Pro Cycling Thread 2023

Soldato
I disagree. I'm speaking of a situation where someone is injured in a location which has nothing to do with the fight.
But I'm not sure how an actual injury (as opposed to footballers, who are not injured 99.9% of the time) is comparable. In Pro cycling they don't stop when someone is injured. It's not a good comparison.
How are you not supposed to take advantage if you don't stop?
Honestly, I'm believing more and more we just see things differently. That or you're just being awkward now. If you don't see a difference between just carrying on as the peloton do compared to upping the pace, or even launching an attack.
lets say their mechanics didn't put in as much work or care as yours,
Oh come on, surely you're trolling now? A snapped chain is the mechanics fault?

you then have to think "to hell with all the work my team did, that guy bad a bit of bad luck". I'd understand if it was a team mate but an opponent?
No, you just carry on with your current plan, which was to just sit in the peloton and roll on.
We'll were all about to witness Kuss win it and I'd argue he's not the best person in his team let alone the whole competition. Though I love upsets in sport and I am aware that for underdogs to win they need luck sometimes.
Maybe 'the best person' should have been 'the best on the day'. Yes, upsets happen, I would still rather see whoever did the best be the winner. You can beat someone that's better than you, but hopefully it would be because on this occasion you played/did better, rather than because of a random bit of luck.
chance being if it rains,
Again, this is not 'luck'. We often will say 'he was lucky' (myself included) but it often isn't real luck. Something might have changed, but it changed for everyone, people react and do different things, some work and some don't. That's not luck, that's choices.
Because in the eyes of the FIA everything was fine. Which is lucky for Max and unlucky for Lewis
Why does the guy no longer hold that role. Again, definitely not luck. Bad interpretation of the rules, or bad rules. No doubt in my mind. But not luck.
If you've ran thousands of 100m's before without ever tripping and you trip the one time that counts
It's unfortunate, but it's not luck. You kicked your own foot... that's not luck, you did it.
Sometimes a team can have 95% possession with 20 shots on target and none go in when the opposing side can have 20 total shots with only 1 being on target and score the match winner.
Again, definitely not luck.

I'm not saying how either of us view sports is right or wrong I just find it interesting how we can have such different view points.
I supposed I see it a little bit like if you look in something like the films thread. Someone will comment 'I can't believe so and so agreed to do this movie. Clearly a money grab'. But then there will be 4 people earlier in the thread saying how much they liked the movie. So, no, probably not a money grab...

I'm giving my view on why they do it. Clearly it's why they do do it... there is a reason. Yes, you can disagree, many other think different.

Last edited:
Soldato
It just doesn't sit right with me. I just can't grasp the idea of accepting that someone can train as hard as they can and put all the hours into achieving something they've dreamed about for years, they've reached the top of their craft and are within distance of achieving their goals. They've nailed the preparation and have put in all the hard work. They've surrounded themselves with a team who also put in lots of hard work and trying to be the best at what they do. You have your mechanics which you trust to have built your bike to the best of their ability. You're out there riding for yourself and both the team on the track as well as the team off it.
In fact (and I realise we're spending way too much time on this :cry: )To me, this is an argument in my favour.

We have two riders that have done this training and effort. I would prefer to see them in a fair fight, than one of them go 'oh, I didn't need to train so hard after all, the guy just got took out by someone, I'll take this opportunity to get 3 minutes on him. Because we're so evenly matched, he'll never catch that backup!' {queue evil laugh and Mr Burns gif, tapping fingers together}

And also, on the boxing comparison, if one slips to the ground, I'm think the ref jumps in to stop the opponent taking advantage of that?

**EDIT** In fact, I'm spending far too much time thinking about this now :cry: I know it's passive aggressive, my apologies, I know I'm being a d*ck, but I'm going to bow out of the thread for a few days/weeks otherwise I won't be able to continue my life :p I appreciate the discussion. Let's move on :)

Last edited:
Soldato
But I'm not sure how an actual injury (as opposed to footballers, who are not injured 99.9% of the time) is comparable. In Pro cycling they don't stop when someone is injured. It's not a good comparison.
My point is if they don't stop when injured what if it's the person in the yellow jersey that's injured. Surely respecting the yellow jersey and not attacking it would be at odds with if the yellow jersey had an incident.

Honestly, I'm believing more and more we just see things differently. That or you're just being awkward now. If you don't see a difference between just carrying on as the peloton do compared to upping the pace, or even launching an attack.
I'm not being awkward for the sake of it. Try to see it from my point as someone new to this sport but as someone who loves all sports.

The yellow/pink/red jersey are the ultimate goal for the GC riders during each GT. In my mind, if that is the jersey all the GC riders want then they'll surely be trying their best to win said jersey which would have course include attacking the leader. Another sport I follow closely, F1. To rationalise rules in my mind, I compare it to something else I understand. Yes they're not 1:1 but, ultimately, both are a race with riders/drivers trying to come first.

I find it utterly bonkers to understand the concept in a sporting competition where you don't make the most of your competitors misfortune. That to me is not bad sportsmanship, it's just how sport goes. There is a huge difference in taking advantage of a situation you've created compared to one you were just in the right place at the right time.

If someone has committed a foul then I agree they should wait as that is only fair. If someone makes a mistake/has bad luck which isn't related to anything I've done, I don't understand why I should ease off or not launch an attack. If no rules are broken then there is nothing wrong with it. An unwritten rule isn't a rule. Am I watching a competition or a gentlemen's club ride?

So if it comes down to "it's not nice to attack the leader if they've had an issue" then yeah I just don't get it. If it's an actual written rule in the regulations, I still wouldn't understand or agree with it but it would be understood for everyone.

Oh come on, surely you're trolling now? A snapped chain is the mechanics fault?
I'm actually a bit annoyed you think I'm trolling and not doing this in good faith.

I am not saying a snapped chain is solely down to a mechanic. What I am saying is that in a team, everyone has a part to play. From the rider down to the person driving the coach. They all have a role to play. You brought up the snapped chain issue my reply to that was, as unlikely as it could be, if you have two teams one may have a mechanic that could be more experienced and see something that could develop into an issue VS a mechanic who isn't as experienced may miss it which could lead to something like a chain snapping.

A team is only as good as it's weak link along with the 'we win and lose together' mentality. A well oiled team has everyone operating on a high level and I, personally and it seems I am in the minority in the cycling world, believe the rider owes it to everyone on his team to go for the win.

Hopefully that explains my stance better and you can see i'm not just trolling for the fun of it.

No, you just carry on with your current plan, which was to just sit in the peloton and roll on.
Yeah, I'm still not seeing the logic in it but it is what it is.

Maybe 'the best person' should have been 'the best on the day'. Yes, upsets happen, I would still rather see whoever did the best be the winner. You can beat someone that's better than you, but hopefully it would be because on this occasion you played/did better, rather than because of a random bit of luck.
But sometimes it literally is just that and there is nothing wrong with being in the right place at the right time.

Again, this is not 'luck'. We often will say 'he was lucky' (myself included) but it often isn't real luck. Something might have changed, but it changed for everyone, people react and do different things, some work and some don't. That's not luck, that's choices.
You're on an F1 circuit. You've just gone past the pit entry and a SC is called. You miss it by fractions of a second but all of your competitors were able to dive in for a change of tyres and loose a lot less time. Is that not unlucky for the lead driver and lucky for the followers?

Why does the guy no longer hold that role. Again, definitely not luck. Bad interpretation of the rules, or bad rules. No doubt in my mind. But not luck.
Because the FIA paid him to leave and keep his mouth shut? It doesn't really change much though. Max was and continues to be lucky today due to Massi messing up something he even acknowledged in a previous season. Anyway, I'd rather not revisit 2021 as I'm still furious.

It's unfortunate, but it's not luck. You kicked your own foot... that's not luck, you did it.

Again, definitely not luck.
That to me is bad luck.

In fact (and I realise we're spending way too much time on this :cry: )To me, this is an argument in my favour.

