Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
I'm finally jumping into the Golden Cheetah ring! Will get some power stats updated soon enough. Weight is down to 65kg now, probably on fresh legs I reckon I could do about 252 to 255W for an hour at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm finally jumping into the Golden Cheetah ring! Will get some power stats updated soon enough. Weight is down to 65kg now, probably on fresh legs I reckon I could do about 252 to 255W for an hour at the moment.

Spend the time with it and learn it and you will never look back :cool:
Give me a shout if any questions with GC, I don't want to admit the time I have spent tinkering and learning :p

Soldato
Spend the time with it and learn it and you will never look back :cool:
Give me a shout if any questions with GC, I don't want to admit the time I have spent tinkering and learning :p

Will do. Got a friend that's smashing it using the aero stuff to test position/kit changes and generally winning/top 3 in almost all opens he is entering and says he is seeing the benefits for the same power.

What's the best resource to get the basics laid out for me?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Will do. Got a friend that's smashing it using the aero stuff to test position/kit changes and generally winning/top 3 in almost all opens he is entering and says he is seeing the benefits for the same power.

What's the best resource to get the basics laid out for me?

I've not touched the aerolab but that will be changing very shortly dare I say ;) I can't wait to waste too much life on it at same time as I am dreading it ha!

Here is the guide I made for my PMC which I can't find ways of bettering now really, it's super handy for tracking your usuals but also for linking back to ride level via TSS on the same chart - https://imgur.com/a/njEPN

By basics being laid out do you mean baseline understanding of the likes of ATL, CTL and TSS? CP and FTP etc? Or do you already understand these terms and looking for basics of getting the software to a useable place?

Soldato
I've not touched the aerolab but that will be changing very shortly dare I say ;) I can't wait to waste too much life on it at same time as I am dreading it ha!

Here is the guide I made for my PMC which I can't find ways of bettering now really, it's super handy for tracking your usuals but also for linking back to ride level via TSS on the same chart - https://imgur.com/a/njEPN

By basics being laid out do you mean baseline understanding of the likes of ATL, CTL and TSS? CP and FTP etc? Or do you already understand these terms and looking for basics of getting the software to a useable place?

Bit of both I know some of the acronyms ftp tss atl but not all. But more for getting software understanding. Will take a read of your guide then come back.

Soldato
Thanks xdcx, put together the graph! Now playing with some aero bits with club mates help and this guide for the basics

http://fitwerx.com/ask-fitwerx-article-archive/your-power-meter-is-the-best-wind-tunnel-available/

Good source here for rolling resistance of various tyres/widths.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/vittoria-open-corsa-cx-iii-2014

xdcx, I don't always ride with power when I ride to work or MTB, but majority is there, I take it these rides won't be taken into account for the stress stuff?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Glad the guide worked OK, hope the links within were useful to the TP site to describe ATL, CTL, TSS etc for you :cool:

Excellent links, thanks! Aero guff is going to be my next time sink, so please continue to play with it so I can come and pester you :cool:

I was riding my winter bike with no power meter for a long time until recently, so you are correct this will not give you TSS and chart your PMC. Your best bet is to honestly just enter a manual estimated TSS for these rides as they are stressing your body and you should incorporate these no matter what so you can properly see where your body is at.... Google around for TSS calculators, I would say the best way of going about this with no power data is to base it on heart rate time zones / time on bike and RPE. You'll get to grips quickly with estimated TSS especially on commutes as they are likely very close time and RPE wise each day.

Last edited:
Soldato
snip/QUOTE]

Glad the guide worked OK, hope the links within were useful to the TP site to describe ATL, CTL, TSS etc for you :cool:

Excellent links, thanks! Aero guff is going to be my next time sink, so please continue to play with it so I can come and pester you :cool:

I was riding my winter bike with no power meter for a long time until recently, so you are correct this will not give you TSS and chart your PMC. Your best bet is to honestly just enter a manual estimated TSS for these rides as they are stressing your body and you should incorporate these no matter what so you can properly see where your body is at.... Google around for TSS calculators, I would say the best way of going about this with no power data is to base it on heart rate time zones / time on bike and RPE. You'll get to grips quickly with estimated TSS especially on commutes as they are likely very close time and RPE wise each day.

Thanks, guides were good, just clarifying most of the acronyms really. Gonna probably do some aero this week. Luckily got a local bus lane about a mile long so gonna drive down take my laptop and do runs plum it in and do a few changes in one evening. As I say club mate has been doing it and has got some interesting results. He said don't worry about the CRR as long as it is constant. Thing is when making the changes as long as you have the baseline for that session you will know if it's an improvement or not. Problem is I really need to get myself a new skinsuit and some other bits but need to sell the old bike to fund them! Apparently Trip Sockz are the best bang to buck investment you can make. 9W improvement for medium sized calfs!

I'll take a look at that. TBH the mountain biking is relatively rare and commutes I've done with power meter in the past so can use the times to match up previous power usage and therefore TSS. Only 5.5 miles each way so will be relatively low.

Soldato
xdcx, is there anyway to easily download files automatically to GC, or is it a case of having to sync every couple of days? Bit of a pain when my 1000 is linked directly to strava and never really gets plugged into my PC.

Also when adding data for estimated stress, it's triscore to affect my chart right?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
xdcx, is there anyway to easily download files automatically to GC, or is it a case of having to sync every couple of days? Bit of a pain when my 1000 is linked directly to strava and never really gets plugged into my PC.

Also when adding data for estimated stress, it's triscore to affect my chart right?

