Power/Weight Thread

Soldato
Good effort! I haven't set many sprint pb's for a while now. I think a couple since my stats on the front page which should be updated to:

Username - Thomas. PLease.
Age - 27
Height - 5ft 10in
Weight - 81KG
W/KG - 4.23
Coggan Rating - Bottom End CAT2
FTP (60min) - 325w
CP (20min) - 343w
5min - 396w
1min - 704w
5sec - 1254w
Gear - Power2Max with Garmin Edge 810.
Info - FTP info all taken from race or TT data.

Soldato
OP
730w.
Also from today's ride. A gentle pace with 1 flat-out sprint up a hill and 1 flat-out sprint at the end.

Nice! You are definitely going strong just now, can tell by how big a gear you push and how steady and comfy you are on the bike :cool: Oh also, I pushed 4 figures finally on Thursday night, 1005w :p I have pushed over 240watts for 60min now (again at APR) and that puts me at a true 4w/kg for 60mins now!

I'll update you and Thomas on first page :cool:

Edit - Also added 1sec to everyone. Feel free to post them up and I will add them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Username - DanF
Age - 37
Height - 6ft
Weight - 78KG
W/KG - 3.14
Coggan Rating - too slow
FTP (60min) - 220w estimate from CP
CP (20min) - 245w
5min - 258w
1min - 355w
5sec - 659w
1sec - 814w
Gear - P2M + 810
Info - CP from roller session

Do we just take the 1, 5 second data etc from Strava?

I'm sure I can break 1000 as I'm quick off lights, before my heart and lungs work out whats going on.

Soldato
Nice effort. I managed a new pb of 355w for just over 15mins this week which I was pretty happy with. Hopefully I can get over 350w for 20mins in the not too distant.

Been doing a fair bit of sweet spot work over the last two weeks which I think is really helping.

Soldato
OP
Username - DanF....

Do we just take the 1, 5 second data etc from Strava?

Have added you to the list Dan :)
Can just be taken from your power curve on Strava if you have premium.

Nice effort. I managed a new pb of 355w for just over 15mins this week which I was pretty happy with. Hopefully I can get over 350w for 20mins in the not too distant.

Been doing a fair bit of sweet spot work over the last two weeks which I think is really helping.

Top work Thomas. Cannot be far off 350w for the 20mins now which looking at your profile will be bringing you right up around 4w/kg for your FTP around 328-330w. Nice ;)

Soldato
OP
Golden Cheetah dudes, 3.2 is out with some nice changes as listed in spoiler below.
IMPORTANT.... Backup your athlete DB directory in full before running 3.2 for the first time, it is going to re-convert your dir to full JSON so better safe than sorry.

MAJOR NEW FEATURES

Multisport Support
Support has now been included for running and swimming; including the CV and D’ as well as new charts, metrics and device support.
Pace Zones - Running and Swimming
Garmin Dynamics - Running and Cycling Dynamics
GOVSS, SwimScore, TriScore et al
CV Model

Moxy Support
The Moxy Muscle Oxygen Monitor is supported including direct download, data series charting and new metrics.
Direct download from device
Import CSV (moxy + peripedal) and FIT format
Merge Tool changes
Shift S+C to Smo2/tHB
Derive HHb and O2Hb from SmO2/tHb
Chartride, 2d, 3d, histogram

Train View Update
The train view has been updated to support real-time viewing of W’bal and new series from Garmin pedal power meters as well as support for the Tacx Vortex turbo.
Tacx Vortex Electronic Trainer Support
Vector Support
Moxy Support
W'bal as you ride
New file format and import process at end of ride
New turbos supported

Interval Discovery and Analysis
The train view has been updated to support real-time viewing of W’bal and new series from Garmin pedal power meters.
Interval Navigator in Performance Plot
Interval Auto-discovery; Peaks, Hills, TTE/Sustained, Routes
Plot Sustained Intervals on CP chart (ride, season, compare)
Sustained Time In Zone metrics
Create intervals on the map
Drop Segments onto Compare Pane to add all matching intervals

