Project car boot

Associate
Wandering around a carboot sale the other week I happened accross a case that happened to have the PSU mobo and CPU in it, but otherwise stripped bare

I bought it and was originally going to use the case as a bit of a modding project, but it gave me a bit of an idea

To see how little I could bring a Modded PC together for

I plan to use as many parts as I can that like many I have knocking around from other builds and where I come up short then the cheapest part possible.

This build will be real bargain basement but will hopefully turn out as a reasonable job.

Got it home and a quick appraisal of what I would need had me back at the car boot the following week. managed to pick up a DVD ROM for £2 and some RAM for £5. Couldn't find a GPU on the bay so a quick trip to the local worldly PC place and £25 later I had a working GPU (with the added advantage that if the whole lot was borked I could plead ignorance and get my money back.

Took the whole thing apart and set up on my old desk to see if it would work and to my surprise it did.

Cost do far
Case £5 Carboot
DVD £2 Carboot
RAM £5 Carboot
GPU £25 PC W****
HDD £0 from dead Lappy
cables £0 who hasn't got hundreds knocking around!!!
PSU £0 came in case and worked fine.

total so far £37

No pictures of the case in its original form i'm afraid as I wasn't going to bother with a thread.

Photo0947.jpg

That Socket 775 Intel mobo + Processor came in the case too? If so that's a pretty nice find. Best thing I ever got from a Car boot sale was a Logitech PC Racing Wheel which at the time was retailing for £50, I think I paid £15 or something for it.

awesome I pick up bits and pieces like this and my best haul was an ancient sun sparc machine I paid 1p for with monitor etc. it's a challenge picking everything up at a car boot :P what processor is it?

You know when you goto a car boot there is no way in hell you're coming back empty handed lol, as for picking up the bits with a nice total ( maybe a monitor next week? ) is proof there is good stuff to grab if you look.

All my mods are built around stuff i won't pay for or someone else's bits they never want :D

Turns out the mobo is an ASUS P5 GDC Deluxe, and the cpu is a Pentium4 670

The case was an old mesh elite missing the top bit of plastic trim that surrounded the optical drives. Not a problem as it was all coming of.

Another trip to the car boot and £2 later and I have another case that I can use as a source of materials

So far I have cut some side windows and started fabricating a front panel.

20100501_004.jpg

The panels are made up of an outer plastic and inner steel layer which means twice the cutting.

20100501_002.jpg

20100501_012.jpg

20100501_013.jpg

20100502_004.jpg

Also cut the old front out of the case.

20100509_007.jpg

And had to cut and re size the HDD bay as it would foul the fans I plan to put in the front of the case.

20100501_005.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good. Reminds me of my first modded case. Couldn't afford all the flashy glitz that accompanied case back then. Had to make do with what the car boot had to offer! Old/Good Times! Look forward to seeing this completed.

What i should have pointed out at the start is that I have zero metal working skills so this is a learning curve for me (good job its all cheap)

The eagle eyed will notice that the mounting holes for the front fans aren't exactly in line and that the bit of steel from the doner case is actually a tad too small

so another go and decided to cut a peice for the whole front.

20100509_001.jpg

20100509_002.jpg

20100509_004.jpg

20100509_008.jpg

20100509_009.jpg

Some old fans i've sprayed up for the build, giving a bit of a hint to the colour scheme.

20100501_008.jpg

Next job is to cut a rectangular hole for the drive bays.

drive bays cut, made a bit of a balls up of it as you can see. as one side is a smidge too large. originally the hole was only to accomodate 2 of the 3 drive bays but I decided to extend it

measure once cut twice then give the ruler a poor performance review.

20100513_001.jpg

really annoyed with myself for mucking up the original cut

20100513_002.jpg

20100513_003.jpg

Managed to cut a peice that will fill the gap. Once it's fixed in and filled/sanded sprayed etc it won't be visable at all. Still annoying though.

20100513_004.jpg

pretty steep learning curve for me, as although i've done a bit of modding befor, I'never really worked with metal and have zero skills (as is plain to see)

Sent from N900 mobile device

spent most of today masking sanding and spraying fans. the original orange was a halfords "warehouse floor" warning paint and didn't flow on very well at all. As a result they're all being re undercoated while I search out another paint.

20100514_001.jpg

20100514_003.jpg

20100514_004.jpg

20100514_005.jpg

I've used areldite to glue the missing piece in and it just refuses to set.

already tried superglue and not enough contact for it to work.

HELP!!!

Araldite cures by a chemical reaction. You did mix the 2 part tubes didnt you? And mix them well? Equal amounts?

Try PinkGrip, No more nails, Sticks like ****, theres loads of them. I prefer PinkGrip.

Back
Top Bottom