Project - Bandit

Well it wouldn't start. Turned over fine but wasn't even coming close to starting. I'm 90% sure it's just a silly wiring problem as the starter button isn't working and I've had to bridge the solenoid. Didn't have chance to check it over tonight as I didn't have the laptop with me but I'll double check everything tomorrow.

Hope it isn't too hard to find, there's only SO much cabling! Oh also thanks for those images of what's got to go back in, quite a bit, eh!

I'm still undecided whether to throw a couple of grand at a middle aged Bandit, or throw a three odd grand at an ER-6F. Bike school said don't go crazy on first bike etc... hmm.

So when it starts, what's next?

Hope it isn't too hard to find, there's only SO much cabling! Oh also thanks for those images of what's got to go back in, quite a bit, eh!

I'm still undecided whether to throw a couple of grand at a middle aged Bandit, or throw a three odd grand at an ER-6F. Bike school said don't go crazy on first bike etc... hmm.

So when it starts, what's next?

*cough* NC30!!! *cough* :p

£1000-1500 will get you a decent example, lovely bike to ride, although maybe a bit small for anybody tall (I'm 5'8 and it's nicely comfortable but feels small), but awesome usuable engine, pulls in 6th from 15mph with no problems (eg from idle in 6th), and the handling is awesome :p

Back on topic, hope you figure out the problem quickly, guessing you'll be doing/have done the old fuel/spark checks... :)

Righty then, there's no spark. It's definitely got fuel as I've got the hose hooked up to an old bottle so I can work on the carbs without wrestling with the fuel tank. I've checked the coil packs and they're fine and it turns over so the starter motor is fine. I've changed the plugs that were in the new engine for the ones from my old engine which are almost new. I'm 99% sure it's a problem with the starter circuit as the starter button still doesn't work, despite me swapping all the wires round in every combination I could think of. Any suggestions?

And it was the O-ring on the caliper. I hadn't forgotten it, it'd just split when I over tightened it :p

You've probably checked it, but can't think of much else (other than leads?, although that wouldn't affect the starter, just the spark), but the kill switch isn't off is it?

That would explain the starter and I believe the spark as well...

Also possibly fuses, although on my FZR the fuse that handles the starter/spark is the 'main' fuse that also handles the ignition lights so probably not, but can't really think of much else if the coils are ok but it's getting no spark, and the starter button doesn't work...

You've probably checked it, but can't think of much else (other than leads?, although that wouldn't affect the starter, just the spark), but the kill switch isn't off is it?

That would explain the starter and I believe the spark as well...

I've made that mistake before, never again! ;)

Defective side-stand relay! Got a spark, fires up but it's misfiring and detonating like nothing else I've ever known. Literally spitting fire out of the headers. Me thinks I may have got the leads in the wrong order and haven't got the headers quite tight enough :p

I'll report back tomorrow with a working engine and completed bodywork :D

well done pinning down problem, surprising how often the sidestand cutout fails on bikes.. but you get so much crud thrown up on switch it just gives up ghost

looking forward to seeing her up and together :)

Defective side-stand relay! Got a spark, fires up but it's misfiring and detonating like nothing else I've ever known. Literally spitting fire out of the headers. Me thinks I may have got the leads in the wrong order and haven't got the headers quite tight enough :p

I'll report back tomorrow with a working engine and completed bodywork :D

hah! Well, glad you got it started at last. Is the relay you're on about the one that prevents the engine starting when the side stand is down?

Anyway good luck putting the leads in the right order!

Captain Stupid

What's that? Did I check that I'd put the wires on the right coils when I took them out to re-do the leads? Of course I did.

*ahem*

Well at least she's running now :rolleyes:

That was a late night! Only just got back, I got a tad carried away with cleaning and waxing the panels!

Here's what's completed so far -

All the bodywork
Engine
Electrics
Seats
Front lights
Wheels
Brakes

Still to do -

Sort out a sheered manifold bolt
Assemble everything
Sort out the indicators
Tune up the engine as it's running very rough at the moment

Almost done! :d

And the results of tonights efforts -

Rear panels, complete with custom made Bandit graphics

DSC00123.jpg

DSC001222.jpg

Re-coloured side panels. They look sooooo much better with white rather than silver

DSC00125.jpg

Front Fender. Took forever and the finish still isn't perfect, I think it's to do with the crap plastic it's made from but it looks alright.

DSC00124.jpg

Custom made grips. Standard black Motrax grips, I added a mixture of white paint and epoxy to the pattern to make them fit in better.

DSC00126.jpg

And finally the tank, finished at long last! Just needs the fuel cap to top it off. It's been done in white, I'm just waiting for the top coat to cure

DSC00127.jpg

I've also finished the new seats tonight. The old ones were getting old and weren't cutting it for any great distance anymore so I've re-done the foam. They're now thicker and have been re-shaped to help avoid me crushing my nuts every time I brake hard. Also re-covered them in fresh leather (well... leather effect pvc but it still looks great!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom