete to lay armoured cable etc. Even used it to take tiles off the kitchen wall and take out pointing. Variable speed trigger (900rpm max) and lots of torque - it’s be used for metal drilling and screwdriving.
Only thing it does struggle is acting as a concrete driveway breaker - it needs a needle point and patience.. but at that point it’s better using a titan breaker or a sledgehammer.
3.2J sds will blow the backs of house bricks out as you drill through - any more and it would take the entire brick out.

Mine: https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gbh-2-28-1-7kg-corded-sds-plus-drill-110v/7702r

As long as the sds has a safety clutch, 700W+ corded and selectable drill, hammer drill and chisel along with being usable up a ladder then it’s a good drill imho.

I’d be tempted by the Bosch impact driver/wrench - 185Nm, variable speed and reverse. 18V combo with the drill too.
My old 18V green Bosch drill is still going - it’s covered.. plastered, painted, glued and scratched.. 7 years and it’s batteries are still going good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had the Bosch GDX Impact Driver ordered and canceled it after some less than favourable reviews. Admittedly it was poor performance in some of the highest demand tasks (100mm coach bolts into solid oak) but comparable models from DeWalt etc managed the task.

Despite me being all on Bosch Blue 18V I ended up getting a DeWalt DCF887 18V model.

Soldato
I had the Bosch GDX Impact Driver ordered and canceled it after some less than favourable reviews. Admittedly it was poor performance in some of the highest demand tasks (100mm coach bolts into solid oak) but comparable models from DeWalt etc managed the task.

Despite me being all on Bosch Blue 18V I ended up getting a DeWalt DCF887 18V model.

Interesting - they have a impact wrench with stupid amounts on torque.
I’ve heard that Bosch products have had their protection cut in before and reduced power.

Back
Top Bottom