Project - 37a (Wendyhouse)

Soldato
OP
The chair upgrade seems a nice choice, somehow one of those racing seats wouldn't have looked as good in the space as the one you went for. Maybe you could add your own orange 'gaming' stripes to it like your old one had ;p

The old chair was always a begrudged purchase, years ago when I bought it I was gaming in the front room at the old house, the better half said the chosen chair at the time would not have gone well with the interior but black leather did so I ended up with that.

Now I have my own space I pretty much went for the chair I wanted way back. A certain office brand who went under and have resurfaced online only do the one I have. It’s like a micro fibre / suede feeling, extremely nice to sit on.

I assure you the orange duct tape was purely to hold the old one together, and to give extra FPS of course....

Soldato
OP
Fairly big change around with not a lot of photos to show for it (yet).
I don't know why but I got it into my head that being as most of my internet ongoings happen in the cave then it would be most beneficial to have my main router in the cave with me and my gaming PC plugged directly in. I've moved a lot of stuff around and now from where my internet comes in (via copper that needs PoE), it goes into a switch and is then converted to fibre, this is run down into the cave where (what was) my main router terminated the fibre into it's SFP port and ran a PPPoE client. Currently though I'm using the router to convert the fibre back to copper and it's plugged into a Ubiquiti USG3.
I'm in 2 minds of whether I want to push a full MikroTik border router (which I'm so fluent with and can do anythign I need to) or sacrificing some routing functionality and getting a USG Pro4 (which are rumoured to be noisy). My initial hope was to run a 1U server and a virtualised MikroTik but it was just far too loud.

That being said, the only picture I have is of the attic rack now which is fully fibre fed now from the cave, both data switch (CRS125) and the Unifi PoE switch take an uplink from a fibre switch in the cave. I'm wanting to get more pics of the rack in the cave but it's a little messy at the moment due to the test router.

39198607115_a32d34a2f2_c.jpg

Soldato
Just some thoughts for you. If you've got fibre links between the mancave and the house, you should have enough 'site' to 'site' bandwidth that the location of the physical server doesn't matter. If there was some fan noise in the loft for example, would it disturb your sleep?
My home server is under the stairs with a good old 1940's inch and a half thick door keeping the noise in. Ventilation is via a hole core-drilled through the 13" thick 'external' wall into the utility room - 120mm high static pressure fan pushing air down a 100mm plastic ducting to get it past the cavity.
Depending on the layout of your loft, you might be able to situate a server over something like a bathroom where it's not going to disturb sleep. Worth measuring the max temp in the loft during summer first though! As a guide, mine hit 47.7°C at the peak of last summer but the only insulation is between loft and house, not on the underside of the roof itself.
Shall definitely be looking into the Microtik router as a VM though.

Soldato
OP
Just some thoughts for you. If you've got fibre links between the mancave and the house, you should have enough 'site' to 'site' bandwidth that the location of the physical server doesn't matter. If there was some fan noise in the loft for example, would it disturb your sleep?
My home server is under the stairs with a good old 1940's inch and a half thick door keeping the noise in. Ventilation is via a hole core-drilled through the 13" thick 'external' wall into the utility room - 120mm high static pressure fan pushing air down a 100mm plastic ducting to get it past the cavity.
Depending on the layout of your loft, you might be able to situate a server over something like a bathroom where it's not going to disturb sleep. Worth measuring the max temp in the loft during summer first though! As a guide, mine hit 47.7°C at the peak of last summer but the only insulation is between loft and house, not on the underside of the roof itself.
Shall definitely be looking into the Microtik router as a VM though.

I went through this battle in my head telling myself that it doesn't matter what terminates where, it's still the same amount of copper and fibre. I had thought about putting the server in the loft but it's extremely dusty up there which was enough to put me off. It would probably have been fine up there but at least this way I can now justify either a CCR1009 or a USG Pro (if I can get a quiet one).

Soldato
OP
Relatively small change in the cave. I'm concentrating now on doing some tutorial videos and trying to stream a bit more so needed a side monitor. 1080p 22" IPS Dell.

Before:

After:

Soldato
OP
Small changes to the cave:
Removed lifecam webcam and replaced with Logitech C922 and a C920 for face and room/object cam. Will probably re-purpose the Lifecam to an additional room cam for no reason other than it's worthless selling.
Now have a better green screen solution, not quite an Elgato fold out job but significantly cheaper.

Also as a 31 year old relatively content and successful male I have no shame in seeing a cuddly toy and buying it because I wanted it and though it would make a great addition to the cave;
27105475927_d2f4686c2e_c.jpg

Still have the following to do;
Fascia board at the rear of the cave
Silicone seal the cave
Paint over where I've changed the light

Soldato
OP
It's been a long time since I've touched anything in my cave or network so this summer I've decided the cave may finally get finished. Gutters and brackets etc are bought and just waiting to get hold of some fascia boards now.

In the mean time I've had an attic network tidy up and took it from this the image further up (or in spoiler if you want a quick look):
39198607115_a32d34a2f2_c.jpg
To this:
47794902352_cb9255efa0_c.jpg

I'm much happier now, although it's in the attic it was seriously making me wince at the mess it was in.

Back
Top Bottom