Project: First Person Shooter History

Soldato
Some really good games there. Certainly doom is the number 1 title most people fall back to. I know wolfenstein pipped it to 3D but gameplay is a lot better in Doom.

It's stupid how excited we get talking and seeing these old games. Can't say I'm all excited to talk about gears of war or anything after the 2000's really. Some of them are great games but are not classics.

Man of Honour
I think for when you get to Unreal tournament we should arrange a night to play it properly online on a dedicated server :)

Should be enough on here to get a game going.
Hell yeah... UT and UT 2k4 was somehow remotely installed on all the PC's at the office one christmas a few years ago. ;)

Soldato
OP
Some really good games there. Certainly doom is the number 1 title most people fall back to. I know wolfenstein pipped it to 3D but gameplay is a lot better in Doom.

It's stupid how excited we get talking and seeing these old games. Can't say I'm all excited to talk about gears of war or anything after the 2000's really. Some of them are great games but are not classics.

I re-watched a Zero Punctuation review the other day where he was joking that "kids of today" will look back on Halo 3 with nostalgia saying it is the best game ever. That video is about 10 years old and I'm sure in a few years 360 games will become "retro" for some (wrong!) people ;) Having said that there are some great late 2000s games, like Mass Effect 1 to 3, Oblivion, Minecraft... OK not many, but still some!

I think for when you get to Unreal tournament we should arrange a night to play it properly online on a dedicated server :)

Should be enough on here to get a game going.

That would be cool, playing it how it is meant to be played! But I'd need to figure out how to get my PC online, as I've checked and the motherboard doesn't have ethernet, which is one of those things you take for granted as always being there! I'll need to source an ISA or PCI ethernet card and probably just borrow my main desktop's connection. And also buy the game :p I'm still some way off UT99 though anyway.

I've been ploughing through Descent. It's getting a bit grindy but I've made use of the built in screenshot function. It saves 64kb images PCX format, so you have to open them in Paintbrush in DOS and save as a BMP for any modern PCs to know what to do with them!

VDbkO6n.png

kC0WNDU.png

PiHGJ7d.png

What is this, an image for ants?! Jackie-Chan-postage-stap.jpg etc etc

Edit - this is how that comes out on my 17" screen:

BpcwD4Gh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Game 6, er, complete....

Descent
MchojpYh.jpg

I was quite looking forward to Descent; I let it sneak onto the list as something a little different after all the first person shooters I've had to play in this history of first person shooters - crazy, I know. Unfortunately this is another one that I couldn't gel with and I didn't finish.

Getting it running
This is the first game I had issues getting running - the framerate is tied to the CPU speed. I was going to mess around with cache settings but then I thought I'd try "Descent+" which I also have in my DOS games collection. For whatever reason, this version of the game was not tied to framerate, but runs at 60/75fps, which is probably still slightly too fast.

It uses a setup executable which included options for VR gaming, which was very odd!

Gameplay
The major difference between this and all the other 3D shooters, as you probably know, is that it has 6-way control, essentially needing the arrow keys and WASD. It actually controls quite nicely with this combination, and after a while I was doing complicated key presses to half turn, half strafe around corners.

Where it went wrong for me was the mazey levels. It's intentionally set in mines, whether for artistic merit or graphical/engine limitations I don't know, and as a result it had an uphill battle to hold my attention. In any event, the mines are feel intentionally confusing, with multiple paths going to the same place and hidden doors, as well as doors in the ceiling and floor now that 6-way movement is possible. In fact, considering I was well aware I didn't like mazey games when I started this project, I'm not sure why it would be a "break" which it is probably the worst yet as the mazes are in a 3D space not 2D plane!

The combat feels quite good, with punchy lasers that get upgraded several times over the course of the game. Flying around with Level 4 quad lasers or plasma guns and dispatching the low level enemies with one key press is a good feeling. It's not perfect though, big red dudes with homing missiles are a bit too clever and will shoot homing missiles at you before you're even in the room; enemy spawners which trigger when you pass an undisclosed door need to **** off when you're flying around the level repeatedly trying to find the key (yup still key hunting) and accidentally trigger them again. However there is a wide variety of enemies all with different combat styles; some annoying some satisfying. Whilst playing this I got a real sense of deja vu; I think I played this at somepoint in the 90s on our original Windows 98 PC as I remember the big red homing missile dudes and the relief of finding the exit passage watching the explodey cinematic.

What doesn't feel good is the massive "ship bob" your viewpoint has throughout the game. Being low on health and trying to accurately shoot someone quite far away really doesn't work when you're ship is constantly moving up and down by about half a cube.

I managed 8 levels before I decided I've got **** to do, or rather games to play, and gave in. Partly because it was too hard and partly because of the mazey levels. Most of the games I've played on middle or 3/5 difficulty; this one should have been a wimpy 2/5 difficulty :(.

Graphics and Performance
A second major difference between this and previous games is that it is fully 3D. 3D enemies, player and environment, but the claustrophobic environments really don't show this off. As a result I feel that Doom and Heretic look better than Descent, even though they're 2.5D games.

Still no performance issues given I was using overclocked 1999 kit to play a 1994 game.

Sound
AWE32 sound is back baby, and sounds great! Descent seems to have given some thought as to how to make the most of the AWE capabilities and had high quality music and sound effects. The tunes themselves were not great or memorable, (in fact they were quite annoying actually) but the sound quality was very high. The same is true for the sound effects - Sometimes I forgot I was using 1995ish sound hardware as it just sounded... normal.

Was it fun?
Nah

Should you play it?
Yes, for the 6-way experience, but if you're thick and impatient like me don't expect it to be fun for long!

Screenshots
BujPKoqh.jpg

dkUNDjbh.jpg

sKqzqXih.jpg

4IMBZnk.png

qKMTmEVh.png.jpg

Man of Honour
Yeah, Descent was a very good game, but the idea was certainly ahead of the tech around at the time.
Descent II using Glide was a lot more playable.

Soldato
A couple of others worth a look:

Project I.G.I. - probably the first FPS I played that truly felt 'open'. Dodgy enemy respawning aside it was a very fun, atmospheric game.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - great slow paced FPS. One of those movie tie-ins that ended up being successful.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, Descent was a very good game, but the idea was certainly ahead of the tech around at the time.
Descent II using Glide was a lot more playable.

Glide you say... I actually set up a PC with a Voodoo 3 in it (mainly so the parts weren't loose in my cupboard but also when procrastinating from Descent 1) so maybe I'll try out the Shareware version of D2. Also i'm planning on running original Quake on the main PC I've been using on software mode and then also trying glquake using the 3DFX minigl driver with the voodoo in this other PC..

Man of Honour
Glide you say... I actually set up a PC with a Voodoo 3 in it (mainly so the parts weren't loose in my cupboard but also when procrastinating from Descent 1) so maybe I'll try out the Shareware version of D2. Also i'm planning on running original Quake on the main PC I've been using on software mode and then also trying glquake using the 3DFX minigl driver with the voodoo in this other PC..

Yup. Was an unofficial patch that was released by 3dfx themselves iirc.

Soldato
OP
Game 7 Complete!

Duke Nukem 3D

QnK8x5Vh.jpg

After Descent turned out to be just a bit too... something, I was hoping that the comparatively simple Duke Nukem 3D would allow me to get back to mindless fun. And I was absolutely right - what a game!

Getting it running
I had no problems getting it running. It's the first game that has graphical options as well as sound options.

Gameplay
This was another game that worked very well with mouse control. It's a bit odd not being able to look up and down (at least by default) but your auto aim allows you to shoot up and down reliably once you get to trust it (like Doom)
wink.png
. The core gameplay of running, jumping (First game with a jump key, and it took me three hours to realise it!) and shooting is incredibly enjoyable due to a refreshing lack of niggling frustrations when you play. There is no getting lost in a cube/grid based map, no crazy head/ship bob like in Descent. Few hidden areas and rarely are very hidden ones required to progress the story, and I didn't get lost at all.

The levels in Duke 3D look like places. Hopefully, gone are the days of running around a maze a game designer created (with the intention of getting you lost!), as Duke and the build engine effortlessly create a world; a fun but believable world. I'm not saying it's realistic, but the unbelievable gameplay is happening in a truly believable world, for the first time. It's crazy that we went from Wolfenstein 3D to this in four years!

Yes, keycards are still here, but I only needed to use a walkthrough once (and that was on an annoying spinny cog puzzle) and the levels are intuitively laid out so that you're I didn't actually get lost or have to back track much at all. The levels are also short enough that progression is steady. In fact, it might be a bit too short, but I understand there is a fourth episode that I might have to track down after this project!