OTHER CHANGES

General Updates
Improved Merge
PMC Any Stress Metric
W'bal Zones
PMC Metrics on Summary and in Filters
CP Estimates use rolling 6 weeks not 2 calendar months
Added Ward-Smith PD Model
Lots more Fix Tools (Elevation, Power, Moxy etc)
Automatic importing of files
Hide curves via legend in LTM Plot
Improved performance for W'bal calculation
Export 'heatmap' of rides for Google Maps
Core Temperature Data Series Added
Improved Chart editing in Trend View

Technical Updates
NoSQL - RideCache in memory with backing store
Directory Structure - /cache /config /activities etc
Use Native File Format - json
CLucene deprecated
KQOauth lib replaces libOAuth
File Quarantining
Google Calendar API v2
Measures db deprecated for a Withings cache
Preferences changes update optimized

Download here - http://www.goldencheetah.org/#section-download
Video showing brief overview of what is new - https://vimeo.com/135905103

And here is a link to Mark Liversedge's videos which are great for an all round usage and understanding of different functions within GC - https://vimeo.com/user3992403/videos/sort:date

Soldato
Oh, I appreciate that it needs to be considered with a mountain of salt, but even so there is still marked variance between the numbers it dreams up when I'm cruising on the flat and when I'm climbing.
To generate power you need resistance

Downhill : There is little to no resistance going downhill, so to generate power you need to push in a harder gear. If you're cadence is spinning out or you're soft pedaling then you will generating very low power, maybe 0-50 watts

Soldato
To generate power you need resistance

Downhill : There is little to no resistance going downhill, so to generate power you need to push in a harder gear. If you're cadence is spinning out or you're soft pedaling then you will generating very low power, maybe 0-50 watts

Chances are a lot of the time on the flat you're soft pedalling too, no offence, but especially at the sort of speeds you average, but nonetheless something that I noticed when I very first got a PM.

Soldato
OP
292watts for 22mins on a mountain climb yesterday :)
Been weighing in at 58/59KG's as well this week = 4.94W/KG

I reckon I am right around 300watts @ CP on my next rested and proper test over 20mins which puts me over the magic 5w/kg. GC has modelled my data to a 306w CP as well so it's all coming together :)

Soldato
292watts for 22mins on a mountain climb yesterday :)
Been weighing in at 58/59KG's as well this week = 4.94W/KG

I reckon I am right around 300watts @ CP on my next rested and proper test over 20mins which puts me over the magic 5w/kg. GC has modelled my data to a 306w CP as well so it's all coming together :)

That is good going!

Soldato
OP
xdcx, you're a bit of a pro with Golden Cheetah, why now everytime I open 3.2 it does the whole upgrade to 3.2 thing, again, each time.

I haven't went to 3.2 yet purely because I run GC via Windows at home but Linux at work and sync my athlete DB over Dropbox. There is no 3.2 package yet on Linux so I am just waiting for it rather than mucking around with 2 different versions between my machines.

From what I read, first launch of 3.2 should look at your athlete DB and convert everything to JSON. So typically it created a .bak from your device for the .fit and then generated a CPX and a JSON file for each ride.

When you open 3.2, let it do its thing and keep it open once finished. Then jump to your athlete DB dir on your machine for me and let me know what the state of that is? Does it retiain everything as .bak once it converts or does it actually trim the who data structure down to 1/2 .JSON per ride you have in there?

Purely off top of my head as a thing to try though would be to open GC 3.2, let auto convert occur. Keep GC app open and then copy/paste the now converted JSON dir structure into a new directory somewhere on your machine.... Then once that copy/paste finishes, amend your GC settings to change your athlete DB and workout lib (tools>options and bottom of the general tab those 2 boxes) to the new directory you created with the converted JSON data structure.... Close and re-open GC and see if it now points at the new location and obviously you'll see if it does a re-convert of the data structure yet again.

