Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
Had a good training ride today, we drove out of town 30 minutes and rode out on one of the best alpine climbs in Australia aparantly, it was in a magazines of my mates. Very steep descent average 10% for like 4km to popular tourist caves. We were nice and early so almost no traffic as half of it is single lane.

Climb out of the caves is what we went for, over 8km at 5%. I had a good crack, 23 minutes, average power of 346w, 3 minutes off the KOM! Strava hasn't picked me up for some reason so I flagged it with them and hopefully they can edit it.

I was a bit fatigued from yesterday's morning bunch, but I think I could only have done 5-15w more. I went a bit hard at the bottom and faded a little but not too bad.

Got to train for our event in December, the climb there is similar after 80km of racing, maybe a touch steeper and 1km shorter. Last year strava average was 300w and I lost 2 minutes in C grade. Masters B this year, speaking to guys from last year they did 400w (over 5w kg) to finish inside the top 5 on that stage! I think if I can do 350w and get to between 75-77kg I'll be happy.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't post on here that much but I'll play.

Username - thepeteh
Age - 26
Height - 6ft
Weight - 76KG
FTP (60min) - 315
CP (20min) - 345
W/KG 4.5

Gear - Stages, & Powertap
Info - Train 4-7hrs cycling a week, with running and swimming extra.
Not done much in max powers shorter than 5min as it's never been part of my training. 1sec power today was 1300+ (in a 3000m altitude chamber!)
Do blood testing and max ramp test in a lab every 6 months to establish training zones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Need to do some proper testing across 20 minute intervals and below but my PBs so far are:

Username - One More Solo
Age - 27
Height - 5ft 11in
Weight - 69KG
FTP (60min) - 251w FTP W/KG - 3.64
CP (20min) - 291w CP W/KG - 4.22
5min - 319w
1min - 546w
5sec - 871w
1sec - 932w
Gear - Power2Max and Garmin 800
Info -
60min from 25 mile TT so in TT position, road bike higher than that I would imagine
20 min from random climb on road bike
5 min from 9 minute hill climb effort so actual 5 min should be higher (I hope!)
1 min from 2 minute hill climb effort so actual 1 min should be higher

Soldato
Need to retest mine really, dropped a couple of KG and not squatting as much anymore which is making notable improvement on my rides and power output in general.

Maybe in December when it's cold out, expecting quite a large jump as my previous LTHR I can sit at quite comfortably now :) :eek:

Soldato
OP
I have returned from my 2 weeks of getting drunk and fat.
Peteh and Solo will add you guys to first page this evening :)

Berger, at least we can live a race season through you whilst we all moan and put up with winter. Got Strava for the climb in the race? 7km @ 5-6% avg after 80km pushing >5wkg is impressive. Is the climb close to the race finish? I can imagine balls out to bottom of that climb and then obliteration of the bunch, you must be racing against some seriously strong guys, is there a lot fo guys in the bunch who could push >5wkg on a climb like that after hard racing or are there a few standout guys racing in your area who will contest that for a win?

Soldato
I have returned from my 2 weeks of getting drunk and fat.
Peteh and Solo will add you guys to first page this evening :)

Berger, at least we can live a race season through you whilst we all moan and put up with winter. Got Strava for the climb in the race? 7km @ 5-6% avg after 80km pushing >5wkg is impressive. Is the climb close to the race finish? I can imagine balls out to bottom of that climb and then obliteration of the bunch, you must be racing against some seriously strong guys, is there a lot fo guys in the bunch who could push >5wkg on a climb like that after hard racing or are there a few standout guys racing in your area who will contest that for a win?

It's a hilltop finish at the top of the climb, I believe they used to race down he other side but stopped due to the danger, it's fairly narrow and twisty.

https://www.strava.com/segments/634373?filter=overall

This is last year, I did 25:06 then, a 21-22 minute would be at the pointy end I think.

We did a combined A&B scratch race today which I won, we had a break of 3, one guy wasn't doing much but me and the other guy rolled strong and I won the sprint.

Got an extra few Kay's in after, including a lap of mt panorama for a leg tune up. I had to stop 3/4 of the way up as I was sweating so much it went in my eyes and I couldn't see where I was riding. Bit of a speed wobble coming back down, running tubulars and but of a cross wind so was a bit nervous over 70kmh, still clocked over 80....

Soldato
Urgh, dieting sucks.

Got to think about racing in 6 weeks time, been cutting out the biscuits and really trying not to eat.

Lost 5lb in 6 weeks, down to just under 80kg now from a winter weight of almost 82. Some of this weight is bound to be more muscle as I was less than this last year without trying as hard, I've been riding more so got to make sure I don't under eat. If I could lose another 5lb then I'd be happy!

Smashed it yday on the bunch ride going for 10 minute power PB. After 6 minutes when I looked at my average and it was almost 410w I realised I'd overcooked it a bit, plus I had nobody left to race then so harder to push yourself solo. Dropped back to 385w for ten mins which was up 15w on that climb.

Soldato
OP
I done some reading up on "carb backloading" recently and I think it seems a good idea and it makes sense in my stupid brain.... Protein and fats all day with very very little carbs and then eat carbs AFTER your workouts. The info I was reading did say that anything over 90mins you should fuel with some carbs before hand but the main principle being your body is glycogen depleted after your 60-90min workout so the carbs you eat after the workout are used to fuel recovery/build and are not stored as fat.

However, on thinking about this. I think you would need to balance this very carefuly, yeah, your body is using the carbs after as described but then for your workout the next day, where is glycogen coming from? Your body would have to store something, right, or would fuelling all day on fats and proteins be enough to get you through another 90mins the day after?

I am not sure, I am keen to give it a try. I found some good examples of guys (cyclists!) doing it and they reported getting incredibly lean with no muscle loss or lack of energy. You guys who know more about nutrition can maybe tear it to pieces or maybe even promote it some if you tried it? I am not saying to do it, just starting a discussion.

I had a bad time recently, was off the bike and eating and drinking like a moron. Now that I am back training, I am insanely hungry and bonking on the bike even though I am eating VERY well and how I was when training at my peak. I don't understand it, is this my body crying out because it was used to mega carb amounts for a few weeks + no exercise and now I am eating clean and doing lots of training my brain is telling my body it's struggling? Or am I feeling starving when my body shifts to burning the fat I have put on as its source?

Man of Honour
Post this in the the main Sports Arena forum and you'll get some brutally honest (but also incredibly scientifically valid) advice from several extremely knowledgeable people.

edit: Also, if anything, a break of a few weeks (even an unhealthy one) wouldn't leave you at the point where you're suddenly bonking a lot more. Take apart your diet and post an accurate log as part of your question on the SA forum. Include your activity levels as people may just assume you're lifting and/or not cycling 300 miles per week.

Soldato
Post this in the the main Sports Arena forum and you'll get some brutally honest (but also incredibly scientifically valid) advice from several extremely knowledgeable people.

edit: Also, if anything, a break of a few weeks (even an unhealthy one) wouldn't leave you at the point where you're suddenly bonking a lot more. Take apart your diet and post an accurate log as part of your question on the SA forum. Include your activity levels as people may just assume you're lifting and/or not cycling 300 miles per week.

I really need to break this down to get what I want, which is a bit less weight, but most notably losing body fat, generally pretty clean diet, but enticed too much by cakes at work! :D

Man of Honour
I really need to break this down to get what I want, which is a bit less weight, but most notably losing body fat, generally pretty clean diet, but enticed too much by cakes at work! :D

Tell me about it :p

I've been pretty rubbish all this year and undone a lot of fat loss I managed last year. I've gained more muscle and strength so really it's now about clearing the fat down again and maintaining the good aspects of this year. Ironically the darker evenings and worse weather may help as once I get back on the turbo trainer I'll find it easier to keep things more structured.

Soldato
Tell me about it :p

I've been pretty rubbish all this year and undone a lot of fat loss I managed last year. I've gained more muscle and strength so really it's now about clearing the fat down again and maintaining the good aspects of this year. Ironically the darker evenings and worse weather may help as once I get back on the turbo trainer I'll find it easier to keep things more structured.

I've got such a sweet tooth, doesn't help me that is for sure! Going to work on upper body and core a bit more too to help. Don't think I want to lose much more weight (67.5kg 5'9) just change my build up to be bit more muscle lot less fat :p Due to go to India end of next month, so if I can't shift it I'm sure Delhi belly will help :D

Soldato
I was under the impression that CBL relied on increased insulin sensitivity triggered by resistance training, and I'm not sure if cycling would generate that kind of response? One for the smarter SA guys definitely.

I need to keep a better eye on my diet as weight seems to be creeping up despite training more recently. I seem to be retaining a lot of water for reasons I don't quite understand, and increased upper body bulk?! Literally the only thing I can put that down to is random bits of DIY since moving house but it's a bit weird.

Soldato
OP
I am 5ft 8 and when at "race weight" I am 58/59kg.
Right now whilst fat after falling off the wagon for 2 weeks I am 62kg.

At 58/59kg though I feel I am too bulky up top, I have been lifting too much weights during the summer. I want to trim down for racing next season, I reckon I could stay as strong/fit at 56/57kg if I work on aerobic and drop weights to 3 times a week.

When I was at my peak running I was 9 stone and the Sport Scotland bloke at Hampden during my V02 maximal and lactate test said he wouldn't even use calipers to get my BF% as it was way low. So I dunno, I want to get full composition done in race shape around May/June time next year but I'd reckon at 58kg around 6/7% BF purely guessing.

I want to say I don't care over the winter but it's BS and lying to myself as usual. I'm in the "always fit" category, or trying to be at least because my stupid brain. Drinking is my problem, I cannot help or stop it recently due to everything but I need to stop it.

Soldato
OP
Split with the mrs? Start taking this new drug called "single" it means you can ride 500km a week without getting a headache!

:D:p I have been a single man for a very long time. My cycle buddies hate how much time I have to get all my training done whilst they have to clear it all with PITA women! :o

Man of Honour
I drink too much too tbh. And I've also been single for a while :p (this isn't me hitting on you y0).

The 3-4kg you've put on in your weeks off won't all be fat. There's a good portion of it that will be water retention. You'll find at least a kg of it will slip off extremely quickly as you get back into things.

Soldato

You can eat whatever you like provided its in moderation and in line with your calorie goals.

General rule of thumb is 80/20% wholefood/fun stuff (processed) without any adverse effects in performance or body composition.

Nothing is off limits. I am walking proof :p

Back
Top Bottom