Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
OP
I drink too much too tbh. And I've also been single for a while :p (this isn't me hitting on you y0).

The 3-4kg you've put on in your weeks off won't all be fat. There's a good portion of it that will be water retention. You'll find at least a kg of it will slip off extremely quickly as you get back into things.

Sup girl? ;)

I was up at 63/64 and was down to <62 within 3 days of eating well and exercising again this week. It really is a mental thing, when you are used to be very lean all the time you feel like a whale very quickly :p Pizza and whisky for the winter blues!

Soldato
So I think I'm due an FTP re-test as it's been about 9 months and I'll be using TR with a bit more structure over the next few months when it's unfavourable to ride outside. Doing so with an FTP setting I know is far too easy is counterproductive and my ability and desire to suffer has improved somewhat :p

Into the 80KG's from my last test where I was 83/84KG and I'm also lifting less due to cycling taking priority. Unsurprisingly I've been performing better as a result despite being in a deficit.

Last weeks VO2 Max TR session:

7GSjtWxl.png.jpg

Previous FTP was around 305w@83KG with a MHR of about 172. Now at 80KG and a bit more experience & technique under my belt I can pump out significantly more power for longer and have a new MHR of around 184.

Hoping for a significant increase tomorrow :)

Man of Honour
Nice work. I've jumped back on the turbo though I'm still remembering how to deal with the pain and also remembering that I need to eat some food *before* I go on it. I had a pretty hideous bonk last night about 30 minutes in and had to stop, down an energy gel or two and take it easy for 5 minutes. Tonight I'm finally going tom complete a sweet spot session (lol :() and tomorrow I'll probably have a go with Sufferfest Revolver and cry a lot.

Soldato
Nice work. I've jumped back on the turbo though I'm still remembering how to deal with the pain and also remembering that I need to eat some food *before* I go on it. I had a pretty hideous bonk last night about 30 minutes in and had to stop, down an energy gel or two and take it easy for 5 minutes. Tonight I'm finally going tom complete a sweet spot session (lol :() and tomorrow I'll probably have a go with Sufferfest Revolver and cry a lot.

Yeah, I've felt a hypo come on a few times lately. On longer sessions (over an hour) I'll take a couple of hundred calories in with me. Anything less and I don't usually bother. Though as I'm in a prolonged deficit now I do start to feel it, for example yesterday at the gym and last week on the turbo. Did the VO2 session on the Tuesday and was fine with half a bar prior on the Thursday I was just doing some sweet spot work (can't remember what I ate, if anything), much much less taxing overall but still felt myself go half way :(

Not bonked out the road in forever which is good :p

FTP tests are a bit of a confliction, the more honest you are and harder you push during the 20 minutes then the harder (and of course more productive) all your following workouts will be too :p

Some of my favourite shorter mid-week TR workouts. (So many to explore!)

Elwell

Williamson *1.33 (I customised this with a 4th interval and proper warm down)

Tom

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My issue is that when I jump on the turbo I've already ridden 16-20 miles and usually done a weights session. Plus I'm running quite a harsh deficit atm so...it all adds up to things going a bit wrong :p

I think you tend to focus more on VO2 max and above threshold levels whereas I tend to go a bit overboard with sweet spot and threshold. Probably somewhere between the two is a good point to settle on :) I definitely need to do something to improve my max power later this week.

edit: Your second link doesn't work for me btw - I guess it's a custom workout and not available to everyone?

Soldato
My issue is that when I jump on the turbo I've already ridden 16-20 miles and usually done a weights session. Plus I'm running quite a harsh deficit atm so...it all adds up to things going a bit wrong :p

I think you tend to focus more on VO2 max and above threshold levels whereas I tend to go a bit overboard with sweet spot and threshold. Probably somewhere between the two is a good point to settle on :) I definitely need to do something to improve my max power later this week.

edit: Your second link doesn't work for me btw - I guess it's a custom workout and not available to everyone?

That doesn't surprise me then!

My sweet spot & threshold work will be my longer rides 2hr+ which I haven't done in quite a while on the trainer. They're alright just I don't find them as challenging as VO2 max and +Threshold work.

Yeah, it's 'Williamson' but with a 4th round and longer warm down added on. Using the utility you can customise existing workouts or create your own. :)

Man of Honour
That doesn't surprise me then!

My sweet spot & threshold work will be my longer rides 2hr+ which I haven't done in quite a while on the trainer. They're alright just I don't find them as challenging as VO2 max and +Threshold work.

Yeah, it's 'Williamson' but with a 4th round and longer warm down added on. Using the utility you can customise existing workouts or create your own. :)

The harder efforts are definitely more challenging than the shorter sweet-spot intervals though I would say that the rides where you hold just below FTP for 3 x 20 minute intervals are damn hard if your FTP setting is anything close to correct :) It's that deceptive feeling at the start where it doesn't seem so bad but then the fatigue really builds up. That said, I do find VO2/threshold intervals make the time go quicker as you can't really focus on much beyond the sweat and tears :p It's one of the reasons I really enjoy Sufferfest Revolver - just simple pain in 1 minute intervals.

Williamson does look like fun too. Perhaps I'll try it out soon.

Soldato
I just find a more dynamic workout more enjoyable and that the time passes a bit quicker. Less monotonous than pumping out the same wattage for 20 minutes at a time :) though needs must sometimes!

Soldato
Update

Noob gains :p:cool::)

May 2015

Username - BennyC
Age - 26
Height - 5ft 10in
Weight - 84KG
FTP (60min) - FTP W/KG -
CP (20min) - 304w CP W/KG - 3.61
5min - 362w
1min - 447w
5sec - 684w
1sec -
Gear - Cycleops Mag + Garmin HRM & GSC10 + Trainer Road (Virtual Power)
Info - Adjusted FTP from 20 minute test

Oct 2015

Username - BennyC
Age - 26
Height - 5ft 10in
Weight - 81KG
FTP (60min) - FTP W/KG -
CP (20min) - 331w CP W/KG - 4.09
5min - 364w
1min - 510w
5sec - 825w
1sec -

(I haven't entered 60 min power as it's a little outdated from June and I haven't actually ridden 'hard' for 60 solid minutes to date!)

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2486603-20-Minute-Test

xiIezUm.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm fairly sure if I tested my FTP now it would be higher too..but my weight has gone in the other direction so my W/KG will definitely be lower. Frustrating :)

Swings and roundabouts :)

A combination of becoming more conditioned, technique and suffering plus being a little lighter made a rather large jump w/kg for me.

I couldn't get comfy last night and didn't have much of a rhythm either. I'm sure mine is probably a little higher than this but for now this should make my turbo workouts a little more productive.

I've always ridden above the projected FTP since May/June and just gauged intensities myself but this should push me a little bit more now.

Soldato
Is there a recommended way to do a 20 minute test with a powermeter?

If I was just going by HR I'd try and hold say 165 for 20 minutes which with power would probably be a declining figure over the test. With power if I try and hold say 240w then I'll start with a lower HR but it'll rise all the way through to being close to max at the end.

Updates from the last couple months rides - short term power seems fine, really need to work on longer power output now

Username - DanF
Age - 37
Height - 6ft
Weight - 78 > 74kg
FTP (60min) - 220w FTP 2.82 W/KG > strava estimate 237 FTP 3.2 W/KG (not sure about that)
CP (20min) - 245w CP 3.14 W/KG > 245 CP W/KG 3.31 (need to retest this soon)
5min - 258 > 279w
1min - 355 > 498w
5sec - 659 > 938w
1sec - 814 > 975w
Gear - P2m with Garmin Edge 810
Info - CP test from roller session

I've got a miss-reading for 1s of 1450 from a ride a couple of months ago :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a recommended way to do a 20 minute test with a powermeter?

Google 20min FTP testing protocol. Its usually warm up, 5 mins max, recovery, then 20min max effort, with FTP at 95% of 20min max. Although this is usually slightly overstated.

NP for a pretty much max hour (crit or something) is also a good indicator.

I usually have a pretty good idea of FTP, but basically you just have to strike out at a wattage, and see if you can hold on. If you go too deep at the beginning you'll pay for it at the end, so being honest with yourself helps a lot in order to get as close to a variability index of 1, through the interval as possible.

Soldato
Down under 79kg now getting ready for racing!

Four times up/down Mt Panorama this morning after a hard session yday. I didn't want to do it as my legs hurt last night but my training buddy dragged me out and I'm glad he did!

Up the shallow side 340w average and the steep side 360w each time. Steep side is harder as its up/down a bit more between 8 and 14%, the other is a more constant 11%.

Soldato
New 1 and 5 minute power records this evening despite dead legs & shin splints from walking and squatting Monday & yesterday.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/2546194-Elwell

Username - BennyC
Age - 26
Height - 5ft 10in
Weight - 81KG
FTP (60min) - FTP W/KG -
CP (20min) - 331w CP W/KG - 4.09
5min - 379w
1min - 560w
5sec - 825w
1sec -
Info: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/bennyc

364W & 510W previously.

Associate
Now i've got my kickr and Strava Premium I can get some numbers down to work on over the winter

Username - dodg3rman
Age - 47
Height - 6ft 2"
Weight - 83kg
FTP(20min) - 264
5min -345
1min - 484
5sec - 961
1sec - 1194
Gear - Wahoo Kickr
Info - FTP taken from Zwift ftp test

Soldato
Mine can be updated, FTP is now 240 (from 25/11/15) - FTP short 20min test on Zwift (20min avg*0.95)

Weight was down to 76kg September time, up to 77/78kg now. May increase slightly over xmas but I hope I don't go much above 80kg until I trim back down in the spring. Hoping to hover around 75kg but my main aim now is power/stamina.

Now i've got my kickr and Strava Premium I can get some numbers down to work on over the winter

You're joking right? :p The amount I've seen you do on Zwift the last few weeks means you're putting in a huge amount already! Gonna put us all to shame! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom