Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
OP
4x15second sprints on my ride this morning. First time launching any sort of sprint since September and they felt terrible... Not in the painful sense, more so in the fact they felt sloppy, terrible form and all over the shop. Felt like I was pushing very low power and not gaining mental speeds..... So of course I gained new 5second and 10second PB's, go figure!
5sec = 878w - 14.39
10sec = 845w - 13.85

Only pushed 905w peak twice, that's 100w down on race fit last year. I know all of the above is junk, but I am not a sprinter and the fact they felt ridiculously bad is good news for training these on the coming months :)

Soldato
OP
New peak power PB by a single watt on Saturday. 1006w now, YEAH!

Oh, and I just got a new 20min best of 342w @ 60.5kg. That's up 30w since my best last year.... 5.65w/kg boys. Getting 6w/kg for 20mins is happening this year, it's not far away.

Soldato
Yowzer.

I did manage 2 reps of a local hill within a couple of watts of my hill climb effort last year on the same climb. Those were 4.7w/kg for 8 minutes though. :o 300w for 20 minutes is a Mallorca goal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Monster watts for your weight xdcx, knocking on the door of 1st Cat/Domestic Elite with power like that.

In other news I've ordered a new P2m Type S as my current classic has gone pretty wrong. Lost about 50w, so what should be 250w is now 200w. Weirdly higher wattages seem ok. When I get the new one I'll send the old back for repair so hopefully will have one for winter bike and one for summer then.

Interested to test FTP with the new one as I've always felt like the classic under read.

Soldato
Monster watts for your weight xdcx, knocking on the door of 1st Cat/Domestic Elite with power like that.

In other news I've ordered a new P2m Type S as my current classic has gone pretty wrong. Lost about 50w, so what should be 250w is now 200w. Weirdly higher wattages seem ok. When I get the new one I'll send the old back for repair so hopefully will have one for winter bike and one for summer then.

Interested to test FTP with the new one as I've always felt like the classic under read.

P2M were pretty rapid when I sent one of mine in for the temperature upgrade, had it back in a little over a week. :)

Soldato
OP

:cool: I just need to build and build this year and get into TT'ing as it is holding big gear and sustaining on flat/speed that sort of power where my weakness lies. If I can mash big gear up a climb at that power there is no reason I cannot be pushing big power on the flat and really making myself competitive. The numbers are there on paper.

So this is new Type S for your S3? Rotor 3D+? I love the look of the P2M and those cranks.

Soldato
Biggest problem is not being blown out the back if you're small and light if the big guys push the pace on the flat & put everyone in the gutter.

You'll have to counter with speed on the hills!

Also having the peak power to jump with the attacks, if the speed isn't so high and aero matters less, they will do a lot more watts. I have a terrible sprint, but if I wait for someone else to go then 75% of the time their kick drops me and I can't get back on but I can do 1200-1400w for a few seconds.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bingo!

Raw w/kg and climbing ability is super and all but for racing, it is no where near the be all, end all. Especially even in the Highlands here, the races we go to are 30-40 miles with less than 600m climbing usually, so being a skinny climber is actually borderline useless.

When the surges come I can hang in, but on the BIG efforts and sprints I am nowhere as I do not have that big raw power that larger riders have. This is what I need to address and work on more than my 10min+ power sustainability it is holding bigger watts for 20/30secs up to 2mins etc. But to address that you need to up your FTP as well as your peak 1sec for it all to come together which I am sure it will.... The big w/kg over longer timeframes is only useful if you are fresh enough to have it in the legs after living with attacks and big gearing on flats at speed. Racing is such a huge picture, being strong in one area is simply nowhere near enough.

Soldato
:cool: I just need to build and build this year and get into TT'ing as it is holding big gear and sustaining on flat/speed that sort of power where my weakness lies. If I can mash big gear up a climb at that power there is no reason I cannot be pushing big power on the flat and really making myself competitive. The numbers are there on paper.

So this is new Type S for your S3? Rotor 3D+? I love the look of the P2M and those cranks.

Yeah, gone for a new 53t Rotor Aero NoQ ring with it too. Should be here tomorrow, so looking forward to having reasonable power data again! Secretly hoping my FTP has increased 50w :p

Soldato
Spent a bit of time working this out... My new 20min best, I simply need to be able to average that for 6 hours-ish and develop the ability to punch out some random 1200w efforts over that 6 hours to win Paris Roubaix.... Seems achievable :p

I'm not convinced by their numbers? All the power:weight values put him at 82kg? He's quite tall, but he didnt look like 82kg.
I'm roughly the same shape as that (3 inches shorter and 2kg lighter) but I certainly dont have the same body composition as him :p

His wikipedia page says 78kg.

Soldato
OP
I'm not convinced by their numbers? All the power:weight values put him at 82kg? He's quite tall, but he didnt look like 82kg.
I'm roughly the same shape as that (3 inches shorter and 2kg lighter) but I certainly dont have the same body composition as him :p

His wikipedia page says 78kg.

Yeah I was also in same boat and done some digging. Someone on Reddit corrected it saying his weight was 77.3kg actually. Which would seem a damn sight more accurate.

I thought you actually looked exactly like him! ;):p

Soldato
OP
All non existent for clarity! :D

Amstel Gold this Sunday, probably won't be the same level of commitment from myself to watch 98% of the race.

AG was one of the best races last year! Racing about Dutch housing estates just doesn't have the same appeal as muddy cobbles through fields at all but it is still a great tactical race.

Galopin versus Gilbert, I want to see a showdown!

Soldato
AG was one of the best races last year! Racing about Dutch housing estates just doesn't have the same appeal as muddy cobbles through fields at all but it is still a great tactical race.

Galopin versus Gilbert, I want to see a showdown!

We shall see, will probably employ the same tactics as last week and record it and fast forward/fall asleep at various intervals.

Soldato
It's tiny by most standards but I managed 260w for 11 minutes last night, +28w on the last time up that climb. Like to think I could continue at that effort for another 9 mins and call it a 20 min test. So much easier on the road than the turbo!

Back
Top Bottom