**** Pre-Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not read the thread so sorry if its been discussed. Does anybody know if they are using the same engine as the others or have they finally moved to somit better which my hopes are. Unreal 4 engine with dx12 capability.

Soldato
I don't think it's gamebro unless there have been some significant improvements.

-Able to see though windows
-World seems much more detailed and colours more vibrant
-The reddit leak suggested a new engine (If you believe the leak was true)

It looks much more like rage did, so I think it's built on ID tech.

Soldato
Looking at the video it seems very unlikely it's UE4. From the movement alone it's either the same engine as New Vegas or Skyrim used, possibly updated.

To be fair though, animations/movement aren't indicative of what game engine is being used, it's more showing that that's the way their animators animate. In simple terms, animations are scripts that you assign to characters. It's all done out of the engine.

I don't think it's gamebro unless there have been some significant improvements.

-Able to see though windows
-World seems much more detailed and colours more vibrant
-The reddit leak suggested a new engine (If you believe the leak was true)

It looks much more like rage did, so I think it's built on ID tech.

I reckon it's not Gamebryo too, if so I'm wondering what the implications to modding are going to be?

Caporegime
To be fair though, animations/movement aren't indicative of what game engine is being used

You sure?

FPS games on cryengine for example all have really similar movement.

I'm not an expert in this at all but from a quick look around movement/animation seems to be a part of the engine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I reckon it's not Gamebryo too, if so I'm wondering what the implications to modding are going to be?

Not being gamebryo doesn't mean it won't be modable, it just means that suitable tools for the engine will need to be released.

I think the likelihood of mods being available is very high. I expect FO4 mods will all be via steam workshop and will be paid for only. (Given that Skyrim was the initial premium mod test vehicle.)

Soldato
You sure?

FPS games on cryengine for example all have really similar movement.

I'm not an expert in this at all but from a quick look around movement/animation seems to be a part of the engine.

I think that's because there are inbuilt animations in the Cryengine. But you don't have to use them, you can use whatever animations you like.

For example, GTA 5 has an animation system where the character animations are generated on the fly randomly, rather than being specifically scripted. Which means there's a huge variation in the ways characters move.

Which isn't Rockstar's own software, but effectively a "plug in" middleware from another company.

Soldato
Not being gamebryo doesn't mean it won't be modable, it just means that suitable tools for the engine will need to be released.

I think the likelihood of mods being available is very high. I expect FO4 mods will all be via steam workshop and will be paid for only. (Given that Skyrim was the initial premium mod test vehicle.)

I didn't think it meant no mods, that's why I'm saying implications. There are a lot of mods for Gamebryo engine Bethesda games where modding tools aren't necessary to create them because of how the engine works with its assets.

Caporegime
Hmmm walking/running/jumping/climbing animations on GTA V are pretty much identical on all characters I've seen.

If we're talking about how characters move when they get hit by a car or blown up then yeah that's different as it's the physics engine that handles that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom