Premium Bonds - If you post to say how much you've won, please also say how much you have invested.

Associate
I'm 90 percent sure I'm going to win the big one this time. You guys may as well cash out now.

That would make me feel happier knowing someone real actually wins, than sitting here reading here every month X people winning £25 to £250, while my cash does sweet fa for 6 months still. I'm like a gambling man in denial waiting to get my statistical return before pulling out :cry:

Caporegime
That would make me feel happier knowing someone real actually wins, than sitting here reading here every month X people winning £25 to £250, while my cash does sweet fa for 6 months still. I'm like a gambling man in denial waiting to get my statistical return before pulling out :cry:

I'm using it as a temporary store while I save up for a van. Figured better to gamble what little interest I'd earn for chance to win as its only in there 6 months.

Feel like premium bonds is only for those who save over the isa or other tax free amounts a year.

Soldato
How many bonds you got?

Yeah, on the surface it looks like it's only really worth investing 25k up to the max 50k... or if you are about to breach the tax threshold on other savings, for example putting money into preium bonds if your ISA allowance is maxed out for the year, but then transfering 20k from the premium bonds the next year...

That's with current interest rates on ISAs and other savings taken into consideration, if they were to fall further, to say 3% then premium bonds would look a lot more attractive?

Caporegime
Yeah, on the surface it looks like it's only really worth investing 25k up to the max 50k... or if you are about to breach the tax threshold on other savings, for example putting money into preium bonds if your ISA allowance is maxed out for the year, but then transfering 20k from the premium bonds the next year...

That's with current interest rates on ISAs and other savings taken into consideration, if they were to fall further, to say 3% then premium bonds would look a lot more attractive?

Yeah agreed.
Even then you have to wonder.. Is it better in my pension?
Probably!

Associate
I'm using it as a temporary store while I save up for a van. Figured better to gamble what little interest I'd earn for chance to win as its only in there 6 months.

Feel like premium bonds is only for those who save over the isa or other tax free amounts a year.

Funnily enough this is why my cash is in there, and waiting to buy a car. Though i'm kinda just thinking of not bothering for another year. Buying another car has been on my mind since before covid, then i was doing the house up, then car prices went up, then did a cam belt change so thought i'd get some more worth out of it. Current car is essentially worthless, but reliable.

How many bonds you got?

Just over 8k.

Associate
Mortgage over payments? Depends what deal you are locked into and how long for ... The maths gets quite complicated quite quickly!

For those who haven't used it, there's the money saving expert calculator for various mortgage situations. Even if it's unneeded for many, it's interesting to smash some numbers into.

Last edited:
Associate
The only thing that'd stop me making any overpayments on my mortgage is if I could guarantee an investment outside of my mortgage would make more than the interest I save by overpaying.

In the end I do a mix, a bit of overpaying and a bit of investing.

Caporegime
I'm yet to ever make an overpayment. I'd rather put it into my pension and use the 25pc tax free to pay it off.

Then you get the tax uplift bonus too.

Back
Top Bottom