Project: An 800D story

Soldato
Just so you know.

2x 5970 have never worked correctly.

You should have done your homework on Quadfire before actually buying those two cards.

Have a look around and you will see that 2x 5970 actually performs worse then a 5970 + 5870 tri-Fire setup.

I have been there and in the end i sold the second 5970 as it was causeing more harm then good.

Was looking up this mod and saw this comment. Don't listen to this guy. 5970 quadfire works just fine but because he has problems he assumes it's pants and doesn't work for everyone else. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Thnks Flanno. I am having no probs with with quadfire at all. Seems to work just fine for me and, of course, the GPUs match and therefore look better. I am back at work now so I haven't got time to braid the cables just yet but I am gradually buying the remaining parts that I need. I will be braiding in black and red to finish off the build.

Soldato
Your setup really looks impressive. Am thinking about ripping my 800D apart and doing proper watercooling. Haven't touched it in a couple of months.

Associate
OP

Sorry for not posting for a while. I have been back at work and Crimbo requires me to spend my money on others. Outrageous! The new study is nearly complete and it won't be long before the beast finds its new home and I can set up the B&W speakers.

So the question is: Red or black braid for the 24 pin and GPU connectors?

Associate
Sorry for not posting for a while. I have been back at work and Crimbo requires me to spend my money on others. Outrageous! The new study is nearly complete and it won't be long before the beast finds its new home and I can set up the B&W speakers.

So the question is: Red or black braid for the 24 pin and GPU connectors?

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1313/1001159w.jpg

50/50

Sweet build BTW mate

Associate
OP

So...

I've been super busy and have had no time to finish the build. Getting hold of the right cable braid has proved to be a bit harder than I thought as well. Thank god I waited, though, because I have found some new stuff that is black and red and looks to be about the same colour as the coolant that I have mixed together! Result. That should be here this week.

I have been trying to remove 6 pin heads from a spare cable because I have never braided before. Er...I can't do it! I have a little tool to help but I can't seem to find the right place to insert it in order to get the cable out. Any help would be appreciated.

Associate
So...

I've been super busy and have had no time to finish the build. Getting hold of the right cable braid has proved to be a bit harder than I thought as well. Thank god I waited, though, because I have found some new stuff that is black and red and looks to be about the same colour as the coolant that I have mixed together! Result. That should be here this week.

I have been trying to remove 6 pin heads from a spare cable because I have never braided before. Er...I can't do it! I have a little tool to help but I can't seem to find the right place to insert it in order to get the cable out. Any help would be appreciated.
I used 2 staples straightened out and just inserted them down either side of the pin (between the pin and black plastic housing). While I was doing this I pushed the cable up and once the staples were all the way down I pulled down firmly on the cable and it came out.

IMG_2698.jpg

Associate
OP

The saga continues...

Thank you Guitaroman for the advice. I am now starting to get somewhere. After about an hour (at least) I managed to braid 1 cable, yay me! A bit of do, review, apply and I am getting the hang of how to do this. Namely taping over the sharp bits to stop snagging whisle getting the braid on the cable and how to melt the ends properly to stop fraying etc.

4 down...

IMG_0346.jpg

A shed load to go!

IMG_0345.jpg

Associate
OP
Ok so it's time to start updating again as it is upgrade time! I am moving to Sandybridge but the new version will be much more considered and a longer process I think.

For the moment I am still using the trusty 800D and the first stage of putting in the motherboard and processor in is complete. The colours are all a bit random at the moment and I will be adding photos soon.

I am upgrading my screen to 2560 by 1440 and I think my crazy graphics cards will still be coping with that for another year or so.

Ok so what is the plan? What have I learnt? What do I want to do?

1/2 inch ID tubing is pretty cumbersome and I think I will be wanting to use thinner tubing.

Custom graphics cards are awesome but nobody makes water blocks for them. They last but probably not as long as they ought to considering the initial cost. It's been fun but this time will be a much more modest graphics setup. Still xfire/SLI and this time they will be watercooled.

The 800D is fantastic but it's position means that most of my handiwork is hidden. I will be building the final solution into a Mountainmods case, I have more research to do here but they look awesome and there are lots of options on shapes and sizes.

I have already got an Asus Sabretooth Motherboard and so the new colour scheme is somewhat decided as gold and black. I will go for black fittings and have a yellow coolant inside clear tubes.

I will be going for either 2 loops or perhaps 2 radiators in the same loop to be able to deal with the heat.

I will be taking my time to find the parts and get everything right. I expect to have everything ready by the time that some graphics cards have arrived on the market that are worth of an upgrade from my current pair.

Watch this space!
I still may opt for something like the GTX770 in SLI.

W

Back
Top Bottom