Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
Ah OK, yeah I forgot all about Garmin Connect! I stopped using it a very long time ago, it was just yet another man in the middle sorta place to upload to which seemed pointless. I upload to Strava from my device, then I import to GC and from there I use shortcut keys to sync it to Dropbox and then upload to TrainingPeaks. If I am on the turbo I am using Zwift which links to Strava, so when I finish on there it saves to Zwift and Strava itself, I then download the .fit from Zwift and import to GC > sync to Dropbox and upload to TrainingPeaks.

I have done a guide on how to add the TSS metric for manual entry here mate - http://imgur.com/a/dwotN

Let me know how that works and if it is OK please? You are my guinea pig :D

I will do a Dropbox one also, will post that this afternoon for you :cool:

Garmin Connect uploads are all automated, so saves me hardly ever plugging in my Edge apart from for charging!

Just set this up, is there any way I can check previous workouts for their TSS, so I can use that as I don't do HR in the AM. Commutes are always going to be 90% within a similar range as only 5.5mile and usually done at a certain low intensity.

Just had a check and I do have Dropbox set up and activities syncing to this from Garmin.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Garmin Connect uploads are all automated, so saves me hardly ever plugging in my Edge apart from for charging!

Just set this up, is there any way I can check previous workouts for their TSS, so I can use that as I don't do HR in the AM. Commutes are always going to be 90% within a similar range as only 5.5mile and usually done at a certain low intensity.

Just had a check and I do have Dropbox set up and activities syncing to this from Garmin.

Ah cool, it may be worth considering GC syncing to Dropbox as this will contain all TSS data and such whereas Garmin Connect syncing will just be the non-manipulated .fit's.

Regards your morning rides with no power or HR data. Tough one, I would honestly just look at some warmups or cooldowns you may have done that had HR and power data and then use that as a basis to create a TSS scale fo your own for morning rides to work and base your TSS estimates for these on perceived effort/time of commute..... So if you get your TSS from a ride with power that was a super easy recovery spin for 30mins say and that was 10TSS, use that as a basis to create a scale for your commutes so a hard into the wind 5 mile commute one morning nets you 8TSS and a super easy wind behind you pootle home gets you 4TSS.

It's not accurate, it's not perfect but it gives you something to gauge your week. If it was me, I'd probably just get lazy and put a average TSS number on every commute ride that gave me a same total of TSS each week just from commuting. Sorry I am not much help here but hopefully some food for thought in giving you a standard and set way of managing it.

Soldato
If you commute religiously then just don't include it as results will be the same either way on a weekly basis? Failing that a constant as xdcx suggested is a good approach. It'll be in the region of 5-10 TSS so within the margin of error really, shouldn't impact your metrics much if at all.

Soldato
Ah cool, it may be worth considering GC syncing to Dropbox as this will contain all TSS data and such whereas Garmin Connect syncing will just be the non-manipulated .fit's.

Regards your morning rides with no power or HR data. Tough one, I would honestly just look at some warmups or cooldowns you may have done that had HR and power data and then use that as a basis to create a TSS scale fo your own for morning rides to work and base your TSS estimates for these on perceived effort/time of commute..... So if you get your TSS from a ride with power that was a super easy recovery spin for 30mins say and that was 10TSS, use that as a basis to create a scale for your commutes so a hard into the wind 5 mile commute one morning nets you 8TSS and a super easy wind behind you pootle home gets you 4TSS.

It's not accurate, it's not perfect but it gives you something to gauge your week. If it was me, I'd probably just get lazy and put a average TSS number on every commute ride that gave me a same total of TSS each week just from commuting. Sorry I am not much help here but hopefully some food for thought in giving you a standard and set way of managing it.

I've used power on commutes when I had the pedals on so can use those efforts in the past, just couldn't see in GC where TSS is listed. My commute is flat and one direction with generally wind going the same way every day, so effort wise is easy in the mornings, slightly harder in the evenings, so would no doubt balance out.

Soldato
OP
I've used power on commutes when I had the pedals on so can use those efforts in the past, just couldn't see in GC where TSS is listed. My commute is flat and one direction with generally wind going the same way every day, so effort wise is easy in the mornings, slightly harder in the evenings, so would no doubt balance out.

Ah OK, didn't realise you couldn't see TSS, I have totally overlooked this sorry mate. Do this in GC:

Tools > Options > Metrics tab > Summary Tab
On the left you have "available metrics", on the right you have "selected metrics".
Select the following metrics from the Available on left - TSS, IF, NP - then click on the right arrow in the middle of the window to shift them over to your selected metrics pane.
Hit Save.

Now when you select an activity in GC, up the top on your summary tab you will see the headings as Totals - Averages - Maximums - Metrics - Model...... Underneath the Metrics heading on the summary you should see your CTL, ATL, TSB, RR, TSS, IF, NP for the selected ride = job done! :cool:

FYI, in my selected Metrics pane I have TSS, IF, NP, Estimated VO2 and Left/Right Balance as I have Garmin Vectors so it is handy.

Let me know if that works ok and my instructions are clear enough, but that will allow you to see your TSS and NP etc for any ride on the summary screen when you select it in activities tab :cool:

Edit, screenies -

WPyeaNs.png
05lezGK.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Strava estimates my 60min FTP @ 5.51w/kg......

Get out and do it.... Doooo it! :p

Soon will be a fair way below freezing in the mornings, I've not gone to the winter shoes yet, the lobster gloves, and I still have the cap to go under the helmet.

Nothing worse than going full winter in Autumn!

Soldato
Managed around 270W for 18mins this evening on a richmond park lap so that puts me around 4.1w/kg I think. Would like to get up to around 4.5 for August for my trip to the Alps!

Soldato
OP
First aero testing today xdcx. I think it failed miserably! :D Will have to refine my technique.

My new toy is here so I will be joining you ASAP ;) Pics tonight somewhere on here.

What failed miserably? Aerolab usage?
I've got a wee strava route I have created, it is 3k's out and 3k's back on decent road, quietish area and would have me going very slightly uphill then very slightly downhill on way back so in line with the article you posted about using a "half pipe" almost course elevation wise. Looking forward to spending WAY too much hours on this **** :p

Soldato
My new toy is here so I will be joining you ASAP ;) Pics tonight somewhere on here.

What failed miserably? Aerolab usage?

In essence yes, not sure the way I done it worked very well. Going to go down with a mate when he has some time as he has been using it very effectively.

Soldato
Some new stats from last 6 weeks rides, I've come on a fair amount since last year. Just need to work on longer rides now I think. Strava is estimating an FTP of 255 which I think is pretty optimistic :o

Username - DanF
Age - 38
Height - 6ft
Weight - 74KG
FTP (60min) - 238w FTP W/KG - 3.2
CP (20min) - 259w CP W/KG - 3.5
5min - 318w
1min - 399w
5sec - 825w
1sec - 877w
Gear - P2M with Garmin Edge 810
Info - from last 6 weeks training rides

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven't updated my numbers for a while. FTP should probably be higher as I'm sure I've got a 360-365w 20min in me at the very least when in good condition.

Username - Thomas. PLease.
Age - 28
Height - 5ft 10in
Weight - 81KG
FTP (60min) - 339w FTP W/KG - 4.18
CP (20min) - 357w CP W/KG - 4.40
5min - 432w
1min - 717w (Should also probably be closer to 800w+)
5sec - 1333w
1sec - 1421w
Gear - Power2Max with Garmin Edge 810.
Info - FTP info all taken from race or TT data.

Soldato
Hmmm, I think you are out of luck as there is no way of downloading data from Strava and into GC. Does the 1000 have WiFi or Bluetooth setup to your phone or AP in your house and just auto uploads when you get home? I don't think there is anything you can do, you will need the .fit files imported to GC so you are stuck taking files off the device unfortunately :( On that note, since you are starting with it now, it would be a good idea to get it configured to use Dropbox so you can sync across devices in future and have a backup of your data. I have a sort of "best practice" way I done this that works very well, want me to write that up for you (be handy anyway for others etc). Let me know if you plan using Dropbox with it.

Wheres this dropbox guide :D

Soldato
OP
Wheres this dropbox guide :D

Ah, sorry man. I thought you said you had Connect syncing into Dropbox? That's why I didn't bother! If I thought you needed the guide it would have been written and online when I promised it. Sorry! :(

Soldato
Ah, sorry man. I thought you said you had Connect syncing into Dropbox? That's why I didn't bother! If I thought you needed the guide it would have been written and online when I promised it. Sorry! :(

HAHA, no problem, I do, but it is syncing gpx files rather than the fit files. Would much prefer raw data.

Back
Top Bottom