Premier League Fixtures - 16/17th August (Spoilers)

Soldato
Man U are an incredibly wealthy and successful club. To be whinging that a few 1st team players are out is pathetic. Did Ferguson really think that he could go so long without backing up his squad?

You have the money to strengthen the rest of the squad but chose not to do so.

It's not like that at all. You have to make sure you buy the right player to fit into the system and not players just for the sake of it. Yes we need a forward but we have been guilty of knee jerk reactions in the past (Djemba Djemba, Kleberson etc)and I would rather us buy nobody than buy someone who won't do anything for the team at all

Permabanned
message22ls2.gif

Caporegime
It's not like that at all. You have to make sure you buy the right player to fit into the system and not players just for the sake of it. Yes we need a forward but we have been guilty of knee jerk reactions in the past and I would rather us buy nobody than buy someone who won't do anything for the team at all

Again, I agree but to blame a result (which isn't a bad result at all) on a few players being injured, isn't fair. Man U have the players to fill in and at the end of the day, it is these players that could mean success or failure for any club which suffers a number of injuries. Just like Spurs when we lost out on 4th place on the last day of the season when several of our 1st team took ill. We didn't have the strength in the rest of the squad to handle such a situation. This year we have sold a lot of our squad and are left with quite a lightweight squad so if we end up with several injuries this season, we're stuffed.

Soldato
blooming chuffed with the result

have yet to see any highlights due to work

As for potential Man U whinging, have'nt read the forums yet but heard about it on 5 live

We did have certain key players injured + last season, we didn't use that as an excuse, we just admitted we were sub par

Last edited:
Soldato
Man Utd do have a lot of players out but you've got to remember that we were playing a defender who only signed on Friday, a midfielder up front and a striker who has barely played in preseason.

We played out of our skins but I suppose a bit of respect for that is too much to ask.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;12305833 said:
We played out of our skins but I suppose a bit of respect for that is too much to ask.

I do feel that Toon get ripped on these boards more than other teams, e.g last season there were posts of "I hope you go down/ you deserve it"

I wouldn't say that about any team bar sunderland and thats only because I have to

Not many Man U fans turn and say, ok you battled out there, fair play

Don
None of the Mancs were critical of Newcastle's performance either, they're just more concerned with their own team as they know they should have won the game.

Anyway a couple of Mancs did say well done to you guys.

Associate
Newcastle played pretty well, I was impressed by their new signings.
However, United were missing more than a "few" players.
Tevez,Carrick,Hargreves,Anderson,Nani,Ronaldo,Park & Saha are 8 members of our first team squad who would have featured, be it as first choice players or coming in for others.
So we were genuinely very short.
Still, we had enough to beat most teams and so NUFC deserve a lot of credit for getting a draw.
It's just a question of balancing that praise for them while acknowledging our problems.

I am not too concerned. We will improve and regardless of if we sign anyone new or not, we have a decent chance of another good season.
A double winning squad dosn't become poor after one match.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very happy with Villa's result today, doesn't seem to have got a whiff of a mention from anyone. Stoke away next week, hopefully another decent performance will see us bag another 3 points, but it's nice to see us 2nd. Long old road yet though.

Super impressed with that Gutierrez for Newcastle today. He was truly immense.

Soldato
I do feel that Toon get ripped on these boards more than other teams, e.g last season there were posts of "I hope you go down/ you deserve it"

I wouldn't say that about any team bar sunderland and thats only because I have to

Not many Man U fans turn and say, ok you battled out there, fair play

yeh but most utd fans are the most one eyed inbreds you will find, i like keegan and i hope you guys surprise some ppl this year and finish around the likes of spurs/villa/everton.

the trouble you have as you well know is a lack of depth when injuries occur, with a bit of luck who knows ......

Soldato
So what if we were missing "key" players?

Ferguson should have strengthened in the summer. There are plenty of players with the ability and skill to slot into our system, and money certainly isn't a problem either.

Fact is, Ferguson trusted it to the team he put out today and whilst they are a strong team, they didn't have enough to break down a resilient and persistent Newcastle.

Soldato
None of the Mancs were critical of Newcastle's performance either, they're just more concerned with their own team as they know they should have won the game.

Anyway a couple of Mancs did say well done to you guys.

just like to stress this, although I realise you were being friendly:)

As for potential Man U whinging, have'nt read the forums yet but heard about it on 5 live

Heard a few lads at work singing a new song for our new signing "Jonas Guiterraz"

To the tune of "My name is Jonas - Weezer" (off guitar hero)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3Dpp2lwhQ

"His name is Jonas
We love the skill he's shown us
Have you seen him?
He's arg-gen-tin-ien
Signed by Ke-e-gan

LALALALALALAAAAA"

Last edited:
Soldato
So what if we were missing "key" players?
So don't be surprised if we're not at our best with so many players absent.

Yes we need to strengthen, although I think the timing of having so many out at once does make it seem like we need more than we do. A striker is obvious, I think the rest is debatable. I would say we could do with one more wide player, and I would have also said a RB, but I'm not too fussed now with Rafael coming through.

Soldato
So don't be surprised if we're not at our best with so many players absent.

Yes we need to strengthen, although I think the timing of having so many out at once does make it seem like we need more than we do. A striker is obvious, I think the rest is debatable. I would say we could do with one more wide player, and I would have also said a RB, but I'm not too fussed now with Rafael coming through.

I'm not surprised. I remember all the games last year where we lacked a spark, where we lacked a killer ball or someone who could just put the thing in the back of the damn net.

But I am really surprised that with 4 what I would consider "world class" talents in the middle of the park, we seem to have problems covering the positions! :p

In the end, all teams go through these stages. It would be unfair to just complain that we were missing key players. We were, but there was a good opportunity to strengthen.

Caporegime
I'm not surprised. I remember all the games last year where we lacked a spark, where we lacked a killer ball or someone who could just put the thing in the back of the damn net.

But I am really surprised that with 4 what I would consider "world class" talents in the middle of the park, we seem to have problems covering the positions! :p

In the end, all teams go through these stages. It would be unfair to just complain that we were missing key players. We were, but there was a good opportunity to strengthen.

My point exactly.

Soldato
Really pleased with Newcastle's performance today. Didn't expect it but I'm not complaining. Think we deserved the point. Very encouraging to see our new signings do well.

Panzer

Associate
Very happy with Villa's result today, doesn't seem to have got a whiff of a mention from anyone. Stoke away next week, hopefully another decent performance will see us bag another 3 points, but it's nice to see us 2nd. Long old road yet though.
Yup, was a great start. Defence was a little ropey at times. Sometimes in the 2nd half we were trying to work it elegantly out of defence whilst under pressure, when someone really needed to boot it away. Very happy for Agbonlahor. Hard to critisise someone who comes away with a hattrick, but I still think he needs to put in a bit more effort when off the ball. Watched him 'defending' at one point late in the game and he was merely jogging in the direction of the ball but making no effort to close City down.

Back
Top Bottom