If you are still getting issues I will upgrade this Windows machine and just go 3.2 as there is some nice changes I want. I can re-build my GC on my Linux box at work from source and stopping being lazy waiting for a package and then I will be much more help to get it sorted out for you if needs be :cool:

Soldato
I haven't went to 3.2 yet purely because I run GC via Windows at home but Linux at work and sync my athlete DB over Dropbox. There is no 3.2 package yet on Linux so I am just waiting for it rather than mucking around with 2 different versions between my machines.

From what I read, first launch of 3.2 should look at your athlete DB and convert everything to JSON. So typically it created a .bak from your device for the .fit and then generated a CPX and a JSON file for each ride.

When you open 3.2, let it do its thing and keep it open once finished. Then jump to your athlete DB dir on your machine for me and let me know what the state of that is? Does it retiain everything as .bak once it converts or does it actually trim the who data structure down to 1/2 .JSON per ride you have in there?

Purely off top of my head as a thing to try though would be to open GC 3.2, let auto convert occur. Keep GC app open and then copy/paste the now converted JSON dir structure into a new directory somewhere on your machine.... Then once that copy/paste finishes, amend your GC settings to change your athlete DB and workout lib (tools>options and bottom of the general tab those 2 boxes) to the new directory you created with the converted JSON data structure.... Close and re-open GC and see if it now points at the new location and obviously you'll see if it does a re-convert of the data structure yet again.

If you are still getting issues I will upgrade this Windows machine and just go 3.2 as there is some nice changes I want. I can re-build my GC on my Linux box at work from source and stopping being lazy waiting for a package and then I will be much more help to get it sorted out for you if needs be :cool:

I'm not at home at the moment but will probably have a crack tomorrow afternoon. Liking it so far though. The W' numbers being the most interesting. Think that'll be the next big thing tbh. Would be awesome to know what's left in the tank at a particular time in a ride.

That and just the ride page with added marked intervals on etc.

Soldato
OP
I'm not at home at the moment but will probably have a crack tomorrow afternoon. Liking it so far though. The W' numbers being the most interesting. Think that'll be the next big thing tbh. Would be awesome to know what's left in the tank at a particular time in a ride.

That and just the ride page with added marked intervals on etc.

I done my Windows machine, it crashed on first run and I got worried but it seems OK and stable now. It is MUCH snappier now that everything is natively JSON which is welcomed. Finding a few little bugs but certainly didn't replicate your issue, my folder structure and data all converted OK and remained so.

Once you get back to your computer, check your athlete DB for me and let me know if it is restructured totally with the new directories (activities, import, cache etc etc etc).

Soldato
OP
In case anyone runs GC on Linux.... Sigh, this has been fun!
The documentation they have on GIT for Linux installs is not updated, there is no published packages for 3.2 yet and it's a pain.

I had to figure out what dependencies 3.2 had and it is alow compared to 3.1. So if you run Linux you will need to manually add some qt5 modules before carrying out the build on your box. qt5-script, qt5-webkit, qt5-multimedia and once you have these run qmake it will moan about translation files being missing in the config.... It's pointing to wrong files, pretty dumb!!! I don't care for German, French and Spanish so I binned the ref. to those translations in the config and it has now compiled.

Not out of the woods yet I don't think but based on the above just stick with 3.1 if you run Linux until they either package it all for us properly or at least publish some updated documentation on the bloody dependancies....

Soldato
Went up cairngorm with xdcx today. 9/1480 on the official 100 climbs segment after quite a bit of effort on the run in to the climb. Pretty happy with the progress.
20 min power is up, weight is down, so a nice increase in W/KG.

Weight - 80KG
CP (20min) -343w
FTP (60min) - 326w (calculated from 20min avg)
W/KG - 4.29

Gear - Powertap
Info - Strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/385289321

Soldato
OP
^^ Mr Modest, I have updated you on page1 ;)

Thomas, did you get your GC profile all sorted with the instructions?

I had a problem with mine, it randomly binned all my custom charts! Lucky I took a backup, replacing all my XML data sorted them all out but I am still clueless as to why it could even do what it done and hoping it really was a freak bug and won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom