Project CARS 2

Soldato
I know there is a thread elsewhere but this is for the VR content.

Day one purchase for me as looks really good and VR is not an afterthought.

release: 22nd Sept.

£30.97 @cdkeys

Last edited:
Soldato
I was not a huge fan of PC1 on my Vive, but I do wonder how much better this can be? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the game in general, but the problem I found with it in VR was that when I play racing games on a monitor (or even driving IRL) I'm always looking ahead, scanning the horizon as to what's coming up... this is really difficult on any VR headset currently simply due to the resolution limitations. It just makes playing the game as I do on a monitor near impossible on a headset... it's not that it's a bad experience or I don't feel more viscerally connected to the experience, because I do, but there is definitely something lacking which I can only put down to a limitation of VR tech.

Soldato
I found supersampling to be really helpful with that sort of thing, you're going to experience the same problem with PC2 (or any other racing game for that matter). I'm hoping because they've made it with VR in mind, choosing the right settings will enable us to bump up SS and get a clearer image.

Associate
It's slightly better than PC1, although I only have a 980Ti so most of my settings are low to medium with SS @1.5...I'm not an eye candy fanatic, just love my racing games. I'm going to think about a 1080Ti when the prices settle back down...

In terms of ease of use all I've done is tone down the world movement, otherwise it's just click and go...

Associate
I was not a huge fan of PC1 on my Vive, but I do wonder how much better this can be? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the game in general, but the problem I found with it in VR was that when I play racing games on a monitor (or even driving IRL) I'm always looking ahead, scanning the horizon as to what's coming up... this is really difficult on any VR headset currently simply due to the resolution limitations. It just makes playing the game as I do on a monitor near impossible on a headset... it's not that it's a bad experience or I don't feel more viscerally connected to the experience, because I do, but there is definitely something lacking which I can only put down to a limitation of VR tech.
Exactly this. I'm massively into sim racing but the poor resolution meant I returned my Vive. Next gen VR will hopefully sort that out, I'm definitely excited to see what comes next. The immersion was awesome, although did feel a bit nauseous at times lol

Associate
How are people getting early access to this game? I cna't wait for it!

When they released the first game (Apr-15 I believe), they announce the sequel almost straight away (which upset some people despite FIFA and F1 games and their annual cycle being acceptable). At the time they offered everybody the opportunity to pre-buy into the WMD = World of Mass Development - Development forum and build access, it's where the Project C.A.R.S. name came from Community Assisted Racing Simulator) programme for the new game. Basically, we've had access since then (around 2.5 years now). I haven't played it much until the last few months to be honest as my PC couldn't cope with the sometimes inefficient early development code. The earliest builds were just a single area like a huge playing field with some elevation changes and a jump with stripes of different surfaces created so that they could work out the tech for grip transition and surface types. Amazing process to watch and I hope they do it again...it's been fascinating watching a game grow and to get to play it in various states of development. It will hammer your download cap if you have limits though as there is an almost daily build cycle.

There was also a press build issued by Bandai Namco based on a dev build from July, which is what a lot of these "preview" videos are being made using. It's actually a lot better now than it was then...I absolutely love it :)

Associate
Im looking forward to this game too. Its the most played VR game in my collection, I just cant get on with Assetto Corsa but do find it has less glitchy textures unlike PC1. I just hope they don't ruin the physics, I cant find anything wrong with them unlike many people complaining on the net about it.

What I want from the upgrade is a simple update for VR, just to nudge the graphics a bit higher and nothing more.

Soldato
OP
Im looking forward to this game too. Its the most played VR game in my collection, I just cant get on with Assetto Corsa but do find it has less glitchy textures unlike PC1. I just hope they don't ruin the physics, I cant find anything wrong with them unlike many people complaining on the net about it.

What I want from the upgrade is a simple update for VR, just to nudge the graphics a bit higher and nothing more.

Well made my purchase of this from Amazon along with Destiny 2 as had some discount codes :D

Assetto would be perfect if they made the menu system VR compatible it is a bit disjointed to have it separate :(

Heres the GFX settings guide for PCars to as this chap has the press copy.

He is running:
CPU - i7 6700k OC to 4.3GHZ
GPU - GTX 1070 OC CORE +100 MEM + 285

Soldato
Well made my purchase of this from Amazon along with Destiny 2 as had some discount codes :D

Assetto would be perfect if they made the menu system VR compatible it is a bit disjointed to have it separate :(

Heres the GFX settings guide for PCars to as this chap has the press copy.

He is running:

Having watched a lot of his videos i always feel he goes very very conservative with graphics settings, For example i only have a 980 but i pushed my VR settings for AC way higher then he showed in his videos.

Associate
Having watched a lot of his videos i always feel he goes very very conservative with graphics settings, For example i only have a 980 but i pushed my VR settings for AC way higher then he showed in his videos.

Remember he's recording live at the same time usually, that's got to hit the FPS.

The physics has changed sorry, but in my opinion for the better, lateral grip and the ability to lean on the tyres and feel them flex is a big change. I run a 980Ti and I've noticed they have improved the code efficiency for VR in particular for PC2, if I run like for like combos I get much lower GPU usage (looking at afterburner graphs) running PC2 than I do with PC1. Have you got -skipcrowds in the steam startup properties and made sure detailed grass is off, they're big hits in PC1.

I lose access to PC2 for 2 weeks come Friday while they prepare for launch...I think there might some surprises even for the WMD guys in the final release. I've seen chat of secret backroom testing, there are lots of threads that start and then a mod changes it, locks the thread and leaves "nothing to see here" in the post...i'm really quite excited tbh love my racing games.

Back
Top Bottom