Project: An 800D story

Soldato
Excellent build, a very good read too. Only critism, and its something you cant control really, is that I dont like the 800D side window. I love the 800D, but the side window just doesnt look right. It seems too low so you see the PSU, and the angled bit just puts me off. Minor, very minor.

I am now awaiting benchmarks from you...come on, dont keep us waiting!

Associate
Only critism, and its something you cant control really, is that I dont like the 800D side window. I love the 800D, but the side window just doesnt look right. It seems too low so you see the PSU

100% agreed, if only the window would stop at the 'shelf' above the PSU section. Only thing putting me off buying the 800d :(:(:(

Associate
OP

I have not had much time to have a play yet, with either overclocking or benching.

Are there any specific benchmarks that you want to see results from? Suggestions please. Just as an aside I ran the critically acclaimed windows tool and it rated the machine as 7.8 with the SSD coming out top at 7.9, which is nice.

I will bench it with 6GB RAM (current) at stock clock speeds, then OC'd and repeat with 12GB.

As for gaming resolution I am at 1920x1200 on a 24" panel. My intention is to up that to a 3 screen eyefinity setup but due to the costs of the screens that will be a later update. Probably the last update after squaring the guts away first.

Associate
OP

Your build gave me a semi, then seeing your GPUs turned it into full wood.

Living up to your name, The Centurion :p, glad I could help.

Ok so benchmarks are still on the way but I think I am having problems with getting all 4 GPUs working together. I made a school boy error of connecting everything and then installing drivers and hoping it works. Its not throwing errors up and COD2 looks incredible on max settings but 3dmark vantage isn't showing expected scores on the extreme setting.

So the job list for tomorrow is as follows:

1. Uninstall the cards, boot in to safe mode and clean the system of drivers.

2. Remove both cards and drain the cooling system. Alter the top left loop with new parts that have arrived.

3. Unplug everything and leak check the system.

4. Assuming nothing goes wrong, re-route the new 8pin extensions over the top of the MB in order to remove the infamous 'sausage'.

5. Sit and curse myself for not getting a molex extension for the top PCIE slot and try to hide it. :mad:

6. Fit the 1TB hard drive in its new vibration reducing mounts and install it in a CD bay.

7. Stealth the DVD drive.

8. Fit the top GPU, install it and run a banchmark for comparisons.

9. Fit the second GPU, install it without the CF cable attached. Then add the cable and enable CF. Run benchmark.

10. Post pictures for Centurion's 'w**k bank'.

Time to go for a vindaloo in order to have the perfect excuse for not going to ikea tomorrow, thus ensuring enough time to achieve all of this.

Associate
OP

I have a bit of problem that I hope you can help with. I have the Aquaero Aquacomputer fan controller to add to the system. I want this one because it has a similar finish to the outside case and has white on black text on the screen which will look great with the theme.

The problem is that its fan inputs are 3 pin and my fans have 4pin connectors. My knowledge of this area is poor at best so if anyone has any bright ideas then please pipe up. I can't find a converter, maybe there is a good reason for this, I don't know.

Ideas such as...'send me your rig and I'll fix it for you' are...unlikely...to be taken up :D

Soldato
d_54.jpg

you will need something like this.

the only other problem you will have is that your fans come with 2 wires and for a fan controller to read your rpm you will need a fan with 3 wires.

Soldato
Looks amazing, and the braiding and stealth optical drive can only improve it!

Final costs, if I may ask? I'd probs have to sell a lung to make something like that xD

Permabanned
Just so you know.

2x 5970 have never worked correctly.

You should have done your homework on Quadfire before actually buying those two cards.

Have a look around and you will see that 2x 5970 actually performs worse then a 5970 + 5870 tri-Fire setup.

I have been there and in the end i sold the second 5970 as it was causeing more harm then good.

Soldato
Just so you know.

2x 5970 have never worked correctly.

You should have done your homework on Quadfire before actually buying those two cards.

Have a look around and you will see that 2x 5970 actually performs worse then a 5970 + 5870 tri-Fire setup.

I have been there and in the end i sold the second 5970 as it was causeing more harm then good.

your sig is still showing a quad setup GPU though:confused:

Associate
OP

So I know you have been waiting on tender hooks for an update; I ran out of time yesterday to get on with my to do list but I have attacked it with gusto today. :D

I managed to mount the 1TB hard drive in cd bay and get the fans hooked up to the aquacomputer and get that mounted. I had a few issues getting the stealth bay to fit but sorted those out. I partially drained the system and sorted out some cabling and piping.

Whats that I can hear you typing feverishly? Post some pictures? Well who I am to deny you eh?

Customising the stealth cover so that it fits:

IMG_0313.jpg

Perfect:

IMG_0314.jpg

The front:

IMG_0323.jpg

Much neater:

IMG_0319.jpg

Closer look:

IMG_0320.jpg

The pipe looks a bit odd in this photo but there is no untoward pressure on that connection.

So jobs remaining are to braid about 10m of cables and get some case lighting installed. Now to go leak test and rebuild the system.

Associate
OP

Here is the first proper day of tweaking's results:

Capture.jpg

I've never had a computer that could run a benchmark on extreme settings at playable rates. It was very exciting! My result sits me just inside 1000 points from the top 20 on Futuremark's hall of fame for extreme presets. I think that I would have to watercool the GPUs to get much higher. I need to start begging EK to make a block.

Back
Top Bottom