Duke controls very well with the mouse and keyboard; on the second difficulty I had had no issues with getting stuck in a rut and actually beat the developer's time for the final boss fight in Episode 3! (I got 54 seconds or something). I'm not sure if circle strafing was a thing back then, but it makes combat very enjoyable and "empowering" being able to literally run rings around enemies. Of course, I died quite a lot, the game has a habit of spawning duded behind you, but quick save and quick loading means its rarely an issue. In fact, this might be the first game on the list that doesn't have a lives system? Ammo is usually slightly sparse to keep the tension on but never enough to think that you're doomed and need to reload an earlier save.

There are gadgets which are of varying use; it seems that these have been experimented with in a few games and Dukes are mostly useful with scuba gear and jetpacks essential at some points. However, I didn't use the holoduke at all (intentionally) and I only activated steroids (which makes you run really fast and presumably tank more damage) when I instinctively hit the R reload key.

Overall, the gameplay is great fun. Mostly this is due to the removal of a lot of frustrations of earlier games that allow the core gameplay to shine through finally.

Graphics and Performance
My introduction to the build engine. It can create some great looking places with high quality lighting and textures (for 1996). It's quite a leap over Doom, Heretic and Descent, but then I remember that Quake came out (later) in the same year...

This was the first game where there was the odd performance hiccup, running at 800 * 600, fully software. It was completely playable the whole time but during hectic sections I could see my framerate drop to well under 30 for a few seconds. The trade off for this performance hit was very nice graphics (coming from 3xx * 2xx gaming). It's odd to see my processor finally "have to do something" where performance has been a non issue so far.

Sound
Duke 3D supports AWE32. The test (which plays the theme) is quite disappointing and misleading as it sounds terrible on the AWE32, due to the guitars I think, and I was very tempted to just go Soundblaster OPL3 instead. However the rest of the soundtrack is very good in AWE32, and is quite electronic and pulsey which sounds good through OPL and AWE32. There are some stand out tracks like Aliens, Say Your Prayers! and Plasma(which play back to back) which really create a fantastic mood (albeit contrasting with the permentantly silly and brilliant tone).

Was it fun?
You bet your balls it was!

Should you play it?
Absolutely.

Screenshots

This is the first game where the built in screenshots are actually usable! I didn't know that it would only save 35 screen shots before overwriting from the beginning, so we've only got the last 35 to pick from! This is annyoing as I did some nice screenshots with the hud removed and my gun lowered, all of which were overwritten.

el3dp1e.png

XpgSeE4.png

GMm8P9t.png

JGzt9C6.png

3AtEgg7.png

zIG8RCd.png

Jgi5b4A.png

I must be remembering that film wrong...

Soldato
Project I.G.I. - probably the first FPS I played that truly felt 'open'. Dodgy enemy respawning aside it was a very fun, atmospheric game.

Wasn't project igi third person?

I remember playing the codename eagle demo and thinking a) this is pretty ropey b) this could be amazing. The first game I remember where you could almost do anything (so it seemed at the time). Run and gun, drive a tank or plane etc

Iirc it was a predecessor to BF 1942. One of those games that was a good idea, but was probably limited by the tech at the time.

Associate
We used to drag all over the place to play Descent and Duke Nukem. Descent played massively better if you used a joystick and then 'flew' around the levels properly. I seem to recall binding the first aid kit to the same key as forward so you would always heal (The kit isnt a single shot thing from memory)

Soldato
Really jealous of the disposable time you have to play these games :D

Also the AWE32 - this and the Gravis Ultrasound were the hottest sound cards you could get at the time. Ive still got my first ever sound card, a Soundblaster Pro v2. I still remember the joy at replaying all my games at the time and hearing the wonderful game scores and sound effects. 2 years with just PC Speaker sound had taken it's toll. I almost wet myself in excitement when I heard the digitised speech in Wing Commander 2 for the first time :o

Soldato
OP
The AWE32 - when used to its fullest - is a big leap over FM sythesis and soundblaster sound in my opinion. More games than not sound noticably better with it! I've also got a "Soundblaster 16 Waveffects" which is basically a vibra-based card, I'm tempted to try that out at some point to see if there is much difference.

These games do not take as long as you think to complete - Duke 3D was done in about 4 hours for the three episode normal version. I think I'll be slowing down quite a lot by 1998 or so. Quake is only shareware, which is a shame, but from there I can see the games getting longer.

Man of Honour
Duke Nukem 3d. Possibly the best FPS game ever. Deathmatch was fun as hell too.
Add that it also had loads of in jokes, just made it even better.

That's one doomed space marine. ;)

Back
Top Bottom