Project: Garage Office/Workshop Thread

Soldato
I'm gonna use this as a bit of a project thread. Mainly for me to keep a log of it, but thought a few on here would enjoy reading through it.
I have little DIY knowledge so all of this is a bit of a learning curve for me. I work full time and have hobbies/kids so finding time to do it is difficult!

The aim is to build a Office/Workshop room in the back half of my garage and insulate it. Working in a single skin block garage in the winter is ruddy cold, so I want to improve it and make it a much nicer place to be.

When lockdown hit, I had a perfectly useable spare room I could use. Within a couple of months that quickly changed as my oldest daughter needed her own room and the youngest was transitioning from Moses Basket in our room to the youngest's room. Annoyingly, there wasn't anywhere else in the house I could setup a workstation and not be bothered by noise or be in the way, etc. So my only option was to move into the garage.

Initially I just put everything on my workbench and stood at the desk. This was OK for a few days, but quickly got old uncomfortable when doing 8+ hour days at it:

y4mZAH06nF2CAjoQ3vIQL2jbRxWQS4U2pSDAwXDiXcCWSY_KtzlYE6PLv5uGx46TPs0-7czY3C0fZXiQpLMxKPqJmg6RhykBQrQtlVa0YTmzionvVZ9WqR5BFpSdHKFB_aOd52da-60i2Cs6f2bRCSpuHk19dg6Z62b6TKVFGBR6YsQwbL4x1eWNQx0PM6qe0WA

IMG_20200503_183429.jpg

As you can see, there is very little space and lots of stuff in there. So the next stage was to start sorting through everything, selling what I could and scrapping the rest to make room for a better setup. I then moved onto version 2, which was much more comfortable. I essentially made room for my desk and chair to go. I also spent £20 on some second hand carpet tiles so I didn't wreck my wheel chairs.

y4mxnw6APnFzO6CZbzRBni1YJuOkHl-BDzfys8Og3G_DYE9TRUlRF-hSYBBvgRL3SngDp2Ff3tI2MLz0rY6sx3NfwTxYinKdUmOY15xLI7qI1E89EL4gENQ__cUi7m9Hgsz_jNphlPYHb7aJ02ES0VGKzL4D4gPTTnETJggIc9bZY4G0rFk7M3KSUPuhICJxhOz

There was still a lot of stuff in the garage. I'd sold all my car parts from the days I used to do motorsport and scrapped a lot of stuff. With still lots of stuff to store, and more stuff accumulating due to kids, I decided I needed a Shed.

Behind my garage was a Log store I'd built a few years ago. Whilst it was useful to have it there, once full it had enough wood in it for 4 years worth of burning, so I've moved to a smaller log store and sold this one:

y4mFOr4T9-MOc83Xdpe5ItY5ajTFM_Etb6Yjqv9duY_57F3wswIkpspAoHxy1o6L1Y3frqtB73t9fqGLKji8SdccjsL8uEqG19V2fw7IKeiHoV2ZAEvTJWsZvj6BzcVqUs2lmZCoYQiM5-WFvDMwyelHAJEgJMS_sXSD5jmIgCIVc_d1WCqQpN35RfaPVasTNmw

Once cleared I had a decent sized area to work with. I wanted an 8x8 Shed, but getting one during Lockdown was very difficult. All online retailers had huge waiting lists. I ended up calling the suppliers and finding out when shipments were due so I could F5 during that day to ensure I got anything I could. I ended up with a Keter 8x7 plastic Shed. To lay the shed on I bought a plastic interlocking shed base.

The area itself was chippings and soil and looked fairly level, however after setting out my base dimensions it was clear it was anything but!

y4mLJJMzU8TB1t4kFUwV9iZ6a-C4hiSBfxyB_eG_dvOrNsIicVXyARNne6Wd8mtW5ll5et0zqKs9crEU4OrH63vGIoOpfU4ybJLXviDJ_kfh4-NqMSrFHuDPrcejkmI82ST29pLRnHYv_lenktzWcYVv2fZTs3AhPy-WVOnGCqkYiBfm8Djt4Q6MPIX9Zf2yui_

(Fence is rotten, I paint it every year but its my neighbors and they aren't keen to replace it!)

So as the area was hugely out of line, and I didn't want to raise the level against the fences or the garage wall, I decided to dig all the chippings out and see what I was left with

y4mgt6nBoCk5DG21XcBw0Z22EkwU7R8TSLrGpgDvWKDV0N8Wx1uhzVGBjjXVEWwEFpHx1mCu8diG3hdPVzFCmB7LyXY_uj4SZAQSxmdv3PYvQXh2-ncJgzl690Iox-cYxKsesTPPhh64lMOvKqk8Xlak7vnnwoyflBIyV2DdwofDsVsGbfr5z7GXBaSttWOH8IO

This bit of timber was sat level, so you can see the difference in level I had to work with.

y4mG77G5NkSY9_0ooNPdRSZL6vjgTXeT3jh-XSLAMKUg81yEhQGENUMYq9xPm_ncF5PD68XBcvAv6eAgRxGVEkS_vD2GIXTNnKBrl8UijsyvUdFVXVGOGvdNw_pe3R6orC4mLYRyPRbUi2DpZXQSWRLsW5WXlcAzrVPSmWZ807UVEr-Uq9liE2IpFPJygZK17jh

After much thought, I decided my only option was to essentially build an island out of the chipping I had removed, lay a strong weed membrane then put my shed base on that and infill as a slope to the fences and garage wall to ensure I didn't cause any damp/drainage issues, and it also meant the shed could sit on the base, level with the hard standing area I had:

This picture is poor and doesn't show the difference in level. The back half of the island was about a foot tall and it reduces to barely nothing towards the slabbed area

y4m0FodRwOYkHwdHxqa5dlKxEMfXJwOUfgqWpzepnIBWUAbG1ZKY8bvTzyvchQJIl61rOnMwwRqjzw149rADOloeU691kUAFFJA80aaMskyJTJNbRqObJKdwfrqg0SWuLvyY45XTepE_hzRBtt8t46RpKshxXzyw4pMPkjZtKjQegA8vOp0Zu-IN0UD7BvqmkNP

Weed membrane down and shed base laid:

y4mecwiarlTRdQGT5dYNsQGQIN-KqnOpgKsXM2EpQ5MGMRfaCqfo3p9ZViRnAzfwlxiBORpuZLIpb8wkyfAi4eQD1c58O83OBCzqQrsZ0dn0xjZYw1R8bqMu8LGzA8i6_l9gEZAfnsSnpBGy8TtShr39q8eFj17tP9j5y9Muvi0GpKQVjo50IIJmtoBhaYBmSfH

Finished off Weed membrane:
y4mAAvHQYUsxfEGSPg47m4FwCOceZQJGMyXkxom-C0cTmAqVv5JcorrxcJy0VKQCC3SG-96tVBuiUnz3dbSIo-QidaW0dpCTqYJ1Les1j6tIGA92Slxp10TXG-PmLntsVLvMgReGI2_rvo9nozDuOvJUOBKEkuFTzH_Noat0ilG_e2Dz2SfbAxQaHjjMAb-YGwo

I then ordered 1x bag/ton of chipping and filled up the Shed base and then infilled the edges to tidy it up

y4maTD5T2wYPZTjRYyYvVNGouolEM3HELxVpLgMbeGWefL8IwrmPIuQS5H4ND7h3DTiS7gC8q6bxa2bWVCiOH6H_w-yEaf3K-ESp0nXk9hLaxCxmxIzNgC0UULlG2oppvnHYEIYrx4dO7Ofx6rHqaEpA-i_ZyCcQMOn3v0V1RSMK7Y9_WcHtSQ9mUiproUQsI11

y4myqQ7XxsgbKNXaKdmwDvHxyP_uJVeEbjT-DdVhpF2d4noKd9LzSHHZ06j2PQ46tFuO83X6LQ4hfdSH-hpeJODsI3IRupESjY_Ro0L8-h9hP1S6gl8XWxCo9aiW3nfdi8RoQfzQ5I_6cheP-XBVrIqD5jceD_VdwTbZExvJMi36nVQTgihvagnyv2w42T5ALyw

Finished and ready for when the shed arrived. It arrived on a day when it was howling it with rain and wind, but as it was delivered in unwrapped cardboard I decided I'd get on with it. Not the easiest task on your own (especially the roof in the rain and wind) but I managed it. Here it is finished:

y4muorp_VeslTFLNQrbh4JWSxOkp9kGIQ_WiUNoVEWrWprxq9q2GWYXW-rHYKhmZMO3EfRtT8URjjQUMpWTSwrY0zu4gUSc5rYLfCq7DxMmzcIeIfDqfmCDcoHhONeuia1DSq-SXizicOf0Cu1OY3tE0XT964JepXbb8oAL8tGnQu5T4MJ5es6HByw-w4dAhqFJ

I then put up some shelving to move everything I could left in the garage to the Shed:
y4mr2aBdBgNM1-zXJXxaEzSMNZbhTqfAe7Bm2qhFubOo6dRn_TdYMtRIwIvXzbjBU2wl5Z03m4vA7QzYPEkfcEp43e8Ph4qoDq9CK9rWmnAiF9QAvcXtzg4HTSjR1fRyoFAm2WUGyaytHjq0g3Dzoxs3vliK87ExFctxg17ACxLJ4_w3ydxPNYYKx-ULT5D_jfg

This now gave me half of the garage empty, enough space to build my box/room for my workshop/office:

y4mEKBtLivhmtUu467_5MGLbWsGnYiCSMQ5JSFkU4AqWcYdKdZd5Yt0QJwYRBtLpceZ4USFt_bXNRJYBUGrIOAN2j2E2-5ZzD-_NVl2_ed5LEfC1o96BILHBCi-evJCiBp7PLsb3daRJGxcDywnm-ieQOWCBLhblO7K1RPXM5ogZJ-EYHtcITvUV1MKmVGGFs19

From the strut pilar to the back wall was 2.7M, and it's 2.7M wide. This is ample enough space for a small room and it meant I could keep the front half of the garage for storage, etc.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
With the garage now mostly empty, next on my list was to add more light. I did consider velux/tunnels but decided their cost/value wasn't worth it, and instead opted for a Window that would be big enough to let light in, but not too big so that it looked on in the garden where the ground is higher.

When I measured the Window size for ordering, I went for a size that meant I'd only be cutting a block every other row. The Window and glass took months to arrive, and when it did I had no time to fit it, so I got a builder to do it for a reasonable price (£250). Not the tidiest of jobs, but good enough!

Here's the wall before the Window was fitted. The wall is slightly stained due to a plant/bush being there before which I cut down to make space for the Window:

y4mx8utVjX8ptgYfLnurF_BgEnO4tsg0DsfZDuxRj3z-J8fbrf8p7MnE6owUgMeRDlXH-KX2n3oHTlxy9j87b-1_MwIB_LMcKhUHEG0JKfqygK-mnMPm-DFf2uZf2bdnmJMVYRB-U-_cx8PJ1Z_uEtAsc9kYiNwqhqMz_HwvcTjO70BagwdgIf-rI-JD0rmRbzM

y4m9urffAtDK8jmDsPjy_Qs5zphAeO0xmBCOKOOE7-Gs1U_oMM8fWE3rJ3xgy8EyF4xkbH4u3vKfyXJaBOdYSj--BWyk7Oz-_G4fGYnnZx16buXtsQn62s35KUEiAKtYs6FZ3bcKhFtRTSbqShLCf9VaBfTS0gtoPt6r5QytWl-QipcyZRXMY8ZZIglJkwqbpgy

During/Post Window fitting:
y4m0xsX0xla1uQ5zlSI9Anv5A07Our7v5JwGRcMbdusZLR9gpQsTpZid8HPmH-JKI2C9nn8DJMHT1lejZy7b0Uf-V_8R6v_YmgPvacK1vhPYeFyAoCXAnSv4isiyRyZecU_vCCg9BEhuuEts9Tu5I-cOVwZFpPSfHnUqxRuUB39Kmiwk_nbjYoCREdXlzbs47tO

y4mUfGKjmN7gNjeV6FJOv0UBXb0SJjUMDcLfQdBM27hAbrroj3BWcokvs0_cjnYiMqcfX9ISIAC9Qn12D3JRF3rmj2nYkIXNRal47-aG8H8hWad9yfGo2dwczpf0W51xfSp5mV1CEM5pS9o8kkksU_Uo_9SlEAdbtA7Jh5SBmilJOQgbdts0atHdYaazw9udZbl

y4mDR6Otrb9cLfERAN3znD9Jx9zGgkAq77lAuqegU1H_NNxP1xwbR8sdgI0LIf3hjGDruVR2UbRGHk1i844hSd4G4bdHS7MSFbOM1nyDFK8MgqS1tJ5Mz6W3bp9tQrEBfWfOfAbbQ2fmaE8NLazkvRQeUiiW1qj90aabB6hDdgnFLG83jREHViQ-nw8vnkVXnWB

I'll need to tidy up that rendering and re-paint the garage once the project is finished inside.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
With the Window now fitted and some space available, it was time to order some materials to start the room build. The plan is essentially build a Stud box/room inside the back half of the garage with a door in the middle of the Timber wall as you walk up to the room. The floor will be floating chipboard on top of the PIR Insulation, PIR Insulation in the walls, Rockwool in the ceiling. There is already power in the garage, but its a simple circuit so I'll be having a small consumer unit put in, and new rings run for sockets/lights. I'll be getting an electrician to do most of the electrical work.

Material prices are currently mental, but I want to crack on so after a few quotes from local merchants this little lot turned up:

y4mRrg2ubljDCODGexUGVffBX0I2uZqlwcF-C1r1aj15Gl8UOaOqavvlzBeq2uYQnl0FkmSnDNNPu2j4waffS6vRNEI7wDlQjYj5q9FtFhERyQ2WT4hUwXYxHiOZMlMYuWBxD1xah9wB36HtDDEikFsK7X8trIXB8HOGrL1MZjWhTmiqu3ZqYHxk_4Mr7N3qnIC

• 38x63x2400mm CLS for the Stud walls
  • 60mm PIR for the Floors and Walls (Will probably use rockwool for ceiling insulation)
  • 22mm Chipboard for floating floor
  • Tapered Edge Plasterboard for the walls
As the Garage is a single Skin construction, from research I decided to lay a DPM on the floor and up the walls past the Damp course. I attached this to the walls with Gorilla Tape which has worked well in most places, but I could do with some suggestions how how to affix it better (not sure if it matters if it comes unstuck in the future??

y4mtSbVbHZEJAWDDEFHRq4rXcfQR8-UDZZfMkZ81R1A1FzG8jZOhW8p8-Ed1ZmkHRoA1ykpNJgUVSNDBq7K_-VmhK65IXrq4gRj-qw6fTYDvijsNlVCjLbnJrXa6DFdrKZZN2flFm5ThWRda_dohNrn1HTNCL-7tzTQnqZZtSu3RMlfqG-6dPin7gbI2s_ni7Bm

My brother is a carpenter and owes me a few favors so he came round with his Paslode gun and we made a start on the stud walls for a few hours. I've spaced the timbers 50mm off of the walls to make sure the timbers wont be getting damp/creating and cold-bridging.

y4m5dHyfq3ZDbpuMithJpQ8ME2IRlE7P2JHYQ90TTecRDlY0No4EZVUg_AkKOnFp69waABQLwY3ru2fHyetN4QFIOf0HextIugPBhEoX-8nC3BD6Ir8-_hCLA0QgtcmvHzq89nN7vgYX4urtemDsc26FJIRup8jIzJ6dPf1zlORfZxAFyhsNRvwQrjmHCAU5eX6

After Day 1:

y4m8bKHzj9yUMZK9YFpGT4yieq0fILBRdl5LKDR2wI9CAi3LoPC_sLIRKzlCO0pGcCdaC2hty9fS1tNIw8eIgUThG7IA9YSoju2oRTMrf9u3sROTmjKO-CUhKP9qtpvTpWTL37WF2ApMS3vXMTAg7MMcxNE2qTjIL5m0ZBZVfsOHwGPg_I2mRQQWE9ha2f3_Pd-

Day 2:
y4m4pb24lvdwly0s-qN9k1e4_gn4GDjkw6xQfoXdgTokb4dMRIuXIoqBbN3Xj3HfdIcOJ9_qsNZykDP40qpMJtn5uEpiSlehnEDvUB0vKepTiUuEnha6V6vPAurQHETmAbrcOOsYA1HVkHVhZR4xcyfTxOoimNPn8R7W34wPr6XqgGGHCcMc2VFXCp2y1ieEMpT

y4m0UMivOHdWTx7-YPHB6dRHId7NTh0S4uYz8kXEKNI2zCVzNYZV9mb-krvUs6ewzxVXkXuZfy1ZbgFY-oy0MENus-vgE1VP7PGVSbq6EXWkpQKrPjV75XbdSXrdEwUXSGYB_NZex8XkBQLc41PQubnNLmQWJr_BqzE5KOk1XMhK6NohXducBke8fbrHN2HGGHs

y4mwISk2j0Mu1NAb-9VH1Rumhjk0EdcJAtn82JAcO9ooveasQgJuKG76mBtBi8PZroqvsDWTab2-O6_WyXeVLFb8mYlrJ7-k0ElooZDQQH2kiII29PHIMpZP_mp3kDanwJd-zQOzaW4x0z_BLyxmphLF4iQ2hgtcjhvuNcrlMpJtpinFfgLtAT3FOTC8rRWjMpN

y4mpzS2O90e7ilQMKoNSwCZtkIBOfJb0DW-Iyk59KSuxCniXgKj-ZMoZCbdXJq95u4WqEO0k-GNpJkmVI1JUOB-q-7T8jMZh3J0lbN-yQiXFu_FSnYAfxW1Qrdgz11iLZKCKYgUbrbzdrxfcomzVHdPJUfYxizoRIH0su8zxAOGOFOCvwEcOkG54bp7Tl2h0A93

This takes us up to the current stage.

I now need to order some more timbers for the roof as the span for the plasterboard is too long and some additional CLS for noggins.

Some questions:

1. My walls will be infilled with PIR Insulation. My research says I should have a membrane on the WARM side of the room to prevent cold and hot air mixing and condensing... What sort of a membrane should this be? Can I just staple the same sort of membrane I used on the floor (Damp Proof Membrane 5m x 4m Blue (300mu) (toolstation.com)) or does it need to be something else?
  2. What lights would people recommend for this? I'll ask my electrician, but was considering downlights but know they can be expensive and cause hassle with insulation, etc....
  3. Heating - I would have liked to of got a Air Conditioning system fitted, but cost/space means this is a no go. Should I instead opt for a wall mounted electric heater? Any recommendations?

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pictures are now showing :)

Well done, this looks like a good project - Give you your own man cave!

Thanks! Glad they are now showing. Had to use the Embed function for each picture in OneDrive unfortunately.

Great work!

Thanks!

looks great, very similar to what I had done in my basement.

How's the bottom plate attached to the floor without piercing the membrane out of interest?

1. The insulation you have in your pictures looks to be standard with foil on both sides so shouldn't matter which way you have it and shouldn't need an extra membrane, just friction fit and foil tape the joints

2. I used LED fire rated wide angle spots - these you can insulate over the top of without having to worry about going up in flames

3. simple oil filled rad?

I was keen to avoid attaching the bottom plate to the floor and pierce the DPM. Essentially its not fixed to the bottom, it is fixed to the joists in the roof and once all the uprights were in place it is now solid and I can't move it even if I really try and pull it. The initial plan was to fit the bottom plates to the floating chipboard flooring spaced off of the wall, but that wouldn't allow the chipboard to expand/contract. This seems to work well and I can't see it moving at all once the plasterboard is fitted, etc. I've gone for 400mm centred uprights to add extra strength and rigidity.

Thanks. Yea, I did read that there is a vapour barrier in the PIR, but had seem some posts on other forums recommended upping it. I haven't got any of the silver tape but will be sure to get some and spend time taping everything up before plaster boarding.

Will mention those lights to my electrician when I get him round and see what he says. The window lets in quite a lot of light, but will need more for winter, etc.

A good read and looking forward to more updates.

That's too much work for me, I would have worked from the car with a laptop :)

Yea, initially it was just going to be put up a stud wall and some rockwool and chipboard, but I decided I'd spend a bit more time/money and get it right first time.

Soldato
OP
Additional timber for the roof has arrived, the prices have gone up AGAIN! Timber prices are genuinely awful at the moment. Hopefully Saturday I can do the roof/ceiling timbers + missing noggins and then do the flooring. Then it will be cutting and pressure fitting the PIR insulation.

Soldato
OP
How good are those plastic sheds? Thinking of getting one to house some electrics and and few bits and bobs.

How would you mount a fuse box to the wall of one of these? Or perhaps run a cable along the outside of it clipped under the eaves some how?

Would it be possible with a plastic shed?

Thanks

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Honestly, they are fine. The Plastic one will last for a long time and wont need any treatment. They are easy/quick to put up. However... I wanted a wooden one but you couldn't get one anywhere for months. If I end up needing a shed again I'd go for wood if it's available because it is stronger and more secure. If you wanted to you could cut through the walls of the plastic sheds with a stanley knife. Luckily mine is just filled with junk no one would want to steal!

