Project - Bandit

Biiiiiiig update - the engine's in!

It took a long time, a lot of wrestling and a bfh but I finally managed to drag it into position long enough for my gf to bash a bolt in to hold it. With the one bottom bolt in it could be pivoted into place for the others. I think I've pulled my back doing it though, it certainly weighs a lot despite being a 400 and the only way to lift it was from inside the frame and up. I've also got a thumb wrapped in bandages after I managed to split the nail half way down, that one hurt like hell :(

Also got the rear suspension and the rear wheel in place and secure. Then I remembered I'd forgotten to bolt the chain guide on so it's had to come off again for me to get the chain on :rolleyes:

Tomorrow's plan is to do the wiring and get it started, then I can spend Saturday doing the brakes and tidying everything up.

Time for some pics! You'll have to excuse the front fender, it's on for effect at the moment and still needs polishing up.

Note the work desk and laptop with the full service guide ;)

DSC00063.jpg

White probably wasn't the best choice, despite how good it looks. My hands were fairly clean and this is the result of fitting the engine.

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

Good on you mate, the bandit is a minger to begin with so you can hardly ruin it. Looks like you're making great improvements though, hope you enjoy it when you get it finished.

I've always thought bandits looked half-finished even from the factory, but I don't want to spoil Cyanide's thread because I like what he's done with his and they're basically sound bikes. I just don't like them. I'm sure you have your dislikes too.

Well I've got a little bit more done today, though not enough to warrant any more pictures.

Half the day was spent hunting parts but so far I've managed to procure oil and filter, graphics set, more paint for the front fender and some foam and leather-effect pvc for a new seat covering (I'll make a new project thread for that one ;))

Took me several hours to change the oil as the sump plug was rounded so I had to drop the whole sump cover off and replace it with the one from the old engine. The oil looked like it hadn't been changed in a loooooong time, if ever, so I gave it a good flush through with clean oil before sticking the new filter in and topping it back up.

I've re-assembled the handlebars and adjusted them to suit my riding position, which'll go great with the new seat. I've also re-wrapped the wiring loom in fresh tape and made it a lot simpler - black for the ignition circuit and white for lighting. I would have got the wiring done but I left the laptop at home so I had no wiring diagram :(

The other plus - It's not re-insured. Cost me a whopping £188 TPF&T which is £270 less than my renewal quote was :D

I hate auto-electrics!

Everything's finally wired up, but I've still got bits to fix in place. The wiring loom has been fully re-wrapped in shiny new pvc tape and has been nicely tie-wrapped to the frame with white tie-wraps.

I still need to finish connecting the radiator but I thought I'd give it a quick test to see if it would fire so I whipped the battery in and gave it a go. It turned over but then the battery ran out of juice :(

I've had to come home for a while as I've got far too many bolts and haven't a clue what fixes what in place so I've dug out the part list while the battery charges. Should have it running later this evening so I'll report back asap! :D

Well it still won't start, I think the battery might be dead as it's been sat with no charge for several months. I'm leaving it on charge overnight and I'll try it again tomorrow morning. Hopefully a new battery won't be much if it's needed.

I've got all the ignition electrics, the centre console and the headlights wired up, just got rear lights and indicators to do. The cooling system's all done and filled up too. I've still got some components to secure but at least they're connected at the moment so I can test everything. The carbs and airbox have been fitted for testing but I'll need to take the carbs out to re-fit the throttle and choke cables tomorrow.

Here's some pictures of the finished engine section -

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

The battery will likely cost around £30-35 from my experience (for a bog standard lead-acid battery).

Looking good, lets hope you don't have too many screws/bolts/bits left over once you're 'finished' :p

The battery will likely cost around £30-35 from my experience (for a bog standard lead-acid battery).

Looking good, lets hope you don't have too many screws/bolts/bits left over once you're 'finished' :p

That's a slight problem... I've still got all the bolts from the old engine so I don't know what's needed and what isn't :(

Well the battery is definitely dead, I've ordered a new one from Motor Factors but they won't have it in until Tuesday so I'm going to have to wait to fire her up. Only cost £26 though so I can't complain too much.

I must admit though I am completely gutted about not having it started this weekend, pretty much everything else is done. Today I've finished the following -

Handle bars, including switches and mirrors, fixed in place and wired up,
Carbs fitted and cables attached (I HATE fitting the throttle cable to carbs!),
Rear-sets fixed in place,
Exhaust and headers fitted,
Front and back brakes fitted and connected,
All electrical components fitted and secured,
Found the last couple of engine mounting bolts and secured the engine.

The rear caliper leaks at the seam between the 2 halves and I'm not quite sure how to sort it. Both surfaces were free of any grit and dirt, would some sort of sealant do the trick?

All that needs doing now is to connect up the rear lights and indicators and finish off the body work. The side panels that cover the air box need re-spraying as they don't look right in black and silver, I think the silver needs to be changed for white. I've also got some decals to apply when Image Works finish them some time next week. And finally the seats are currently in my living room, with the new foam applied, waiting for me to staple the new coverings on.

Here's some pictures as it currently stands, I'd say a good 80% finished now.

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

Mmmmm... Carbon fiber... ;)

DSC00087.jpg

The battery arrived early so I went to pick it up this afternoon and it's on charge at the moment, should be ready about now but I forgot one slightly important thing. The key *doh!*

I'll be going back to try and start it in an hour or 2, just trying to get the seats finished first so I can take it a quick spin if it fires up (private roads behind mum's house :p)

Ooh i've missed quite a bit of goings on! Those cables are what would annoy me, i'm sure I had too many left-over bits when I fitted the stereo in my first car! I'm liking the white now, very nice.

P.S I did my CBT and theory test, just the DAS left yay!

Back
Top Bottom