Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
@Kol I like having the same tools, which is a little silly sometimes.

When i need something new i do consider buying a new brand though just to branch out and give me an "in" into another battery eco system. Whilst for some tools the bare prices are much of a muchness. For others there can be a huge swing and it'd be nice not to be tied into Dewalt.

The cordless sander being one. The Dewalt one is £150 for the bare tool, the Makita is £85ish and the Ryobi is £50! I know the Dewalt is brushless, but when you would just like to have something to hand for small jobs it's a big expense.

Although given Metabo are generally as expensive as it comes that probably doesn't apply :p Not tempted by the new Milwaukee range in Screwfix?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yea, well, ummmm I think I may have to strike Metabo off my wishlist given the prices. In that case I may as well stick with Makita but you make a very valid point about not necessarily being tied it but equally it's a bonus perhaps?

The Milwaukee range is another that quite a few guys I follow on YouTube use, looks pretty tasty.

Finally, it absolutely does apply - it's hard enough justifying items I don't need, let alone an item I don't need immediately and at a ridiculous price.

Soldato
Interesting - I've wanted an impact driver for a while, but had no reason to justify one. My problem is, do I jump ship from Makita? I'm being drawn to Metabo, but that's subtle micro influencers for you.

If you're driving a lot of screws into wood, then yes, you need a impact driver. With the right screws, you don't even bother with pilot holes, just drive them straight in, and you keep your drill driver free for other tasks (no swapping of bits all the time, etc).

As for swapping brands, it depends on how much you've bought into a company's eco-system. If you've already got batteries and chargers, then you can save money just by buying a bare impact driver and using the stuff you've already got. It's not like Makita is a bad brand if you're buying their better products.

If you don't care about using the stuff you've already got, then you can jump ship to anywhere as long as you don't mind having another separate set of batteries/chargers, and the additional cost at the beginning.

Be aware that there does seem to be a bit of snobbery in the professional business when it comes to makes. I remember years ago Makita was the professional brand, and when they went mainstream, all the pros sang the praises of DeWalt, then it was Milwaukee, and when they went mainstream, it was something else and then something else again. A lot of builders/joiners love their toys, and like to get new stuff all the time. Unless you're making your living with these tools, most people will not notice a lot of difference for casual usage.

Soldato
I don't see the point in buying trade rated, and priced, power tools as a DIYer. I use them for maybe a dozen weekend projects per year (for the most used tools, like drill), so there's not much point paying extra for heavy durability.

Had to replace my 12yr old B&D combi drill recently, as the old battery finally gave up. Got a Stanley FatMax one with 2x 2ah batteries for £60 from B&Q. I'm happy with the quality, and the rest of the FatMax cordless range seems pretty reasonably priced if I decide to go down that route later.

This impact driver talk is getting me interested in one of those. Have never tried one - are they really that much better? I could sure see the advantage of having two tools - rather than swapping from pilot hole drilling to driving with just my combi drill.

Soldato
This impact driver talk is getting me interested in one of those. Have never tried one - are they really that much better? I could sure see the advantage of having two tools - rather than swapping from pilot hole drilling to driving with just my combi drill.

Yes, they hammer the back of the screw as it's going in, so if you were doing a bigger project (like decking or whatever) the time saving of not drilling pilot holes or having to swap bits becomes significant. It just makes the workflow simpler and quicker.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Very valid points gents. I think I may as well stick with Makita then given the above. @Steampunk that's an interesting observation actually, looking back over the years that's literally what has happened to the pros I follow.

Soldato
Finally, it absolutely does apply - it's hard enough justifying items I don't need, let alone an item I don't need immediately and at a ridiculous price.

Was more meaning that by going Metabo you're not going to get the benefit of cheaper tools in their range as they're most likely to be more expensive than Makita.

What i used to be often tempted by is something like the Erbauer range (especially the new ones) to give me an "in" to their tools so that for less used tools like a sander/angle grinder i could pick up their bare tools much cheaper than the comparable Dewalt and for stuff i just "want" rather than "need" i don't want to spend a lot.

But ultimately the answer is yes, get an Impact Driver. They are superb. if you don't want to spend a lot maybe look on Facebook groups for used ones. Thats an advantage of Makita i guess, same with Dewalt. There's a big second hand market and some stuff looks barely used (obviously some stuff is also battered!)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Was more meaning that by going Metabo you're not going to get the benefit of cheaper tools in their range as they're most likely to be more expensive than Makita.

What i used to be often tempted by is something like the Erbauer range (especially the new ones) to give me an "in" to their tools so that for less used tools like a sander/angle grinder i could pick up their bare tools much cheaper than the comparable Dewalt and for stuff i just "want" rather than "need" i don't want to spend a lot.

But ultimately the answer is yes, get an Impact Driver. They are superb. if you don't want to spend a lot maybe look on Facebook groups for used ones. Thats an advantage of Makita i guess, same with Dewalt. There's a big second hand market and some stuff looks barely used (obviously some stuff is also battered!)

Sorry, just re-read my message, it looks aggressive(!) but was actually supposed to be completely agreeing with you and simply highlighting how it is when I'm saying to my wife what I "need" (read: want)!! :o:p

Good tip, I might do that. My problem, though, is once I have one of something I want all of it. So a makita cordless angle grinder, circular saw, site radio (why?)....

Soldato
Sorry, just re-read my message, it looks aggressive(!) but was actually supposed to be completely agreeing with you and simply highlighting how it is when I'm saying to my wife what I "need" (read: want)!! :o:p

Good tip, I might do that. My problem, though, is once I have one of something I want all of it. So a makita cordless angle grinder, circular saw, site radio (why?)....

That way lies madness! I find it's better just to buy what you need when you need it. Stuff is always getting cheaper and better, there's no point spending tons on something you don't need as it will be superseded a couple of years down the line when you actually have a job come up that you need it for.

Last edited:
Soldato

They're one of them tools that you don't really need as a DIYer (if you have a combi), but they are nice to have. If you're doing a big decking job for example, they would be a god send for firing in all the screws on the deck and using the combi for pre drilling.

They're also great for putting in big chunky screws, like the framing bolts that dont require pre drilling. An impact driver will fire them in with 0 effort, whereas the combi will be trying to twist your wrist the whole time.

They also have the benefit of being smaller and lighter, which is ideal for using in small spaces like kitchen cabinets. Plus I can hook mine on my tool belt and it's like its not even there. As a tradesman I love mine and can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

The only negative is that they are LOUD.

Associate
@Kol I like having the same tools, which is a little silly sometimes.

When i need something new i do consider buying a new brand though just to branch out and give me an "in" into another battery eco system. Whilst for some tools the bare prices are much of a muchness. For others there can be a huge swing and it'd be nice not to be tied into Dewalt.

The cordless sander being one. The Dewalt one is £150 for the bare tool, the Makita is £85ish and the Ryobi is £50! I know the Dewalt is brushless, but when you would just like to have something to hand for small jobs it's a big expense.

Although given Metabo are generally as expensive as it comes that probably doesn't apply :p Not tempted by the new Milwaukee range in Screwfix?

Metabo is very good! have a few bits of there kit 6" random orbital is about the best out there old version i have is made for Dewalt now you get two orbit sizes with press of a button on side.
Have same case system as Festool/Fein so can stack and lock in

Makita is very good also but remember if you buy from likes of screw fix it's made for them to there price and coded likewise! but check the net as many tool places have deals few good ones in south london/west

Makita is the father of cordless as that was there area back in the day.
Bosch was Jigsaws/Angle grinders/SDS drills
Dewalt was Chopsaws/saws/and joined with ELU and did routers/Floor sanders etc as ELU was motor makers or known as.
Atlas copco/AEG and some others went into creating Millwaukee
Skil was Circular saws and a type of percussison masonary drills

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
That way lies madness! I find it's better just to buy what you need when you need it. Stuff is always getting cheaper and better, there's no point spending tons on something you don't need as it will be superseded a couple of years down the line when you actually have a job come up that you need it for.

Stop being the voice of reason / sensible about this! :p

Seriously though, you are right. However, I think I will invest in a makita impact driver now as I do have a few jobs coming up where it will be handy.

Soldato
Makita is the father of cordless as that was there area back in the day.
Bosch was Jigsaws/Angle grinders/SDS drills
Dewalt was Chopsaws/saws/and joined with ELU and did routers/Floor sanders etc as ELU was motor makers or known as.
Atlas copco/AEG and some others went into creating Millwaukee
Skil was Circular saws and a type of percussison masonary drills

Companies change hands so much over time and move production to the far east to save money and people still associate the brand name with the quality it once produced. A good example of this is Record, they used to make awesome quality Vices, clamps, planes, chisels etc. All made in Shefield with decent steel, but now the company was bought by Irwin and it's all made in China. People still buy the Chinese made vices, thinking they're buying a quality 'Record' product and pay £80 for it, when the exact same vice can be bought for like £20 without the record logo.

Soldato
Yeah can get good deals on the garden stuff.

I bought my leaf blower using perfect man logic

Paid £160 for the blower, charger and 5ah battery. Sold the charger and battery for £60. Then there was also a deal at the time to send off for a free DCD796 drill. I already had a DCD795 so sold the drill for £70 making the blower only £30 :D

Associate
Paid £160 for the blower, charger and 5ah battery. Sold the charger and battery for £60. Then there was also a deal at the time to send off for a free DCD796 drill. I already had a DCD795 so sold the drill for £70 making the blower only £30 :D

Does indeed sounds like perfect man logic at work there, although for 10/10 you'd have kept the 796 drill and sold the 795 for a cheeky upgrade :D

I'm eyeing up a Ryobi One+ Mower/Charger/Battery bundle atm mainly as I can flog on my petrol mower for about the same cost, sell the charger and gain an extra 5.0ah battery for my impact wrench in the process. Just no idea how good the mower will be compared to petrol (although I'm downsizing house atm, so petrol mower is overkill for future lawn...)

Back
Top Bottom