Powerhouse SFF project

thats not mine btw :p

hopefully im going to roof mount a 240 rad and going custom water, just for more breathing room really! and chuck in an ssd, with a 480 (or whatever)

dinovos going strong :D ive charged it twice since i got it haha :D so nice having a wireless keyboard though :)

I meant yours. :D Nice, will keep a close eye on this thread if that's what you're planning!

They're superb keyboards, that battery life is unsurpassed and definitely a plus having no wires trailing across the desk. Makes you wonder how you put up with it for so long! Glad it's still doing you proud matey. :)

Soldato
OP
just gotta wait for the money to roll in and ill get cracking!

annoying 'cus tbh its a bit toasty in the little case, and the 280 has squealing coils which makes me rock in the corner of the room while planning ways to murder it. (i have a slight issue with noise :p)

Soldato
OP
aye saw that, however having had to rma the 280 once id rather keep the warrenty (10years) however it is a bfg so pfft! :D

and its not something i can afford to toy with, if it breaks im scuppered and i need a stable pc for uni :x

catch 22 situ :(

edit: just to "lay it out"

I dont like this guys roof mod/sidepanel. I'd keep the originals, cutting an extended square on the roof for a rad, and just cutting a window/mesh design in the side panel.

Ohhhp.jpg

(similar, maybe without the raised vent as i wont put anything down there, soundproof/pad it. always liked that look)
kiOER.jpg

Poposed idea:
side mount slotloading slim drive (next to IO ports)
extra cut in the roof to enable a 240 rad
shelf to put psu under and lay motherboard ontop of.
inturn requires new back panel.
Window cut design

You guys think?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
hi again people!

so, my computers being acting strange recently, random bsod's and more recently just total powerdowns. I fire up speedfan and notice my cpu is at a constant 80/90 degrees... idle.

:/ reseated, cleaned/de dusted. Same figures.

New cooler time it seems, stock isnt cutting it :p

so, h60 or high ender cpu, thermalright 140 do you think? Aiming for silence and decent temps.

other news, depending on summerjob status (if i get one) new graphics will be a defo purchase, cant stand the whine from my 280 anymore.

Associate
Hi Psypher,

Got completely lost rereading most of the thread - knew I recognised it, but took me 20 minutes to notice it was mostly last years :D (dumbass)

Got to say that German guy's ideas are nice, but wow he's ruined a perfectly good case.

As for cooling I just took my V354 apart yesterday to take out the Optical drive (stupid mounting!) and give it a bit of a cable tidy. Both cases have pretty much the same layout and the TRUE120 fits in mine fit with just the exhaust case fans cooling it.
I have seriously been wondering about a H60 in the roof though.

With your current system spec you're going to struggle with silence (which I'm sure you know :)) But shouldn't be too hard to keep it below 15db with the exception of that GTX280

I'll keep an eye open for how you progress. GL

Soldato
OP
haha, thanks for following :p

no summer job yet so funds are tight.

ordered an h60 just so will be looking forward to that :D hopefully ill nab a job and get a new graphics card sorted and some decent fans :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Giving her a format tomorrow as to try and resolve a few issues:

• Temp (80 idles a bit crazy on cpu)
  • keyboard not working, however i think my dinovo edge is just on its last legs :(

I'll sort cables etc out when the h60 arrives. Should be able to route a lot of them however the modular psu cables are huge!

edit:
decided to check what normal temps were as im backing everything up, on a hdd that sounds like a machine gun :D
currently sat at:
  • cpu: 60-64 degrees, general web useage etc.
  • GPU is at 70.

higher than id like but hey, its a tiny cramped space. See what this h60 does to help...

Last edited:
Soldato
Intested to see how you get on with the corsair H60 as I'm also having a similar issue with high idle temps and very high load temps using the stock HSF though with my i5 2500k chip :S

50C idle and 83C in games = Hell no!

Got the H60 ordered but have to wait til tuesday for it -.-

Associate
Just my input on the h60.. = roxxor.. got one cooling an over clocked Q8300 running at 3ghz, temps idle around 36'C and load is 45 - 50 'c.. fantastic if you ask me! this is in a Sugo sg03 using two enermax magmas on a fan controller.

Soldato
OP
mine should be here tomorrow :) well my proc seems to be bsod'ing at 100 degrees :p haha. idles at 50-60 and bad company 2 pushes it to high 90's. Good to know BlackCoat, even moreso that your running a sff too!

Soldato
Just my input on the h60.. = roxxor.. got one cooling an over clocked Q8300 running at 3ghz, temps idle around 36'C and load is 45 - 50 'c.. fantastic if you ask me! this is in a Sugo sg03 using two enermax magmas on a fan controller.

Sounds promising :)

mine should be here tomorrow :) well my proc seems to be bsod'ing at 100 degrees :p haha. idles at 50-60 and bad company 2 pushes it to high 90's. Good to know BlackCoat, even moreso that your running a sff too!

Same, let me know how you get on with it mate!

Soldato
nothing today, its like a slap in the face at christmas! :(

Meh :( I'm intentionally not playing games on my PC due to the temps the CPU is pushing under load :s Will be my first experience with DX delivery as well tomorrow so I hope they are decent! DPD always deliver in the first minute of the hour slot without fail around here lol.

Soldato
OP
update :) no pics as im in a rush sorry. i'll update with some soon

it arrived yesterday but no one in the uni office decided to tell me...

anyway, installed, was a bit awkward as it well... doesn't fit. First logical way doesnt let the psu feed in due to the pipes coming from the rad.
90 degrees is too wide for the case and again i doubt the psu could go in, so 180 it is.

Had to twist the rad around so the pipes that exit it are against the back wall (motherboard tray side) which due to the stiffness of the pipes hits the pump/cpu block JUST. a little fiddle and its at an angle as wedged in good and proper. :)

cable tidied a bit and managed to get rid of a molex string from the psu so less wires!

anyway, temps you say? idle on desktop after a boot at 34 degrees. Just booted up bad company 2 and it just tipples over 45 it seems... my jaw is on the floor. Coming from desktop idle of 60/70 and a bad company temp of BSOD 100+

Well worth it! The fan is bloody loud though :p
edit: my bios was set to full on, turned it to auto and fans ALTO quieter :) woop! I can live with this,

Last edited:
Soldato
update :) no pics as im in a rush sorry. i'll update with some soon

it arrived yesterday but no one in the uni office decided to tell me...

anyway, installed, was a bit awkward as it well... doesn't fit. First logical way doesnt let the psu feed in due to the pipes coming from the rad.
90 degrees is too wide for the case and again i doubt the psu could go in, so 180 it is.

Had to twist the rad around so the pipes that exit it are against the back wall (motherboard tray side) which due to the stiffness of the pipes hits the pump/cpu block JUST. a little fiddle and its at an angle as wedged in good and proper. :)

cable tidied a bit and managed to get rid of a molex string from the psu so less wires!

anyway, temps you say? idle on desktop after a boot at 34 degrees. Just booted up bad company 2 and it just tipples over 45 it seems... my jaw is on the floor. Coming from desktop idle of 60/70 and a bad company temp of BSOD 100+

Well worth it! The fan is bloody loud though :p

Just fitted mine and yeah the fan is proper loud lol. Might look at replacing it with something quieter (no way its 30db). Currently overclocking my PC. At 4.5ghz atm and it gets to 65C in the intel burn test on 1.26v core so quite chuffed. The idle temps are low at around 33C ish

Back
Top Bottom