Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
Does anyone else struggle with the mental side of putting power down on the flats? On a climb, I can happily push hard on the pedals and work it but on the flat I loaf along. I think it's mental as I was quite happy with 18mph (on the flat) but having a PM makes me realise I'm only doing 100w to get to 18mph. I probably just need to find some longer segments on the flat and push it to train myself to do so but does anyone find the same?

Try setting up some workouts on the garmin? You can program to set it to a band of watts to aim for to do intervals with, might help you keep focus. Personally no problem now putting power out on the flat. I remember when I first got a PM it used to show me I soft pedalled a lot of the time.

Caporegime
I see the same just from the estimated power readings on Strava. Two or three hundred watts on climbs and then half that on the flats.

I think I am going to get a power meter next year and see what I can do to improve my riding. Is second hand a viable option or am I best saving for a new one?

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone else struggle with the mental side of putting power down on the flats? On a climb, I can happily push hard on the pedals and work it but on the flat I loaf along. I think it's mental as I was quite happy with 18mph (on the flat) but having a PM makes me realise I'm only doing 100w to get to 18mph. I probably just need to find some longer segments on the flat and push it to train myself to do so but does anyone find the same?

Move somewhere really windy. If you're not busting your ass on the flat round here you're pretty much going backwards or sideways into a hedge.

But yeah, a lot of it's mental. On the flat you know you can always just make it easy by coasting, whereas on a climb you're kind of forced to put a certain level of effort in otherwise you stop moving. If i'm doing a TT effort on a flattish course, i tend to just focus on the pain in my legs initially, as it lets me know when i'm working hard enough. As soon as it starts hurting enough that i want to stop, then i know that's the point to keep it at. Then after that i try to focus more on my breathing.

I think it was Boardman that said something about gauging effort in a TT - if you feel like you can't go on, you've gone out too hard. If you feel like you can finish, you've not gone out hard enough. If you feel like you might make it or you might not, then you're right where you want to be.

I see the same just from the estimated power readings on Strava. Two or three hundred watts on climbs and then half that on the flats.

I'd pay no attention to that. Strava has no idea about wind conditions, road condition etc. 18mph into a block headwind and 18mph with a tailwind are massively different in terms of your power output, and Strava can't reflect any of that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd pay no attention to that. Strava has no idea about wind conditions, road condition etc. 18mph into a block headwind and 18mph with a tailwind are massively different in terms of your power output, and Strava can't reflect any of that.

Oh, I appreciate that it needs to be considered with a mountain of salt, but even so there is still marked variance between the numbers it dreams up when I'm cruising on the flat and when I'm climbing.

Although it is all the more reason to get a proper power meter ;)

Soldato
OP
The other night I was doing a session of 4x4mins in Z5 on the flats/slight undulation. Keeping in Z5 for that 4mins was tough work and I managed of course, but then the next part of session was a 10min climb in Z5. To keep in that Z5 band on a climb was so much more consistent, not saying it was easier to maintain that power but I averaged 16watts more on the climb and for over double the time of the 4min efforts on the flat. I BY FAR can manage a power band a lot better on climbs than I can on the flat even if the end goal of the session is the same, but I am 100% a climber :)

Soldato

I think I am going to get a power meter next year and see what I can do to improve my riding. Is second hand a viable option or am I best saving for a new one?

No reason not to get second hand as long as its not a stages. Power2max selling off their classic stock with FSA Gossamers very cheap at the moment.

Soldato
My Stages PM dropped out a month ago, going through batteries on every ride. I messaged the Stages support and they were very helpful.
They sent me a new battery cover and seal and it's been fine since, even in wet and through heavy rain.

Caporegime
I'm thinking powertap in due course as then I can use the wheel on multiple bikes depending what I'm using at different times of the year. If all goes to plan I'll get a powertap next year and a carbon bike the year after so I'll then have a Sunday best carbon bike, a decent alu backup and my cack winter bike.

I could even bodge a load of spacers and a cog together and use it on my single speed ;)

Soldato
It's easier to swap a single crank arm across bikes. Also the Stages calibration method is probably the easiest of any of the different PM's.

Soldato
It's easier to swap a single crank arm across bikes. Also the Stages calibration method is probably the easiest of any of the different PM's.

Easier than changing a rear wheel??

Removing a crank arm, basically the same as removing a crank. I can't understand why you would opt with stages over crank based, given they are basically the same price now.

Soldato
My Stages PM dropped out a month ago, going through batteries on every ride. I messaged the Stages support and they were very helpful.
They sent me a new battery cover and seal and it's been fine since, even in wet and through heavy rain.

Interesting - mine has played up twice and it's ben fixed by opening and re-closing the cover. Will keep and eye and contact Stages if it keeps happening

It did mis-read slightly today on my commute in, although I'll happily take 615W NP and a max of 13kW :o

Soldato
OP
I absolutely love my Garmin Vectors. I have used them every single ride, they have done over 3k miles in rain, hail and shine with never giving me any concern or hassle at all. I only replaced the batteries for the very first time on Sunday night!!

Soldato
I absolutely love my Garmin Vectors. I have used them every single ride, they have done over 3k miles in rain, hail and shine with never giving me any concern or hassle at all. I only replaced the batteries for the very first time on Sunday night!!

Similar to my P2M, ridden in biblical conditions, even through flood water when I didn't have a choice and covered just under 10k miles. No problems, just battery changes. *touches wood* ;)

Soldato
Had a little play on a WattBike with Maxeh this weekend, was a small competition for a months free gym membership, not that we cared :p

Bear in mind the chino shorts, boat shoes and 2 min spin to warm up prior (plus the 24 miles to the event itself)...

L2zDI3Gl.jpg

5KHxcUXl.jpg

Soldato
Was it a 30 second spin or am I misunderstanding the readout? :)

Yeah, a 30s 'test', basically just mash for 30 seconds :p

The figures on the left side of the screen seem a bit low towards the bottom but I'm not sure how these correlate.

Power output between legs was generally even 52%/48% :) Should have access to WattBikes semi regularly soon so can take TR and actually clip in :cool:

Back
Top Bottom