Poll: Premier League Sack Race 2023/24

First for the Chop

• Total voters
Soldato
So what do you do if you are Kieran Mckenna?

BBC reporting his is likely to reject a new deal at Ipswich. I've not watched them this season however on looking it up they have conceded 20 goals or 33% more than each of the three that came up last season over 22/23. They've also comfortably outscored all three of them. No doubt they will make for an entertaining watch but without wanting to **** on the chips of Ipswich fans, that style of football against premier league players will make for a very swift exit and they'll be odds on to go down. Kompany strongly linked with Bayern today so relegation looking like its not a career threaten-er however McKenna is flavour of the month at the moment with the press and being linked with Chelsea, Brighton and even Man Utd. Much like Potter, his stock has never been higher with the very real outcome of it never being that high again.

Do you stay with Ipswich, give it a crack, go down with 20 odd points and cement yourself in their folklore? You can even cry on the telly next May and trot out a few cliches ala Rob Edwards just to ingrain yourself further or, given how football can be a brutal and uncertain career take a big money move to Chelsea and secure financial security for yourself and your family while also having the resources to compete for a European spot / top 4 short to medium term? I think I'd be going to Brighton me, seems a very well run club, nice place to live with the only expectation to be knocking on the door of the top 10 / 8.

Soldato

BBC reporting his is likely to reject a new deal at Ipswich. I've not watched them this season however on looking it up they have conceded 20 goals or 33% more than each of the three that came up last season over 22/23. They've also comfortably outscored all three of them. No doubt they will make for an entertaining watch but without wanting to **** on the chips of Ipswich fans, that style of football against premier league players will make for a very swift exit and they'll be odds on to go down. Kompany strongly linked with Bayern today so relegation looking like its not a career threaten-er however McKenna is flavour of the month at the moment with the press and being linked with Chelsea, Brighton and even Man Utd. Much like Potter, his stock has never been higher with the very real outcome of it never being that high again.

Do you stay with Ipswich, give it a crack, go down with 20 odd points and cement yourself in their folklore? You can even cry on the telly next May and trot out a few cliches ala Rob Edwards just to ingrain yourself further or, given how football can be a brutal and uncertain career take a big money move to Chelsea and secure financial security for yourself and your family while also having the resources to compete for a European spot / top 4 short to medium term? I think I'd be going to Brighton me, seems a very well run club, nice place to live with the only expectation to be knocking on the door of the top 10 / 8.
You take the Chelsea job 100 percent. Is it even debatable?

Associate

Sensible move would be Brighton then hop to a bigger one, however nobody bats on eye lid when you’re a sacked coach from Chelsea, it hardly damages your CV

Soldato
It really isnt. A manager of Ipswich doesnt say no to manage Chelsea regardless of the issues there imo.
Yeh I tend to agree with this.

Also the team seems to have been left in good shape with the form of the latter part of the season.

Poch has actually parted ways and really it doesn't look like it's done his reputation much / any damage either (and the added severance pocket money will put food on the table for the foreseeable as well you would imagine!).

I'm not saying it's a no lose situation as there is no such thing, but it's as near as damn it!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I always see Chelsea as a bit of a free hit, you’ll rarely get judged harshly because of the way that club is run. You’ve also got enough talent there to not have a complete disaster, just gotta get on with the owners for as long as possible.

Caporegime
What's the jump from Brighton out of interest? If Potter has turned down Chelsea where could he have gone as a step up from Brighton?
A better run club. Could stay in England or go abroad (Potter already had experience doing that), But going to a club like Chelsea that was run by a complete idiot playing it like FM is a poisoned chalice. Tuchel was lucky enough that he got out quick but Potter's career has taken a huge hit because of it and Mckenna will likely be the same. Suicide to go there as an unproven manager right now because when you fail it will be attributed to you whether it's your fault or not.

Don
A better run club. Could stay in England or go abroad (Potter already had experience doing that), But going to a club like Chelsea that was run by a complete idiot playing it like FM is a poisoned chalice. Tuchel was lucky enough that he got out quick but Potter's career has taken a huge hit because of it and Mckenna will likely be the same. Suicide to go there as an unproven manager right now because when you fail it will be attributed to you whether it's your fault or not.

Fair enough. Like someone said above, Chelsea is a free hit, and your reputation is barely tarnished if you get sacked, along with a nice payoff. McKenna could go there, do as well as Potter/Poch/Lampard, get sacked and still walk into a Brighton/West Ham/Palace type job next. Ipswich will get slaughtered next season, unfortunately.

Caporegime
Fair enough. Like someone said above, Chelsea is a free hit, and your reputation is barely tarnished if you get sacked, along with a nice payoff. McKenna could go there, do as well as Potter/Poch/Lampard, get sacked and still walk into a Brighton/West Ham/Palace type job next. Ipswich will get slaughtered next season, unfortunately.
You say that but both Lampard and Potter are still unemployed and West Ham have literally just sacked a manager, were either of them linked?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Suicide to go there as an unproven manager right now because when you fail it will be attributed to you whether it's your fault or not.

I don't know. I think that Potter is probably just waiting for the right job to come up. I think that there aren't that many teams that you can go to in England that are a step up from Brighton but have some vaguely good setup that would suit him. I don't think his time at Chelsea has harmed him that much.

Still can't fathom the rumours around Kompany to Bayern though. That is madness.

Back
Top Bottom