Pro Cycling Discussion 2017

Soldato
Kwiatkowski completely killed himself for the team today, was incredible to see him literally just stop on the hill once he had done his stint, completely burnt out.
He's been incredible doing it again and again - yet still seems to have the strength to be up there the next day & do that great ITT. Incredible rider! My rider of the Tour by far. He interviews so well too! He could be Sky's man for cleaning up the Classics in 2018, along with Stannard & Rowe they have quite a team! Get G in there for wet weather riding! :cool:

Would have been interesting if g hadn't gone out if those roles would have been reversed with landa as key backup and g as super domestique
Losing G really did make things interesting as Sky had '1 less' super domestique. Remember 2015 when he was doing for Froome what Kwait was doing this tour? Imagine how strong Sky would've been with all 4 of them up there... It could've been a Sky 1, 2 & 3...! ;)

Kwiat has done it on multiple occasions this tour. Sitting on the front for insane amount of times and that coupled with him giving Froome his back wheel when he punctured surely has to show that he has been the most valuable domestique of this entire tour. He has had an incredible year, one of the classiest riders in the peloton.

Barguil again. To see the polka dot get the stage on a summit finish on the last day up the Alps was awesome :)
Kwait has been the epitome of a domestique utterly burying himself for his leader. He's such a class act that many times I've seen Nieve (and others) dropped before doing their final turns while he's still burying himself on the front. Incredible! I think much of Froome's success this year can be attributed to him and Landa, Froome hasn't needed to go really deep more than a few times and the only real problem I've seen him have (other than mechanical) was that spectacular blow up on stage 12.

Barguil has been superb, him, Matthews and Sunweb have really become quite a story of the Tour. Incredible results & riding and really good to see young riders working so well and so consistently. Considering I kinda stopped following Giant-Shimano when Alpecin came onboard I'm now a fan again.

Landa is going to Movi @booyaka ;)
And Quintana to Sky. I believe both rumours in equal amounts! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Pffft nothing is a done deal in Cycling! And not sure how much I'd trust ITV commentary much either! :p

I can see Sky winning the Tour with Landa if they are able to convince Froome to do the Giro Vuelta double next year. I partly think that Landa was so strong this year to step in in Froome had problems, he'll say he had to prove himself after the wasted season last year but there had to be an element of being 'Plan B' after G went out injured.

But Froome being Froome I can't see him wanting to really do that except maybe after another win. For him the Tour is everything - remember he was very shielded from much of the European scene and history, only growing up watching the Tour in Kenya & nothing else. Equally I consider him humble enough to consider 'stopping' at 5 wins to equal Merckx, Hinault et al.

I quite like the idea of Sky winning the Tour with a non-British rider. It would be absolutely superb if that rider was also French! That's shut the ignorant frogtarts up! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to admit, the RideLondon roadside interview with Chris Hoy, David Millar and Cavendish had me in stitches. I followed Hoy on Twitter soon after and came across this gem: https://twitter.com/chrishoy/status/890907325271351296

Cav can be controversial at times but the couple of times he's been on TV recently he's come across very well. Maybe he's finally got that chip off his shoulder! Can see him taking on similar commentary roles as Millar in future.

EDIT: Kennaugh leaving Sky, what do we think?

I feel him leaving a 'British' team is a bit of a blow, equally I hope he finds his feet at Bora as he is a fantastic rider and I think has a bright future ahead of him. Would've preferred to see him at DDD or at UAE (with Swifty)!

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to admit, the RideLondon roadside interview with Chris Hoy, David Millar and Cavendish had me in stitches. I followed Hoy on Twitter soon after and came across this gem: https://twitter.com/chrishoy/status/890907325271351296

Cav can be controversial at times but the couple of times he's been on TV recently he's come across very well. Maybe he's finally got that chip off his shoulder! Can see him taking on similar commentary roles as Millar in future.!

I'm actually on TV (albeit blurred) in the background walking behind Cav, Boardman and Rochelle Gilmore :D

Cav seemed to be dancing about all over the place as if he couldn't stand still. I guess eager to get back racing. He was actually commentating for a while during the race too.

Soldato
Few bits of news no one is talking about.

Contador retiring after vuelta. No surprise he isn't good enough anymore and I won't be sad to see him go, altho he occasionally brings entertain his previous crimes mean he is certainly not one I enjoy watching.

Secondly. Luke Rowe has managed to break his leg white water rafting on his brothers stag do. So he'll be out rest of season.. :D

Third. Only week and bit to vuelta!! Can't wait. :D:D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom