Project car boot

Bit of an update for you, Painting has been going quite well although My workshop roof has developed something of a leak with all the rain we've been having.

Interior grey base coat and exterior white base coat.

(quite like the grey colour, what do you think for it as an exterior coat for another project?

Exterior white undercoat on, and interior matt black top coat on.

Some more bits of painting....

Alll masked up and ready for top coat.

Bit of an update, the painting has gone pretty well so far, bit of a run on one of the panels but easy enough to sort out.

Colour is a bit washed out in some of the photos, but it's all the same deep bright orange (think focus ST)

Side panel with window cut outs.

The other side with the run....

And without the run...

Managed to acheive a nice even high gloss finish.

This is looking really good mate, not exactly yoru garden variety carboot build! :P

I really fancy doing one, maybe I'll more luck than with my main rig at the moment...

Cheers Muel

I ought to calculate the cost of the paint and tally things up a bit. Shouldn't be much, and if you were modding any other case you'd have to factor in the paint anyways so no big deal.

I do have one confession to make though, although the fans are left overs I have treated myself to a few switches and a fan controller. as although its Budget, I didn't want it to look "cheap"

Last edited:
Masking removed, the moment of truth...

Did any orange get through to the insside?????

Nope, not a drop

Pretty pleased with the paint job. 1st time i've ever sprayed panels although I have done my Skeleton mods its harder to spray a panel that it is the struts of the Skeleton.

Things left to do.

Attach front panel
fabricate and install wiring loom cover panel.
attach mesh to front panel
attach mesh to side panel.
mount fans
install hdd rack
wire in fan controller.
assemble light and power switch unit
instal hardware.

beautiful paintwork, loving the concept. I've been looking for a project that I can afford so it's great to see you doing something this good on the cheap. Can't wait to see it all finished.

Thanks for the cooments guys always nice to know tour work is appreciated

Hey, I was just wondering if you have been wet sanding any of the external paint? thanks

I wet sanded exterior panels prior to painting but aside from the drip i had i didnt sand at all between coats as coverage was good and no particles settled during drying

attached front panel last night so all being well should be able to post some piccies later

Well 48 hours after attaching the front panel it's still there so I guess we can officially call it attached.

Found a few more things to paint also (thought i'd finished painting....)

And have a visitor in the workshop. A blackbird sitting on 3 eggs.

And finally the view from my "paint shop" when i'm not painting inside the workshop. Pretty flat round here!!!

Back
Top Bottom