I can't see why you couldn't clip the cable and secure a consumer unit (fuse box) to it, but you would need to check the regs/with an electrician to be sure.

Soldato
OP
OK, so the new timber arrived and a couple of Saturdays ago I put up the additional roof timbers and finished off the missing noggins on the wall studs.

y4mRctBUc4cmsmlWJVSXLMU3qEdh2wmxrUoCConwAtlRLXnSOfKXDbjYOnCUZT4B3ZwqXeYp36B2FyVdGUof-3iUigPoUv5UyBJgtbR7mQc_DXCu6t3ae12U9soFn1dnCdf9h_PwolPhCmLBgER-XhsVwCYf5tfARKEww67u7gMKtFWW2bm7-Z-rKdSmCSrfYeV

After the timbers were finished I had a few minutes spare, so I started cutting up some of the PIR Insulation and pressure fitting it between the studs. I cut it 1-2mm too big so its a snug fit....

I borrowed my brothers Jigsaw and a breadknife type of blade to cut it which seemed to be fairly easy and created very little dust.

y4mJ_DF2g-ZPkSyLiuwqhEpBJB62E0ih__vWgWXKG9rGgM3bbJzB8NSBKjSE3sYaz1LNhBj3YY94vjxLAnNFENn858t8OnnvzDK1DFbid6PdmA5F4oY907sm7t0pErg3yYf-zZFb9SLl0c1iimSa4MV_B-TDY0P2hjFoCT8_TzvNYlGyrpSP0P-T_D8ZcKbcpke

Currently still trying to find time to continue with it, but it may have to wait for the weekend.

Questions still in my mind before I continue:
  1. How can I properly secure the DPM I've taped to the wall with Gorilla Tape? On some bits it has come away a bit... Do I just ignore it because it can't fall down or is there a proper method used to do this?
  2. Still unsure of what Vapor barrier I should buy the the walls... I read I need to prevent the hot air and cold air hitting each other and creating moisture/condensation... I know this needs to go on the warm side of the room top of the PIR before I PBoard...

Order of things to do still:
  1. Properly affix the DPM to the wall
  2. Finish doing PIR in between studs
  3. PIR on floor, then Chipboard on top (allow 10mm gap around the edge for shrinkage/expansion)
  4. Silver Tape all around the edge of each PIR Board
  5. Fit Vapor Barrier with staple gun
  6. Fit Counter battens (battens on top of CLS to crate a service void for cables, etc between PIR/Vapor barrier and plasterboard and allow things to be screwed to the wall without piercing PIR/etc)
  7. Get Electrician in for first fix/run cables/fit consumer unit/etc
  8. Loft Roll insulation in ceiling
  9. Plasterboard ceiling
  10. Plasterboard walls
  11. Electrician in for second fix
Anything I am overlooking or have forgotten?

Soldato
OP
Right, time for a bit of an update. Project has been neglected a bit due to holiday/work/etc. But with the colder weather coming and not wanting to sit in a bare garage in winter again I have cracked on and done some more.

The PIR got done in stages whenever I had an hour or 2 spare. Annoyingly, every time I wanted to do some work on it I had to empty the area of slides/trampolines/bikes/etc which just wasted time before I could actually do anything. I continued to cut up the 60mm PIR and pressure fit in between the CLS studs.

y4me5Y5sPB4V6Xrzw-v-S2TyxFdyuPtpQGO8ZxH_oN4cQJkJochTs9rWY8vY7YJyEBSeXNpi9o5cxiE6FNTSyF3UyXzarC7lJjJczzArijUGtJqtQx4btVzK9CF5iqKeca6ljYJQ7Nzl7AKhYfAxbuhRFxT0GEd6e6yTSE1CNCs0sMCQZzSEtE8iWdflcW68d2J

y4mqtZWUJJPY10XqCNOA9qQIi0-PyKzZkbk-1gMbmQX-RlC5hBm8PowulYkMhKn16ZiLHYQLybQEZpKEbq7yRK8bmS2DUmBDv57euHqCLDheHOOrLfeELnyrLi_OsGOBaeTtlWS7vPkNBwiEQI2BJ_bJqGnQsPcwBsORt5n4URE6bZ_w29ly2f8lRzxm3ekGsEi

y4myEpDOnPEdLuuhSokYVhBuwjMjeBZupPCIOoKaKD3WTVSLfbqYOv3cEALWiZHC2uXCt_5xzh_xtUkGMOu3t0Ks87VSTtsuNz6B2kYen2UUuyLlVdJPQFE9Kkeog3BTnKQ5RF17EbQrotkRjp8w2-GFvlQAQe7OuTGUe9bn7jHFsPOjvr521pxjRx55Oz3fgoy

y4mAnjGXa8Tf04r_pXCq53wTcSt8uqGy31rTvfSiQhTFQ9WmET9pvBhlmGaB20Zi-6yPsS44SY1nHiWGYx65IWBTPdDV2hyZs_1eGyG5tCDv_K_OExubCkluTjZLAuZYyO8tKHZWuOgahtpymNVJm6NG4oLjzFxeHEnOpqMPQOJTruv-1CemIB9yOb69iP820jp

y4mdxASpr33ZmrZJjzdSx2rtv1txb7-VpagdxAetlbH_kxoKv7oh77l0dCe1hulJym2eKlxJk440EZ8_WVrdXhaUuxfhI164gDwhLvVusTy1na6oh0kVPWmwtgdX2OSlToTU2ByCWhl1ZF9szEKQSqm_RbS7qCRhpYjbSW8UHZCLyAnOT9laYz21V_bwPofS-ws

Once the walls were done, I repeated this on the ceiling with the same 60mm PIR
y4mUFN4yzmksweFRdk8KwT34ggSKgA7-XdYOMXO0jkI0KPrGKJWxIRzh1qKcAXG6ZT5Hlm__R78t1qXi_L7FRzYFZaUgDpKi1buVH8DzI9H9s1YLPMdYPIFX0mwxFTUNbHaq1PJ3waiqJf_IfGQmrwsbqXsdoxZlioxm5YGQTUqDeR9AuSvLXbm4kdgO9fkpv-5

I then laid the same 60mm PIR Insulation on the floor on top of the DPM and taped all the joints. We then laid the floating 28mm Chipboard flooring and glued it together with wood glue.

y4mS6hBex2BpJX2tFq7ny39KWutixKLu4T-8Y-hpOg8MsS9tkmRvnxC-dKGcSTLb2qR67SKhpUbmbuONYazDo4xG2cLA31eWfy6EgZNlJJg9Z1fJl5roYaHgv_hQNrnA7VZjq9caxMFC8Gf9Aj8h90kr28ne5vNbMLs89ulpEF2vqPN5vNHI6XHbjp1awA-SlzA

Here you can see my current desk area, with the office space in the back half of the garage
y4msCSgkDCEZEAznLra_7CIsVOeH4sdtAeA5H_rneY9sisd-6txa4hUqA7LF5wQyxFo2hrozNSky7uTeiyFDfS25hO4prh4lMQ93SsPGcDdfO7c5Bc_nmRrcVKvAazfMD0kfo5_EmrDeNtnZgYB_ObvwnwiW7FFRusCJEAz7sv84k24uJzZz3ANBXQMveYzctZo

Once the glue had dried I then started taping all of the joints with foil tape:

y4mHajhoj5IXnrejUX-X67G9E4Vk-pdEMc0O0IhTzE3XD2wN_6sww5cxz9RvDwnJUlECV6yeht_BDs2PrRIA0-LmJ145IS4n493X0b3JPJ9ag3PT-PHMbNfXBqTSGkoaNjxMKb9WYhfPQNG9Y_ftfAXhZC5hSHlAVqaQI-7lB2tMQp6Bo2bjkKPEwII78f62oeJ

y4mYZceT2iiY_dG2U56i2l3ltRSYgRveST0-fX7ghbwoJHo7sHnjitWTH0n0ajyJprW_uVM_P_hHoKRCC-G14gnROffcT0lD5PfdB96TpMIHEUfOL8VyZY_-_dFqNGgA-cR7Wwm1_mSsOONttBCJ1pQszRsZrnGe19MLXng61wtPGrPko6NCWSqtK870amPofK9

y4m3LRxcCYWN_9ScA4TKrtSPUaLMmOvzf6tfVXj8CvTr1UVECBubf-7zcX-pKxLU0FTAVcc5LhaOq2AjA-6Zqka65DkRq09dSWXo_c-gm3uzBl0G2AJ-Qwz8p5sCkapXws-1X6E_wX4fLZzmJz622QEExHD0JzkCKVT_Kf1PzlQ7HAbdJsbI3W2KNWq5zaroB_3

y4mMzqa-_ftqeXEl3yEllCM-fccCytjDuBh75xCJReUG8m9LOAbbKA2o_11elA_8xGlQ0OOhrXaqf-wu4ucHBCKKs-DTirW-ctQJ9LOSMyJbP9dch4uB_yVvtw7YcFUZegQkOxtw2vaePj1LYVFgixZwGVctCa96GRhnX694d9GiQ6K-GdWMCI1aiounUEhSlQa

So this brings it to where it is right now.

You will see some odd gaps need the edge of the room on the ceiling, I can't get PIR in there so plan to put some rockwool or similar in there (Knauf Insulation Earthwool Dritherm Cavity Slab 32 Ultimate 100 x 455mm x 1.2m | Wickes.co.uk) Will I need to foil tape over the Rockwool?

Next stages:
  • Vapour Barrier - Although over the top as I've been foil taping, I've got a Vapour barrier on a roll, so will fit this next over the top to make ultra sure I wont get any damp/moisture issues. I'll affix this with a Wacker tacker or a staple gun.
  • Counter Battens - These will be nailed/screwed on top of the CLS to give me a service void for cables in between the plasterboard and the insulation.
  • Electrics - Been waiting a few weeks for an electrician to come over and assess/do first fix. He's busy so I'll wait a bit more before chasing
  • Plasterboard
  • Electrics - Second fix
  • Tape and join
  • Fit door lining and door
  • Skirting board/architrave/coving
I still need to fully think out how I want the room. Currently I'm thinking of having a electric desk on the left (opposite side to window). This will help me decide on socket positions.

Also need to consider:
  • Heating - Should I go for electric under floor or just a wall mounted panel heater? Either way I want it to be Wi-Fi connected so I can operate it remotely/set a schedule
  • Flooring - Should I go for wood or carpet?
  • Lighting - Considering downlights, or should I look at alternatives?
Any feedback/questions welcome!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure if anyone is still reading this/interested in progress but will add an update for my own sanity:

Next on the list was putting up the Vapour barrier, which qas a fairly quick job with a wacker tacker & staples. I also filled the small voids at the edge of the room with loft roll/rock wool cavity insulation.

y4mCV7q6u-uJ3KqCkK9CiAEjp13C6zuO30sScoLOxH_rCbz_4KYDmpH0GFdxbYUO2B2Ftc7ztzD1zXVUU5j2I6SGcR2GAqKftL5QaxvOpg4awbHntCuorIt3F10iOyZk-FRg_opBOXYefgOiEHQq5Dq4yda_kkh2vgsePiDoPfA89oPAscyLAlNoJLHQhikalEw

y4mnJfYQHGwz3EmXcwolpMUjwCUljmpvd7hIzkVInMg9c3WFxoH4a98HDQGuNU06nbKkldR-qpJ3f-QgiCRNGQUnhjxQVT3-3rvvlOHk6KGsxZGI5yIfgr-lWkxLYstct_EMIDM1BNjMTIRX6LSHQ4PNYtui3_WjTlUWZpvp44GxmiAMwrFPxhx4oOqArV0VpEo

The next stage was to install the counter battens to give a service void for cables and attach the plasterboard to:

y4msTtnZl-C4hNyIF7z81f_-huKlV4lkLKEojz-jzPQ_-da3__97nnCbzwFY8lnLYaylqgt58iGyeS382e3X1cQiDh2GLOKUAFlKdCOT4Ed_Nb9ZGUFLpTZFtIWEHo85FT61oYludOmIsh-YxrmwkYO14B3laXPpIU9WvFJPt0P6yduTh-QNcsiqlrOTqDRlhD3

y4mxTkJaT7bM7Ie9qmETshJ1HpmujqcSSiS5rkV9hWdVIrYzx2thCI6DYoBu-qmvPxF60DykyiRRKR6W0Bv16nc9W07A2rWPJ7TIivWbewqvh2y6VyyHhljpV4l2U0E00NUOTBYhUvzxJpTi1Cxbip3UezjwveFVZY7DN1ewSlmNZaDe3isOY_Lz4YjjtmhdPXS

y4mZHskpLqVTt_Hg8PvYCuBaootMFs8urhRVkUjmSKnmOU-GEwDIV_L2G2Jpy5Z5GIJqhJAgYMAEqRNbj894mOZKLOQ78yclXEvQLFwt8qNG3IBblnm2yEz6lk-l5w0EKypPAhsh8c-VTsGCVmemtVhbmC__dZGE9SfWt9ekHk-5zUDvehR-xOZ7KNhuLcOJdiR

y4m5Csy9ZonlUV3EwdnnVfyNjN92Bn3MO5QPWAAcdT279Fq3IM3d9lYJ86yPh_2vfcAklKbl9AjCHCu_Y2IxXxtnaWfljpT0tOqrZjPqBijsHj6y2sLVcyD1hrFvraIjTyX8fj_t3l72YSVz5pGUvTX-ngVTHMAnbyGajrohe9ZcRJn_-o3y3k7bpPfhHfU2omN

y4m5yvjmJiaww2lTQX9jZLTvl6ZgKEAp2d47Jg8HYIhLAVOMhAKjUIiBxde0nR5Fc_TWZx9kSKThclEKiTg_r7fay7QBqLnV8SVfBZ2M6NopnU77vgp5QtqwN63b8bBTkwTJUMC0b3rasHZ0IBzJFzDIgLAqCyVmZZa67vmdaKO0C9tisja7yOuUgvwHcf7rBlc

y4mps0KGojUsNv02MvsWBTYlW2sbbVBUnLF1HztnfZZdjWULTg9KLNyizc1BTbpXdBMu2EAoVRvP0_3ePRCCed_yY6No0EEL5KqihGvGgTvuJIJN4dCij3ZxPa-m7CVbvgZi-I4_Yd0KnzBqCsspMVPyU9oalIVMM-2r-POZZ5zp3UyUSKdzCqFsMmDHdpwLZiD

I then contacted my electrician and got him to do the first fix electrics. When he arrived I still hadn't fully decided how I wanted the room laid out, but made it up quickly and should hopefully have enough.

I've got cabling for:
  • 4x LED Downlights (these will be dimmable)
  • 4x Double Sockets (2x on desk side, and 2x below window)
  • 1x Single socket for a TV above Desk area (opposite wall to window)
  • 1x Single socket on large back wall for panel heater (will be a Wi-Fi controlled heater so I can turn it on/off remotely/on a schedule)
The hole removed for the downlights from the insulation is quite large and will obviously break my vapour barrier. Agreed they will put some Rockwool on top of light to aid insulation but still disappointing (is this normal?!)

y4mYrSHQYkzcjRpSp6PkE63Wj5pyOt4ymlm9fN3cHzm8Cwo7jIiUO0Y-GYNeiAyo13PUbZ0jaGRnh8Vd_iAwFK1ZldS8D2Nm56pDi6hv9kKxQGJFzMEJBWpNA1EYv2NSRcLKYYlSJzTGc39JC-AWCY5_WWEHQ1u3ewIPPIvkxz24pd2c8xZ3l9aIW49lIpEVncF

y4mtS8KrsIKTko-6gy2WuDyD9aVyWuwCyJTH20yMSC81zuI002n3cAmecxI2X5dLHsGq_IyyZuYCDqVxWiMhuE1mkNdg-rLyPhaUzzskZG143DKNvQhYILAMRPP2GiYr9ArHQ0gfxUaZ33KNxiySv6twBIQWAEP0xKv1Zwc2abrR22i1Qodv8vXWKLnjwbSfRKQ

