Project 'EVIE' - Steampunk 1886 Build

Associate
Yeah the grommets could do with some love and a coolant the same colour as Iron Bru would look nice although someone has already used the real stuff in a build.

Superb build going on here.

Associate
OP
Yeah the grommets could do with some love...

I totally agree with you. Trouble is being rubber they don't accept paint very well. I tried but ended up having to strip it all off as it was flaking. Any ideas would be appreciated on what to do here?

Thanks for all the great comments. It means a lot to me and drives me on with Evie. Another big update coming this weekend.

Associate
I know elastomer type objects are not a very good for painting on. Best thing for sticking to rubber is rubber if you can get it in paint form. Or maybe vinyl paint might be an option. Can't say I have seen coloured grommets either though such a thing must exist.

Maybe a bezel type arrangement around the grommet edge might work might be worth trying a mock up to see how it looks.

Good luck :)

Soldato
I've seen another member (sorry, can't remember who off the top of my head and don't have time to look it up) make 3D printed replacement grommets with the cable passing through holes in it like a cable comb.

Soldato
Print off stickers and put the stickers on the grommets? I have the previous version of your case, 600t, so i know what the rubber feels like and looks like IRL. I think it'll be an inspired thought that will be needed to do anything with them.

Associate
Or you could replace them for leather, possibly riveted in place?

Leather does sound like a good material to use it fits so well with a steampunk theme and perfect i don't think I've seen it used in a mod for grommets before.

Not that it should force any choice on the already amazing build.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Finished a couple of small projects on Evie this week and completed one major one.

I'd always bought sleeved cables in the past but for this build I thought I'd better get round to learning how to do it. First off the production line is the 24-pin. I wanted a neutral sleeving colour in the build but a colour/design that would at least retain a small amount of visual interest.

I'm happy how this arched 24-pin came out.

The last small project for this week was the SLI Bridge. The modern design would not suit this build so a mod was called for to replace the illuminated EVGA sign with EVIE. Trouble was for a simple mod it took quite a bit of cutting and shaping to ensure no light bleed around the illuminated EVIE panel.

This just ain't gonna cut it...

Much more like it...

Onto the major project for this week which was the front panel and front fans inset cover. The center piece and main focus for this was always going to be the 'EVIE' signature plate (and front coolant fill port) but my original signature plate design looked crap when finished so a complete redesign was called for including an engraved brass plate.

The main front panel - only the 'oiler' is missing at the moment.

The original design.....did not get much further than this mock up before I knew a redesign was on the cards

The new design...

Front panel fan cover plate...

Back
Top Bottom