Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
Companies change hands so much over time and move production to the far east to save money and people still associate the brand name with the quality it once produced. A good example of this is Record, they used to make awesome quality Vices, clamps, planes, chisels etc. All made in Shefield with decent steel, but now the company was bought by Irwin and it's all made in China. People still buy the Chinese made vices, thinking they're buying a quality 'Record' product and pay £80 for it, when the exact same vice can be bought for like £20 without the record logo.

hi yep along with Marples Chisels utter crap now made out of monkey metal steel. Bosch joined many sending there gear out there while rubbish now 9" angle grinders was the holy grail everyone and his dog used them but now rubbish bits fail in them so quickly. ive one of the originals still plus a 4 1/2 my 5" is Hitachi there great kit something have to love as going to have for a long time!
Have an old AEG 9" (reminded me need to sort to sell!)it is so smooth running none of that grr grr grating get on new ones.

Fein and Festool are great have a fein Multi tool can do more or less anything with it sand/cut/scrape even bang nails in with it!
Friends using the festool guide saw circular saw with plunge action you run it along a guide plate/rail now Dewalt and Makita have copied it.

Vices/grips are something have to check! many vices was made in india! Hand tool wise like Bhaco they make a god set of Chisels also but have there socket sets.do have two of the original Stanley Steel master hammers 16 and 20oz made in england! i also had the hatchet but like a dumbo gave it to someone but do have an Estwing one which holds an edge! also there hammers are the chippies love child.

Soldato
So.. after not very much thought I've taken the plunge... not a bad buy at £38 (body only) plus it's compatible with my combi drill batteries. May invest in a new 2.0ah battery down the line but have 2x 1.5ah batteries that are ok at the moment. Hopefully get to test it out on the weekend!

IMG-20190509-105700.jpg

Soldato
So.. after not very much thought I've taken the plunge... not a bad buy at £38 (body only) plus it's compatible with my combi drill batteries. May invest in a new 2.0ah battery down the line but have 2x 1.5ah batteries that are ok at the moment. Hopefully get to test it out on the weekend!

IMG-20190509-105700.jpg
Pic not working

Is it a Stanley impact driver (guessing based on past posts)? Where was it £38?

Soldato
Think imgbb is having issues. Awful slow for me. Should be ok now though.

Had it from B&Q. Was looking at the other Stanley cordless tools whilst I was there.. May pick up the random orbital sander for a big picnic table I need to restore sometime.

Soldato
I got all my Stanley Fat max stuff when Homebase was taken over by that Aussie company - Only one I didn't get was angle grinder as I have a 240v DeWalt - I never thought I would use any of them but all have come in very useful over the last few years.
Also got a Stanley 240v plane for £20 -It's a bit big and on the heavy side. - I do wish I had picked up the 240v drill as well for £20
I have two hammer 18v drills and one drill/driver - got them for the batteries as it wasn't much more for the drills.

One thing I have done is buy key chucks for two of them - my hand can't do the keyless up or undo them.

Soldato
Haha i'll refer you back to my point "a"

It just feels much more satisfactory holding a piece of wood in place and hearing "thump" than the racket of the impact driver. Plus it feels like you need 3 hands sometimes, one to hold the wood in place, one to hold the screw and another for the driver. I know you can drive it in a little before hand to hold it in place but it's still a hassle.

Soldato
I have had this Triton (or Titan) saw horse for a few months now and I am getting my head round it a bit - It isn't just for holding wood to saw up or plane-- as you can see I have my bench grinders on boards (I have a 6" one as well) which I clamp into the jaws and there is no way they will move. I have also clamped the pillar drill in there and best part is it's much higher than my cluttered bench so it's easier on the back - The other thing is I already had that large board which I clamped into a workmate to put bench saw on -- I have just added another piece of scrap ply to the base and two battens underneath to make a clean work area. -I could clamp it by one end and it will just sit there solid as a rock-- It is very stable and folds up so I can shove it in a corner when not needed.
I rate it higher than my B&D workmate.

414221933.jpg

414221932.jpg

Soldato
30 sec you are up and running - because it has three legs it will sit on any uneven ground - - The legs do not adjust in length. -- I have just acquired three foot of 4mm aluminium angle to make some soft vice jaws - set for my 6" vice and a set for this saw horse - engineers jaws are around 30 quid. With the engineers jaws you can hammer ten balls of crap out of steel.

I would say I don't think I wasted my money - it is very handy.

Soldato
How are Bosch drills rated these days?

I've been keeping my eye on a PSB 1800 LI-2 and they've popped up on Amazons deal of the day, close to the lowest price they've ever been,

Wondering whether to snap one up, or if i should be looking at other brands.

Soldato
Thanks both!

If its your first drill, or you've not put money into another brand for its batteries, charger etc, then this is a good deal in my eyes

Yep first drill so not invested in a brand yet, but wouldn't want to have bought into Bosch if the rest of their tools are a bit ****, but everything i've read seems to suggest they're still a well regarded brand.

Back
Top Bottom