Premier League Fixtures - 16/17th August (Spoilers)

Caporegime
I think we really need another wide player. Today we were playing Fletcher and Giggs.Fletcher did ok, good finish, but he's not a winger and never will be. Giggs just doesn't have the pace to play on the wing to a high enough level. When Nani, Ronaldo and to a lesser extent Anderson are playing on the wing there is impact, creativity and penetration. All that was lacking today, it was sideways passing and hopeful balls towards the two strikers.

Soldato
I think we really need another wide player. Today we were playing Fletcher and Giggs.Fletcher did ok, good finish, but he's not a winger and never will be. Giggs just doesn't have the pace to play on the wing to a high enough level. When Nani, Ronaldo and to a lesser extent Anderson are playing on the wing there is impact, creativity and penetration. All that was lacking today, it was sideways passing and hopeful balls towards the two strikers.

Sounds like you need Gutierrez.

;)

Caporegime
Got back from that game about an hour ago, disappointed obviously, the injury crisis has really hit us, it was bad before this game but it's worse now, thankfully we have an important trio in our CB's and GK, so it could be worse - though Vidic did get a knock.

I thought overall our performance today wasn't great, the decision to bring O'Shea on ahead of Rodders for Carrick was a big mistake because O'Shea is never gonna create anything. We could have had the game wrapped up within 25 minutes, but we stopped testing Coloccini who quite frankly, looked rubbish, he kept passing us the ball back and he was slow on the turn, so we should have had runners at him all the time.

We should have had a Penalty, but for the second straight game we've had an obvious penalty turned away. Nevermind, nothing new there.

Onto the players...
Giggs was... Brilliant. Absolute class beyond everyone else today, his movement, touch and passing ran the show, he went off and I don't think anything else happened.
Rooney was abysmal (again), I swear he simply isn't good enough for us. People are trying to pin it on his illness. Before that it was his hip. Before that it was lack of match practice. Before that it was his broken foot. He couldn't pass a football to save his life today, his shooting as per usual wasn't up to par and he threw himself into a stupid tackle.

I was disappointed to see Newcastle having 11 men in their own half all second half and then knocking a long ball for Guitierrez to chase. Do Newcastle have two of him by the way? Not because he was everywhere, he wasn't, but because first half he was utter garbage and second half he was pretty decent.

Poor marking from the corner to conceed, it was coming, third consecutive corner that we'd left him completely unmarked, I was screaming at them from the second one but the third one went in.

Newcastle fans were ecstatic at the end of the match. God knows why, they came up against a massively depleted side who played poorly and still did nothing. Newcastle, playing like that, WILL struggle this season.

On a side note, I stood next to (less than a foot away) Ronaldo today whilst my mate gave him a good old British pat on the back and a 'Go on son' cheer, he really is a big guy, it's surprising.

Soldato
Rooney was abysmal (again), I swear he simply isn't good enough for us. People are trying to pin it on his illness. Before that it was his hip. Before that it was lack of match practice. Before that it was his broken foot. He couldn't pass a football to save his life today, his shooting as per usual wasn't up to par and he threw himself into a stupid tackle..

whilst I disagree with most of what you say (bearing in my I haven't even seen the highlights (oohhh the knowledge and insight I have:p) I do agree with your rooney point, got slated at work the other day for saying it

Caporegime
whilst I disagree with most of what you say (bearing in my I haven't even seen the highlights (oohhh the knowledge and insight I have:p) I do agree with your rooney point, got slated at work the other day for saying it

You disagree with most of what I say? But I was there... :p.
What do you disagree with?

Associate
Rooney played as well as anyone but Giggs, who did some things very well but was pretty hit and miss with some silly errors too.
Rooney wasn't in the game as much as usual, that was perhaps down to fitness or a change in approach (less tracking back etc). But when he had the ball, he used it well, in the first half at least.
Toward the end he had some silly shots but on the whole, he did fine.
"Rodders" wouldn't have made much difference.
He holds the ball well and is a good passer, but with limited options to pick out, we needed our midfield to inject some tempo and energy into our play, which he never looked like doing.

Soldato
You disagree with most of what I say? But I was there... :p.
What do you disagree with?

Being there means nothing, not when your wearing rose tinted spectacles along with rose tinted contact lenses.

Gutierriez played better than Giggs for a start, I don't think any Man U player played well really (maybe Ferdinand, he didn't really make any mistakes).

You don't know why Newcastle fans were happy? Maybe because we drew with the team that scored 11 past us last season, being without Owen and Viduka.

I can't see how you think we will struggle this season? We got thrashed 6-0 last season and finished 12th. :confused: And already look a lot better this season, everyone seems to have said that.

As I say though I didn't expect you to give an objective opinion.

Soldato
Watched the game and was quite bemused by the whole thing.

Man Utd were poor, i know they had a lot of people missing but surely they should still be beating the lesser teams at home even with 2nd or 3rd string players. Were those two kids with the black perms related ?

Newcastle kind of impressed me and kind of didn't. They looked better than last year but just seemed to be missing something, again maybe due to injuries. Can't understand why Zogbia gets played over Enrique cause all the toon fans i know rave about enrique.

Really pleased with Newcastle's performance today. Didn't expect it but I'm not complaining. Think we deserved the point. Very encouraging to see our new signings do well.

Panzer

As much as i agree you've gotta be delighted with a point i bet your slightly dissapointed that you didnt grab the best chance you'll ever have to be Utd at home ?

Sounds like you need Gutierrez.

;)

Gutierrez puzzles me, he look great running with the ball, his short passing game and his work ethic, but he didnt do anything to convince me when he got close to the united box.

Also since 3 uptop worked so well for KK last season, if goes with that again how does Jonas fit in ? I hope he makes it for you though, i think he could be a good asset for you especially away from home

Don
Newcastle fans were ecstatic at the end of the match. God knows why, they came up against a massively depleted side who played poorly and still did nothing. Newcastle, playing like that, WILL struggle this season.

Newcastle played pretty well I thought and my mate who is an avid NUFC supporter was very chuffed with the result.

Loads of teams just fold at OT, but Newcastle really went for it. The main problem was up front, Duff isn't a striker and Martins was all alone most of the time. If Owen or Viduka were on the pitch they could have probably nicked it.

Newcastle have conceded god knows how many goals over the past season and a team that included Scholes, Giggs, Brown, Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Rooney and VDS of course they're going to be happy with a draw??

Also, the Possebum guy looks really crap, surely not Man U "class"?

Back
Top Bottom