We have two riders that have done this training and effort. I would prefer to see them in a fair fight, than one of them go 'oh, I didn't need to train so hard after all, the guy just got took out by someone, I'll take this opportunity to get 3 minutes on him. Because we're so evenly matched, he'll never catch that backup!' {queue evil laugh and Mr Burns gif, tapping fingers together}
See. This is exactly what I would do. Though I am ruthlessly competitive (ask my partner about the time I lost a game of bowling to her whilst we were in the early stages of dating, we fell out for a good few days) both when I used to play basketball for my local team down to things like a game of Fifa with my friends and like to see the same streak in professionals where being competitive actually means something.

Show respect before, during and after a game. Play within the rules and don't cheat. That is all I ask of sports people. If someone slips up, that's not the individual or teams fault or business. Focus on their own race and if that means pushing on when you have an advantage, you do that.

No one is going to look back at a result on Wikipedia in 30 years and think "Man, I can't believe X lost Y to Z but at least they shown good sportsmanship to Z by waiting for them.. until Z beat them". They'll just see that Z won Y. The only thing that matters in sport is the W. Everything else is secondary.

And also, on the boxing comparison, if one slips to the ground, I'm fairly sure the ref jumps in to stop the opponent taking advantage of that?
Because it's literally agaisnt the written rules to hit someone when either their knee or glove has touched the canvas. If you did it's very likely you'd get DSQ. It's been within the Marquess of Queensberry rules that boxing has adhered to since the mid 1800s. Though I can't recall a fight from memory right now I bet it's happened where a referee would've jumped in from an illegal blow like a rabbit punch or elbow but they wont just jump in between the fighters to stop a legal advantage unless the fighter was no longer able to protect themselves.

**EDIT** In fact, I'm spending far too much time thinking about this now :cry: I know it's passive aggressive, my apologies, I know I'm being a d*ck, but I'm going to bow out of the thread for a few days/weeks otherwise I won't be able to continue my life :p I appreciate the discussion. Let's move on :)

No don't be like that! You're not being a dick (though I didn't like you saying I was trolling!) it's all love! Nothing to apologise for, at all!

Last edited:
Soldato
At the risk of oversimplifying the last round of exchanges, sometimes you have to accept stuff in sport because it just is, a bit like how the rules are totally arbitrary but without them there is no sport. It might seem weird to a relative outsider but that's the same for newcomers to any sport. *shrugs*

Soldato
At the risk of oversimplifying the last round of exchanges, sometimes you have to accept stuff in sport because it just is, a bit like how the rules are totally arbitrary but without them there is no sport. It might seem weird to a relative outsider but that's the same for newcomers to any sport. *shrugs*

This is the crux of the issue. If it's the rules, it's the rules. I had a hard time understanding that you don't really race on the final day but I accept that for what it is. But just not attacking the yellow jersey on the days leading up to that? Then what's the point of it all haha.

Despite that, I'm still loving what I'm watching. Being able to have 3+ hours of sport on in the background? Perfection.

Edit: Went off to see more 'unwritten rules' and the final paragraph sums up my feelings
"They say this unwritten rule ensures that luck does not pick the Tour’s winner. But luck is sport and sport is luck and aren’t you supposed to make your own, anyway?"

from "The Tour has been yellow fleeced by unwritten rules"

Last edited:
Soldato
I think a big part of not attacking the yellow jersey in those situations is the recognition that you can’t race full gas for 3 weeks and the peloton picks its moments. A ceasefire when the race isn’t on is not just good for the yellow jersey holder. It’s a chance for everyone to recover physically and mentally.

Another factor is politics. It really pays not to **** off other teams because you never know when you might need them. You could rip up the etiquette book but it will come back to bite you.

Soldato
With the potential merger of QS and JV sounding pretty certain, I wonder if that is the reason Ineos hasn't made any moves in signing any riders yet and have let quite a few go and are waiting this out? After all, there were rumours of QS merging with Ineos at one point, so they might have known something was up

Soldato
OP
Possibly makes sense! Ineos had a big roster after all, so they are short a few but still got quite a few on their books.

Big news is Cav is going for that one again!

Soldato
GCN+ shutting down in December which sucks - now to work out which other subscription works out cheapest and does PC / mobile / Firestick...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom