Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
From watching earlier in the year I kept wondering why is Kristoff in the European Colours, wondering why I'd never seen them before, just reading the elite race has only been running 2 years and previous winner Sagan was obviously WC so this trumped the Euro colours.

Soldato
Is this fixable in just over a month?
TdF Queen stage (#19, Lourdes -> Laruns)

Apparently this is on the Aubisque. Havn't seen any of the main news sites saying anything about it though?

Given that the Japanese/Chinese can rebuild roads destroyed completely by earthquakes within a week, yes it's fixable but I can't see that many would find just cause in doing it that quickly so that 200 men in lycra can ride it :p no quite such a crucial road to the economy as a motorway ;)

Soldato
Given that the Japanese/Chinese can rebuild roads destroyed completely by earthquakes within a week, yes it's fixable but I can't see that many would find just cause in doing it that quickly so that 200 men in lycra can ride it :p no quite such a crucial road to the economy as a motorway ;)

The French take their cycling very seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if they have every road worker in the south of France there and sort it out within a couple of weeks.

Having said that, when I originally saw the image and description, I had thought it was on the climb not the descent. Cutting out an entire HC climb from the stage would have been a big deal. Cutting out the final descent if they can have a summit finish on it wouldn't be such a big problem. So maybe it's not a major priority?

Soldato
OP
Richie Porte doing what he did last year. Crushing it before the tour.

Wonder if he will get worked over on the last day and cry about it this time....
Great win & well deserved, again he's carried some good form from the TDU but can he keep it?! Seems like a long time ago...

Good to see the Yogi machine back in operation! :D

From watching earlier in the year I kept wondering why is Kristoff in the European Colours, wondering why I'd never seen them before, just reading the elite race has only been running 2 years and previous winner Sagan was obviously WC so this trumped the Euro colours.
Had pondered the same myself and just assumed it was the first time there had been a jersey/kit for it. Almost right! Although quite glad we've not seen too much white kit & white shorts in the rain luls ;)

What are we watching until the Tour kicks off gents? I missed to watch anything last week when away, then everything on Eurosport catchup app (Slovenia/Swisse) was missing the earlier stages... Did watch the Swisse TT though.

EDIT: Matej Mohoric won Slovenian champs today. Well deserved!

Last edited:
Soldato
2x Tanfield's surely onto bigger things for next year. Scary talent.
Archibald 4th is mental. He was an "amateur" until this season.

G is on fire though. Sky's TTT at the tour is going to be ridiculous!

Soldato
OP
Maybe should've put a bet on a Tanfield winning the U23's and the Seniors! :)
Would've been kicking myself as that was pretty close to happening! :o

2x Tanfield's surely onto bigger things for next year. Scary talent.
Archibald 4th is mental. He was an "amateur" until this season.

G is on fire though. Sky's TTT at the tour is going to be ridiculous!
Incredible ride by Archibald, same for Dan Bigham and Ash Cox. Great to see them up there with those Pro names around them! Have to say the Ribble skinsuit design looks superb, any idea who does their kit? Great ride by James Gullen too, one day he'll have it I'm sure! Such a consistent TT'er.

Great to see Harry up there still, both of the Tanfields are incredible talents. I recall an interview with Harry where after his TdY ride in 2017 he was expecting to get picked up by a protour squad but never got a call. Such a shame, although he still is only 23 so certainly possible he'll get a spot. Maybe Katusha!? He's been riding a Katusha branded Speedmax for a while as Canyon didn't supply his team with a branded one big enough. Always thought it weird they didn't after some of his appearances and results!

Harrys 430 NP and intensity over 100% shows that G just out gassed him and to win by a margin like that is a pretty special ride. Dowsett was up there too with more a gap to Archibald in 4th.

Soldato
Soldato
@Roady - Ribble use Santini kit.
23 is a fine age, still time and he's doing the right things to be picked up surely! Archibald is 27 now, I'd like to think even that is still not too old to go higher places (if it's what these guys even want to do with their life of course).

420-430w is insane. Interesting he rides same bike as Dowsett but their is a big watts difference. Wonder what the height/weight difference is with them pair, I don't think it would be much!
EDIT - more than I thought. 5KG and 182v190 in it (according wiki profiles).

No shame at all getting beat by G and massive kudos getting so close to him. He has just won the GC at the Dauphine and is a serious contender for the biggest and toughest cycling race in the world in a couple of weeks after all!

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought that last night.

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1012624210215292928 says Sky TdF team is:

Jonathan Castroviejo won the Spanish TT last week and G is obviously in very good form. Kwiato was 3rd in his national TT.

Castro, Bernal and G are national champions now.
Moscon was 6th at worlds and 2nd in Italy last year.
Kwiat was 3rd this year but was national champion last year.
Froome 3rd at worlds and Olympics.

TTT dream team.

Soldato
Is it likely to happen, or is it just a PR move so they can say they tried to exclude him? They excluded someone before and that was overturned by CAS, right?

Was thinking the other day it'll be nice watching some TDF at work... but probably won't bother if Froome isn't there. Unless there's another Brit who'll be genuinely competitive throughout?

PR move. Precedent for this failing before and they wouldn’t do it if Bardet. Thomas is the leading Brit who could win it but will fall off some point

Soldato
More teams have good GC contenders than 2014 when Nibali won after Froome and Contador went out, there wasn’t really much competition.

There are probably 5 hot favourites and 10 guys who could win it.

Back
Top Bottom