Pro Cycling Discussion 2018

Soldato
How is it only now that they’re realising the test is flawed? Surely there should have been a raft of false positives up till now that would have triggered alarm bells. Don’t see why WADA couldn’t disclose that on a no names basis if the test is truly flawed.

Surely if they did that they would be opening themselves up for a whole world of financial pain amongst other things, far from an expert but you'd assume that would be the case.

Soldato
Doesn’t make any difference, any athletes that have been banned previously for an AAF for salbutamol are already known and could presumably consider legal action for loss of earnings etc if the test is flawed. The disclosure of false positives (athletes who returned an AAF but were found to be innocent so not banned or publicly disclosed) would be for our benefit only and therefore would be on a no names basis. I might buy their argument if WADA said the Froome case was just the tip of the iceberg, however I suspect it’s not and it’s a classic case of justice a deux vitesses.

Soldato
Stage 19 (when Froome blew the race apart) lists he had 14 gels in 5 hours of racing :eek: He deserved the stage win just for keeping that much goop inside him!

1,400~ calories really isn't a lot over 5 hours of racing (but this isn't all he consumed). I don't use gels so don't need to worry about any slurry :p

Soldato
I've drastically reduced the number of gels I get through now, not completely dropped them but certainly I'm using less.

Trying my best to fuel using real food, with a gel maybe every two or three hours depending on what I perceive to have left in the tank/how hard the riding is etc. I don't both with gels if it's just light training though.

Also trying desperately to start eating a breakfast. Last 20 years breakfast has usually consisted of just coffee, so I've been trying to pretty much fight a 20 year habit of skipping actual food in the morning (and catching up by eating a good lunch and dinner). It's helping me keep the tank full by starting the day with an actual proper meal for sure - so I know it's doing me good, and helping my riding, but honestly I just wanna be sick having to actually eat in the morning. :(

Soldato
Wasn't the calories, more the potential for gastric distress (a la Tom)

He had enough of a time gap to stop for a poo if he wanted :p

Also trying desperately to start eating a breakfast. Last 20 years breakfast has usually consisted of just coffee, so I've been trying to pretty much fight a 20 year habit of skipping actual food in the morning (and catching up by eating a good lunch and dinner). It's helping me keep the tank full by starting the day with an actual proper meal for sure - so I know it's doing me good, and helping my riding, but honestly I just wanna be sick having to actually eat in the morning. :(

If your meal timing around training is sufficient and your calorie input/expenditure is still balanced I can't see that there will be any merit to eating a breakfast, unless you are depleted and under fed the day before or due a very long day on the bike from first thing?

Followed IF for probably close to a decade now and training in a fed/unfed state for an hour or two makes little difference to my performance. No notable impact on recovery either.

Soldato
Just been listening to the recent Jonathan Vaughters interview on the Chris Froome story and it was absolutely fascinating. Check it out on the Cycling Podcast.

In short, Chris Froome has done absolutely nothing wrong, further stating that its better to free 100 guilty men than to falsely imprison an innocent man. He gave the full two barrels to the person who leaked the story to the media too, as it should have been a completely private matter and the fact that it didn't even come close to becoming an ADRV case further underlines the fact that the media knee jerked into publishing rather angled stories against Chris Froome, no doubt perpetuated by Hinault in the latter stages.

He also goes on to discuss the particulars about salbutamol. If salbutamol was administered generally (via a pill or injection as opposed to inhaled) it can have an anabolic effect (muscle building), then that's why there is a rule in place to limit salbutamol. He then goes on to say that the whole public perception that people are sceptical about athletes who "suffer from asthma" as an invented thing is "a bunch of crap, because the amount of inflammation that's caused by pollen and pollution because they are constantly exercising so much is something that is exponentially larger than in the general population so the need for salbutamol to get guys to just breathe normally is real and there and the rule is just in place to avoid riders from getting an anabolic effect and that's why the limit exists in the first place". Furthermore "if you wanted to use salbutamol to have an anabolic effect, you probably wanted to start using it before the Vuelta started to build up muscle tissue before the race. At the point in time [when Chris Froome was tested with an AAF] you are so far into the face that its not necessarily going to help you in the race".

However as always with Vaughters...there's another side to his story:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vaughters-chris-froome-should-do-the-honourable-thing/

Another interesting point of balance is that ten years ago, there was still a considerable amount of riders being found testing positive for doping and we are talking about the really big hitter banned drugs here. Fast forward ten years and we are getting up in arms against a fringe doping case where salbutamol isn't even on a banned list, furthermore you don't even need a TUE to take it!

Last edited:
Soldato
That final 10k!!! Absolute Carnage, did not expect that many people to get caught out, but perhaps levelled it out a little with so many of the favourites all finishing just under a minute down!

Great Sprint by Gaviria, probably will get a couple of those as Kittel was nowhere compared to him

Soldato
OP
Kittel really not firing yet, nor is Cav. Hope they do as Gaviria and QS look really strong. Sagan doing amazing and Bora actually working well for once doing some leadouts for him. Really really REALLY good to see Gripel back in there as well! :D

Some fantastic sprint showdowns ahead as Matthews is looking like he's coming into form too?!

Soldato
Carnage, great stage to watch from start to finish. I'll say it again but nobody is that unlucky. Porte is just not tacticallt capable of winning a 2 week race .ke He shouldn't be that far back and it he is he should not be in the middle of the road with no escape route.

Bardet was very unlucky. Maybe karma for his racing in dauphine . Surprised it came so close together considering how split up it was at points But think the fortune balances everything out.

Soldato
I'd cut him a little slack, it was less than 7km in to the stage and not every team and its riders can all be in the safest position the entire time!

For example, you could argue that being at the very front on the cobbles isn't necessarily the safest place for those sectors as i think it was the 2016 Roubaix when 2nd or 3rd wheel went down, on what appeared to be a safe section of crown, causing Sagan to endo over one of the fallen riders.

Credit to Bardet for limiting losses today.

Definitely turning out to be an eventful tour and they don't hit the mountains until Tuesday which looks to be a monster stage :cool:

Soldato
I'd cut him a little slack, it was less than 7km in to the stage and not every team and its riders can all be in the safest position the entire time!

For example, you could argue that being at the very front on the cobbles isn't necessarily the safest place for those sectors as i think it was the 2016 Roubaix when 2nd or 3rd wheel went down, on what appeared to be a safe section of crown, causing Sagan to endo over one of the fallen riders.

Credit to Bardet for limiting losses today.

Definitely turning out to be an eventful tour and they don't hit the mountains until Tuesday which looks to be a monster stage :cool:

But for it to happen to him numerous times in major races ... Once is bad luck, twice is rotten luck, this is just poor racecraft unfortunately I really like porte and his physical ability deserves him a gt but unfortunately that is only one of the qualities needed to win a gt.

Back
Top Bottom