Powerhouse SFF project

Soldato
How about your noise levels, whats noisy, what isn;t, did you repalce any fans to limit noise?

Big modular psu, do you think modular is the way to go in such a case?

Soldato
OP
the fans arent too bad, the 120 is the loudest (all will go for asthetics though and ill put some silent ones in for measure)

the gfx card has a squeal too it too (known nvidia bleh) and ill try and replace when i can, (480?) and the cpu cooler being stock irritates me. But water could fix that

modular defo, however ill be looking for something with small cables (designed for an sff case maybe) as the cables are just way too long and un organised on the corsair (gfx card ones especially)

having the hdd loose in the cd bay is vibration central aswell.

Soldato
Nice real world answers m8.
I am thinking of using the same case, for a home server type setup, and probably won't use a gfx card at all initially, just the i3 onboard.

Be interested to know what cooler you eventually plump for, if the stock is loud.

I am considering a pico PSU, simply for space and noise, but a nice modular effort should bring similar effects, still quite undecided on that score.

Soldato
OP
only problems i can see is i dont seem to find any atx (powerful power supplies) with small cables! cant stick that fancy 450w silverstone in as i doubt it would boot lol

ill probably go for an h50 for the cooler in all honesty, cheap and does the job (with a fan change as apparently stock is audible) unless i really fancy a custom set up.

:)

Soldato
aye on the DFI board you can use the h50, won't be able to on the gigabit board which i will likely pump for, unless a zotac revision proves beneficial.

Will be waiting till end of July anyway.

Soldato
OP
apparently an h50 will fit the giga with a washer/spacer on the underside to negate the bit that stops it fitting normally. ill be looking into that more though :)

on the dfi ill have to cut some of the backplate away to get the h50 to fit snug anyway :D

depending on how i7's perform i may sway to the giga, usb 3 is tempting.

Associate
Nice little system, I'm really interested in building a little portable gaming system I can take down to my bros place. Been looking at the li-lian PC-Q08B to base it in and then either the dfi p55 or the gigabit h55n-usb3. Has anyone tried fitting the h50 with any success on either of those boards, cause I've read about lack of support and mosfet crushing? Also are there any gfx cards that are known not to fit in that case? I know you can remove the bottom hdd caddy to fit longer cards in.
specc'd a couple of machines up just need money now :(

Associate
Just built my q08 (i got the silver version). I managed to fit a corsair h50 with one fan in by using the small form factor silverstone 450w power supply, i think that if you used slim 12cm fans yu could have 2 fans in the push/pull config.

I will try and post sum pics over the weeknd once ive worked out how to make cables look less messy.

Associate
get some pics up anyway :D

Here are some pics, pretty impossible to tidy the cables as there is knowhere to route them.

picture.php

picture.php

Soldato
OP
sup people.

found a little german website with some guy watercooling a q08.

TGICh.jpg.png
kI0pU.jpg.png

imo i think hes ruined the top/backpanel (backpanels needed due to new layout) but its very inspiring... I'll defo rob his dvd drive mount location!

Last edited:
Looks awesome chap, nice to see another Silverstone 450w being put to good use. PSU makers really need to start sticking some high wattage into SFF, loads of people seem to be downsizing. Definitely a market to be tapped there.

2nd getting an H50 in there as well, fantastic pieces of kit that work brilliantly in SFF cases. DiNovo still going OK too?

Soldato
OP
thats not mine btw :p

hopefully im going to roof mount a 240 rad and going custom water, just for more breathing room really! and chuck in an ssd, with a 480 (or whatever)

dinovos going strong :D ive charged it twice since i got it haha :D so nice having a wireless keyboard though :)

Back
Top Bottom