Hmmm, I think you are out of luck as there is no way of downloading data from Strava and into GC. Does the 1000 have WiFi or Bluetooth setup to your phone or AP in your house and just auto uploads when you get home? I don't think there is anything you can do, you will need the .fit files imported to GC so you are stuck taking files off the device unfortunately :( On that note, since you are starting with it now, it would be a good idea to get it configured to use Dropbox so you can sync across devices in future and have a backup of your data. I have a sort of "best practice" way I done this that works very well, want me to write that up for you (be handy anyway for others etc). Let me know if you plan using Dropbox with it.

Do you use Training Peaks also?

TriScore I believe (correct me if wrong) is a metric for combination of stresses across multi sport/tri so run/swim/bike? Are you putting anything other than cycling data into GC? If not, I can tell you how to add TSS metric so you can manipulate this on each ride you put into GC, I only use TSS itself as I only put cycling data in and you could just use TSS also for all sports but I guess TriScore is a totally different metric in itself and way of calculating and plotting training stress.

Soldato
OP
In my heart of hearts I know I should buy Tripsockz but my god they look triantelope-tastic.

No way man. Oil up those pale freshly shaven pins of yours and show them with pride. Calf sleeve things most definitely result in nothing but pure insult and judgemental tutting from me :p:D

Soldato
Hmmm, I think you are out of luck as there is no way of downloading data from Strava and into GC. Does the 1000 have WiFi or Bluetooth setup to your phone or AP in your house and just auto uploads when you get home? I don't think there is anything you can do, you will need the .fit files imported to GC so you are stuck taking files off the device unfortunately :( On that note, since you are starting with it now, it would be a good idea to get it configured to use Dropbox so you can sync across devices in future and have a backup of your data. I have a sort of "best practice" way I done this that works very well, want me to write that up for you (be handy anyway for others etc). Let me know if you plan using Dropbox with it.

Do you use Training Peaks also?

TriScore I believe (correct me if wrong) is a metric for combination of stresses across multi sport/tri so run/swim/bike? Are you putting anything other than cycling data into GC? If not, I can tell you how to add TSS metric so you can manipulate this on each ride you put into GC, I only use TSS itself as I only put cycling data in and you could just use TSS also for all sports but I guess TriScore is a totally different metric in itself and way of calculating and plotting training stress.

Doh, yeah Edge1000 automatically uploads to connect which then transfer directly to strava automatically. I have used tapiriik in the past but can't remember if I set up Drop Box, but happy to start as I always thought what if strava or something went away, I'd have no record of where I've been!

No Training Peaks here, makes sense about the Triscore, I'm only using cycling data, I do some running in the winter but won't import that. I wanted to edit TSS in GC, but couldn't find the option, but when I estimated power it put a score in triscore for my commute that matched previous similar commutes where power was measured.

Soldato
OP
Doh, yeah Edge1000 automatically uploads to connect which then transfer directly to strava automatically. I have used tapiriik in the past but can't remember if I set up Drop Box, but happy to start as I always thought what if strava or something went away, I'd have no record of where I've been!

No Training Peaks here, makes sense about the Triscore, I'm only using cycling data, I do some running in the winter but won't import that. I wanted to edit TSS in GC, but couldn't find the option, but when I estimated power it put a score in triscore for my commute that matched previous similar commutes where power was measured.

Ah OK, yeah I forgot all about Garmin Connect! I stopped using it a very long time ago, it was just yet another man in the middle sorta place to upload to which seemed pointless. I upload to Strava from my device, then I import to GC and from there I use shortcut keys to sync it to Dropbox and then upload to TrainingPeaks. If I am on the turbo I am using Zwift which links to Strava, so when I finish on there it saves to Zwift and Strava itself, I then download the .fit from Zwift and import to GC > sync to Dropbox and upload to TrainingPeaks.

I have done a guide on how to add the TSS metric for manual entry here mate - http://imgur.com/a/dwotN

Let me know how that works and if it is OK please? You are my guinea pig :D

I will do a Dropbox one also, will post that this afternoon for you :cool:

Soldato
Ah OK, yeah I forgot all about Garmin Connect! I stopped using it a very long time ago, it was just yet another man in the middle sorta place to upload to which seemed pointless. I upload to Strava from my device, then I import to GC and from there I use shortcut keys to sync it to Dropbox and then upload to TrainingPeaks. If I am on the turbo I am using Zwift which links to Strava, so when I finish on there it saves to Zwift and Strava itself, I then download the .fit from Zwift and import to GC > sync to Dropbox and upload to TrainingPeaks.

I have done a guide on how to add the TSS metric for manual entry here mate - http://imgur.com/a/dwotN

Let me know how that works and if it is OK please? You are my guinea pig :D

I will do a Dropbox one also, will post that this afternoon for you :cool:

xdcx thanks very much. I'll drop you a mail as will keep the chaff off and we can work to update the thread for everyone together, and possibly even put together a GC guide for people.

Soldato
Strava now I've signed up for premium gives me an estimated FTP.

352w! That's 4.4w/kg at the minute, I'm 4kg over what I was in Dec when I dieted right down for a 3 day hilly stage race. I'm more of a classics rider now, and it is coming into winter so a few kg extra insulation doesn't hurt.

Soldato

352w! That's 4.4w/kg at the minute, I'm 4kg over what I was in Dec when I dieted right down for a 3 day hilly stage race. I'm more of a classics rider now, and it is coming into winter so a few kg extra insulation doesn't hurt.

You'll need it when those freezing 10 degree days settle in.

:mad:

Soldato
OP

Strava estimates my 60min FTP @ 5.51w/kg......

Back
Top Bottom