Premium Bonds - If you post to say how much you've won, please also say how much you have invested.

Associate
Premium bonds can be good but IMO they only really make sense if your a higher rate tax payer. Otherwise there are better, more consistent, rates of return to be had elsewhere.

They are a bit of fun at least though checking the monthly prize draw!

Matter of personal opinion. A basic savings account will offer a slightly higher rate but there is zero chance of it giving you a life changing sum of money. The way I see it is having money in premium bonds the average holder might be getting 1 or 2% less on your money, but you are essentially paying that 1% or 2% for a small possibility of a big win.

Last edited:
Matter of personal opinion. A basic savings account will offer a slightly higher rate but there is zero chance of it giving you a life changing sum of money. The way I see it is having money in premium bonds the average holder might be getting 1 or 2% less on your money, but you are essentially paying that 1% or 2% for a small possibility of a big win.

Premium bonds are like playing the lottery (with worse odds) but getting your ticket money back even if you do not win

Caporegime

I'm using it for my temporary fund.
Unlikely to beat interest. But at least there's a chance. I'll be cashing out in April or may. But while it's in there there's a chance to win.

If I put 12k in a 5pc flexible saver I will get so little... And I'll have to fill in SA as I'll breach the 500. So PB is well worth it for me.

I have 9.5k up for this month's draw and 12.5 for March.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on 5.56% return from April 2023 so far... I think that's better that most flexiable accounts, don't expect it to be the same every year but there's always the dream of winning big and imho; that's worth losing out on some percentage of the intreast from a bank.

There's also the tax benefits that many people have already brought up. Winnings are tax free while anything over £1000 in intreast is taxable and the intreast income from an account can place you in a different tax band.

Associate
I'm on 5.56% return from April 2023 so far... I think that's better that most flexiable accounts, don't expect it to be the same every year but there's always the dream of winning big and imho; that's worth losing out on some percentage of the intreast from a bank.

There's also the tax benefits that many people have already brought up. Winnings are tax free while anything over £1000 in intreast is taxable and the intreast income from an account can place you in a different tax band.
The Personal Savings Allowance is only £500 in interest if you're a 40% tax payer too. I keep my general savings interest below 400 quid, and keep the rest in ISA/PB's.

Soldato
The Personal Savings Allowance is only £500 in interest if you're a 40% tax payer too. I keep my general savings interest below 400 quid, and keep the rest in ISA/PB's.
Yeah... Hence why I'm putting over 25% of my gross at the moment, along with my yearly bonus into my pension as I'm going to clear £500 in interest from my savings account... else I'll be paying a lot of tax on interest and income.

Soldato
100k would clear my mortgage, but I'd still have to work, but that wouldn't be a bad situation.

The million will make a difference for sure!

What shall we do first slinxy.......lol

Associate
Premium bonds are like playing the lottery (with worse odds) but getting your ticket money back even if you do not win

This is why I use them. I started saving last year in order to pay off a chunk of my mortgage at the end of this year. I considered various savings products, but decided to 'gamble' it. I've done okay so far, averaging about a 4% return.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
NS&I is reducing the prize fund rate for Premium Bonds from 4.65% to 4.40% from the March 2024 draw.
The odds of any £1 Bond number winning a prize will remain the same at 21,000 to 1.

That's annoying, just opened an account and bought £250 of my first ever premium bonds, so can be in the March draw.

Still at least have a chance, I also see it as playing the lottery without paying.

Associate
Depending on if I win anything this month depends on my next steps. Win something then I'll stick to my guns and pull my bonds out as I need to clear credit card debts that go from being interest free.

Don't win anything then I'll pull it all out, clear my debts then apply for a loan and get myself a new (to me) car. :D

Back
Top Bottom