Pro Cycling Discussion 2017

Soldato
And what a mad one it was! Race blown to pieces and the cameras completely at a loss on who to cover, even missing the poor guy who came in 2nd even finishing lol

Lutsenko was awesome and it was good to see him be able to finish it off and get a good stage win. It's been coming! Haller as well, incredible riding for a 'sprinter' (lead out man). Guess that's his contract for next year sorted. Probably with a healthy bonus! ;)

The commentators convinced that tricky end would catch some teams out with the road book being wrong, don't they realise that teams and riders probably talk! Quite a tough one, you could see how slow some of them where from the overhead footage. Moscon incredible again for Sky! What a guy! Dropping Nieve who we know should be in good form. Shame Pawels is off the mark still, I hope he finds something for later in the race and doesn't damage his recovery or something silly. Froome looked strong, Nibbles not so much so and a good comeback for Contador.

Soldato
Been quiet in here last few days.

Froome looking good, but hopefully Nibali will at least challeng and provide some entertainment, along with Contador trying to work his way back up. Fight for the Podium is looking very good, with all the riders involved having good and bad days. This weekend should see some good action, especially Sunday being a short sharp brutal stage!

Just seen the below, bit of a kicker for Aqua Blue, hopefully the teams will rally to support them and help them through the rest of the Vuelta

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aqua-blue-sport-bus-target-of-arson-attack/

Also a real shame about Cannondale, can't see them getting the requirements for next year in place in time. Be interesting to see who steps up to world tour in their place if they do fold.

Soldato
Been quiet in here last few days.

Froome looking good, but hopefully Nibali will at least challeng and provide some entertainment, along with Contador trying to work his way back up. Fight for the Podium is looking very good, with all the riders involved having good and bad days. This weekend should see some good action, especially Sunday being a short sharp brutal stage!
Good to see Contador find his legs and others like Aru & Bardet start to. That attack on the descent of Stage 10 by Nibali was superb but didn't really achieve anything other than good viewing as he took Froome with him and then lost a ton of places. Think he even lost time?

Was good to see Matej Mohoric win stage 7 too, I remember seeing an interview with him earlier in the year somewhere. Really hope big things happen for him as he seems to have 'the right stuff'! So modest too!

Froome is looking very strong as he's not really been that tested yet, it's kinda allowed him to test the others and even put time into most of them (Stage 8 & 9 was superb riding!). I know he's the 'man to beat' and everyone is marking out Sky because of that, but they're also expecting Sky to lead and control the peloton because of the Red jersey. Letting themselves be controlled by Sky! I think several teams are belatedly realising that Sky are clever and will only chase certain breakaways/riders and not all of them. Yet at the same time teams are still complaining about Sky dominating with commentators/spectators blaming the 'Sky Train'. The other teams are really the ones to blame by expecting Sky to lead & set the pace! The couple of times other teams have taken control are the only times Sky has been even remotely tested.

It's just been a slight role reversal, rather than Sky controlling and others attacking them, Sky are leading not needing to control that much which has allowed Froome to attack when he wants to gain time rather than losing any.

Good to see BMC riding well and Roche maybe jumping Chaves into 2nd overall. TVG high on GC too
(until stage 11 lol)

Just seen the below, bit of a kicker for Aqua Blue, hopefully the teams will rally to support them and help them through the rest of the Vuelta

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aqua-blue-sport-bus-target-of-arson-attack/

Also a real shame about Cannondale, can't see them getting the requirements for next year in place in time. Be interesting to see who steps up to world tour in their place if they do fold.
Wow I missed that arson attack, seems strange/weird that Aqua Blue where targeted? Hopefully just a random local incident directed at a badly parked bus rather than anything else.

Real shame about Cannondale if they tank as they've been a fantastic squad for nurturing young talent. Sure hope somebody big steps in and they don't fold. With Giant also taking a bit of a step back I think we're seeing some results of the more recent financial changes/impacts on the bike bike brands representation in WT and the huge reliability there is on sponsorship. Another way to look at it could be that an increase in wages/costs running teams due to an increased popularity in cycling, without much of the additional revenue from media making it back into the sport... :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Bertie is the best rider ever ever, so entertaining even if he's highly unlikely to win he will go down fighting.

Crazy spectators being pushed over by the police in front of motorbikes and spectators pushing riders over.

Froome hitting the deck twice!

Soldato
WTF was up with that second one? Lost the front wheel for no reason?!

Looks almost as if he bailed out of it or wanted to blame the Katusha car for not giving him room! :confused:

Bertie is the best rider ever ever, so entertaining even if he's highly unlikely to win he will go down fighting moaning.

Crazy spectators being pushed over by the police in front of motorbikes and spectators pushing riders over.
Corrected for you.

The Spanish police have been pretty brutal already, although it's about time a law authority kept some of the spectators under control they're a bit heavy handed. Not seen the spectators pushing riders over yet though!

Soldato
WTF was up with that second one? Lost the front wheel for no reason?!

Looks almost as if he bailed out of it or wanted to blame the Katusha car for not giving him room! :confused:

Corrected for you.

The Spanish police have been pretty brutal already, although it's about time a law authority kept some of the spectators under control they're a bit heavy handed. Not seen the spectators pushing riders over yet though!

Second was due to the rain previous day making the surface ridiculously slippery.

Police at la vuelta are always the most strict and it's what is needed in the tour, but that push was a bit extreme.

Good la bamba today by trek :):):)

Soldato
Slippery surface for Froome's front wheel twice.

Moron fan is moron. Copper should have pushed him under the wheels of a team car tbh and done the world a favour. Once the race approaches stay put how hard is it? I'll be watching the ToB next Saturday and have no intention of running along side or across it's path.

Also some other nutjob pushing one of the Katusha riders off his bike!

Soldato
Slippery surface for Froome's front wheel twice.

Moron fan is moron. Copper should have pushed him under the wheels of a team car tbh and done the world a favour. Once the race approaches stay put how hard is it? I'll be watching the ToB next Saturday and have no intention of running along side or across it's path.

Also some other nutjob pushing one of the Katusha riders off his bike!

Later confirmed as someone with learning disabilities who got away from their carer.

Soldato
Later confirmed as someone with learning disabilities who got away from their carer.

Yep, read that upon learning that the rider in question decided to take no further action which is honorable. He did give a good warning to spectators though.

Personally I'm not opposed to the moto's carrying cattle prods or electrified whips :D:eek:

Soldato
Sky killing yet another Grand Tour.
They are sucking the life out of my cycling enjoyment. The sooner UCI revamps the sport the better (not that they will), We desperately need smaller teams. Having Sky able to pick a team of potential race winners to support Froome just doesn't make for a good spectacle
. Sure you have to admire CF but even if he wins this I doubt he will be as revered as the tainted Contador or evil Nibali. Fair play to Contador and Nibali for at least trying to attack

Soldato
Interesting sprint / KOM / finish lines in the ToB today.. a KOM line metres after a cattle grid and a finish line just before a corner? :confused:

Soldato
Sky killing yet another Grand Tour.
They are sucking the life out of my cycling enjoyment. The sooner UCI revamps the sport the better (not that they will), We desperately need smaller teams. Having Sky able to pick a team of potential race winners to support Froome just doesn't make for a good spectacle
. Sure you have to admire CF but even if he wins this I doubt he will be as revered as the tainted Contador or evil Nibali. Fair play to Contador and Nibali for at least trying to attack

Like the 8 man grand tour teams they're enforcing from next year?

Soldato
Every time Thomas makes the Sky squad it's like an 8 rider team anyway given he'll crash at some point in 3 weeks.

6 rider teams and salary caps are the only way to make cycling interesting again.

Soldato
Every time Thomas makes the Sky squad it's like an 8 rider team anyway given he'll crash at some point in 3 weeks.

6 rider teams and salary caps are the only way to make cycling interesting again.

Salary caps rarely if ever work as teams just find amusing ways round them! The trouble with all modern sport is money it has improved the standard of the participants massively but not necessarily the spectacle and excitement! Sky are simply following the example of US Postal (allegedly minus the drugs and transfusions!). Smaller teams will make some difference but SKY will still put a better six riders on the road than anyone else the real difference this year anyway for me has been Froome's time trial ability all those than can stick with him in the hills loose several minutes two him against the clock so unless they can break him completely in the hills they won't beat him.

Back
Top Bottom