Private healthcare

Soldato
At that price I'd keep it. I paid for my knee op privately as getting it fixed on the NHS would have taken years. One op was the equivalent of about 25 years of your payments.

Soldato
A friend of mine recently retired due to ill health 52yrs old , he had a good job with a bank and the usual private family healthcare provided . On leaving he got a quote to see what it would still cost £538.12 per month he declined. :eek:

As all have said its a bargain keep it .

Soldato
A friend of mine recently retired due to ill health 52yrs old , he had a good job with a bank and the usual private family healthcare provided . On leaving he got a quote to see what it would still cost £538.12 per month he declined. :eek:

I've got an investment pot for this very purpose - in the event that I can't get insured when retired I'll at least have the cash to cover a couple of major operations privately if I need it.

Caporegime

This for me is the biggest boomer benefit that future generations are going to lack.
The NHS is starting to wither and it's becoming clear private health care is moving from a luxury to a requirement.

Its all very well getting PMI when you're in work.. But come retirement? When that expires and you need it most and you have no nhs?

That's really grim.

All those capital gains on your house (if you have one) could easily be wiped out instantly.

Death of pensions and NHS is going to really bite.

Associate
This for me is the biggest boomer benefit that future generations are going to lack.
The NHS is starting to wither and it's becoming clear private health care is moving from a luxury to a requirement.

Its all very well getting PMI when you're in work.. But come retirement? When that expires and you need it most and you have no nhs?

That's really grim.

All those capital gains on your house (if you have one) could easily be wiped out instantly.

Death of pensions and NHS is going to really bite.
Yes it may come to it but just how far will the insurance go? Will it cover 20yrs of on going treatment for a condition or just a one off ? That is what we need to know about the insurance and as has been pointed out it doesn't cover prexisting problems

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes it may come to it but just how far will the insurance go? Will it cover 20yrs of on going treatment for a condition or just a one off ? That is what we need to know about the insurance and as has been pointed out it doesn't cover prexisting problems
For ongoing nasty stuff you'll be encouraged to go to Dignitas, probably.

Associate
My Private healthcare with work is garbage for health but pretty good for dental.

Ive had some pain in my ribs for a while and thought id give the private Dr a call, had a chat and he referred me for physio, except you have to do the chasing around. So he sent the letter and then its pretty much left to me to speak to AXA who then told me I need to get the cost first before they can approve/reject. I rang AXA back who told me I would need to arrange a physical assessment and go through it all again before they would approve. Absolute ball ache so I went straight to my GP who saw me a couple of days later and had all my tests done within a week and half.

We've had staff Members refused health screenings that they weren't willing to pay out for. We're apparently on the highest tier as well but everything just seems to be a ball ache with constant phoning and chasing around.

Quite a lot of people in our office are considering leaving it due to not getting a service they would expect from 'Private healthcare'

My sisters on the other hand seems to be much better and gets immediate video calls with a Dr and can have antibiotics for the kids delivered within a couple of hours.

Soldato
Seems like a worthwhile expense to me. My dad had private healthcare through work when we were growing up and the whole experience of being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease was much quicker less horrible via private healthcare.

Associate
My Private healthcare with work is garbage for health but pretty good for dental.

Ive had some pain in my ribs for a while and thought id give the private Dr a call, had a chat and he referred me for physio, except you have to do the chasing around. So he sent the letter and then its pretty much left to me to speak to AXA who then told me I need to get the cost first before they can approve/reject. I rang AXA back who told me I would need to arrange a physical assessment and go through it all again before they would approve. Absolute ball ache so I went straight to my GP who saw me a couple of days later and had all my tests done within a week and half.

We've had staff Members refused health screenings that they weren't willing to pay out for. We're apparently on the highest tier as well but everything just seems to be a ball ache with constant phoning and chasing around.

Quite a lot of people in our office are considering leaving it due to not getting a service they would expect from 'Private healthcare'

My sisters on the other hand seems to be much better and gets immediate video calls with a Dr and can have antibiotics for the kids delivered within a couple of hours.
Seems that private insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be in you case.

Associate
Seems like a worthwhile expense to me. My dad had private healthcare through work when we were growing up and the whole experience of being diagnosed with Crohn's Disease was much quicker less horrible via private healthcare.
Had the NHS been investigating the condition before the private healthcare ?

Associate
Seems that private insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be in you case.
It really isnt, the dental is cool, we upload receipts of dental work and we get the cheque in the post a couple of weeks later.

When i requested a Dr's appointment it was a 24hr wait for it to be reviewed.

My GP is fantastic, i dont have the 8am rush, we fill in a form online and it is reviewed by a Dr and i can only assume based on what you put on the form depends on how quickly you're seen. In my case i think they offered 2 days later.

Associate
The GP had recognised the symptoms and then we went straight to private. That GP specifically is excellent; she worked out my mum had lymphoma based on a cough and a rash.
So the only thing the private healthcare did was to expedite it? It was you who used the NHS and chose not to wait, you had know idea how long it would have taken otherwise

Back
Top Bottom