y4mrPkCVSAM5s7dgpzutSuFZUnkNf-SUk924EHsra6ut55Ip6tnxNY1QfBlD7sFQr6gdPDi3YXzOTGzuQvT5PgoaRK2Zu-6wV-qiS60HFVc4VO-wtdwwHZxNH-XYL9UkDw7mue4qgPsrZxT2bLGpTMYz5_wKkL8FWonNNuyLFd3rnxuGIx6ysneBACK_ntU7cGs

y4mkRT804i_4qZiEhka5004fi8xmG4TF5RY3QbqycWUc0xx9ZNDk-hAGnjnWgmbwGJN9g1ZtbQa45CZ-rcRptT9ju_FVH0lPIr8qPpEOQ0uCYKNbBNxfA7EhRhcBF6LKGdOwdzBwdNy6feaALegyew9GLxBZ8eC9UwmqE3kBRg86PpKFkuHkhTV7h0WhL33xzxT

y4mUlt4s8fPWyEsfptSR2nOx8Xp0i3uOSMDlHWvr3nWaONvbNEbz8WdRzNsD0ot2WtWNpa1Smij48UosiP6rf-fz8j2k5WrQyH9YsqkyxIYD4VjB4sSzcgDVGEYsJbk9fs06d5tV_vkRwhREN10rBppPY88T-IaJHCqMwTMRzVQ6soj22-CpxzXTWnJmj_4rLnm

y4mwqsjCf5c8iYfKf6sTym1JfwX-DtyR0v8fVttT-fO-CR53BnZlEnoUGRkgBSt8xSJ_tn0qTFgpWIgR6BrFMZtFwZvFZbYHsAeSPjAhJ8vE8do73TTomxMHmFwiUG1pwaWGuBTHyxDjIj_FRXOWdf72LSaT5ijkmMtWI2I9eD5cmebOu3eYjhGIW4C3BSamO47

y4mmmEvvvBXEuP70d2m-zQzqM-kaNgTi_jPJugrlGTqeRhTAGRnGdmGXGbmej5-oM7cPwV05H0n7UMku277eu7VhtQBvZ6zbdjG_DQ8XB0GIUAoKoa_nSVpGbF_esCfNml5vB_NSRkypwWcBOiOApuI-2WyFUH_5k7eM72XTBhe05Bkfrd1YZ3gSQ383FIajiDD

y4mX_ADJJ1_QEZvvVJlYPgpb9tUAH1MAe3k2r51bF6_WjrzCffOzluD2fL8ZtdulCxZNhgo85kgCNhKxVDo6FSsP89R3JSqnsGdU8Hwiy_Y_07TD4q-8idkLs86v-VLLGtSlppx3kY-59g71AFbKOkujTwfE7PCCO4zEjia3DPW2Gt5MsctdmOvNHV7JwzuDwT4

y4mFBf4UCC2YSEr9BFc4yLQGyXb4B_KIyUvo2uR7YktSlnNKdVznwpO9JcqkMHoW_MEijQOwWAqnJ8J80KDUgIU1A_LYFWeE3C-EAdKa44MrjK00aJI9Vpdgy_-nyih-md644l3O_Df8_gq18_Z7knP2k5HlHFjKupsDP6pqe8Wv2Fb42urmaSPq_dc09WiSz9R

y4m8KNbCnBeBP-ToBvm4HhQm0W_IyEs6uBRNstgsUBlvmB_2l2tCcz7Uyo2wruFUYeXFHQAASQR1A97SjhUA8-OQDTxyacwfoxnC3B9_sKg_LTSAdyzB_7ZyP3rf1q_cKiX8szLpMELgOHa1NCTknxHC-3WTwdnZgXQI3lRhmPlfGacLsHrqLEwlhDm4QrWxE_Q

So that's where I currently am up to. I now need to consider network. I want to have Ethernet and Wifi out here. I haven't done anything like that before, but suspect I will dig a trench from the side of my house to the workshop in my garden and bury some ethernet cables in some conduit. Once inside the workshop I'll need to run them to the office part and decide if I want wall sockets/switch/etc. From memory I've got a Wireless AP but is PoE so will need a PoE switch as I doubt my EE Home Hub will offer that!

To do list:
  • Finish Alliminium taping.
  • Run Ethernet cables
  • Plasterboard
  • Electrics - Second fix
  • Tape and join
  • Paint walls (White)
  • Decide on what flooring to go for
  • Order/fit panel heater
  • Fit door lining and door
  • Skirting board/architrave/coving
Getting there but struggle to find time to do it!

Any feedback/questions welcome.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for this thread, providing some really useful tips and guidance!

We're going to be looking to do something similar to our single block outbuilding, to allow us to install a shower and toilet in it and it not be riddled with damp and mould - first steps for us will be a new roof given that it's currently got a corrugated asbestos roof!

We've got a pal who's a carpenter who should be able to do the majority of the works for us at mates rates hopefully :)

No worries, its a bit daunting when starting if you like to get things right and are picky like me. If it's single block make sure the roof is 100% as you said. Would also recommend rendering the outside walls if you can. Then when building inside the garage, give yourself a 50mm air gape off the wall to your wall studs. Then if any moisture does penetrate your walls, it wont bridge across to the stud wall/insulation/plasterboard/etc. Good luck!

Soldato
OP
Great work, thanks for posting :)

No probs.

Nice efforts, I love plooking at projects like this, seeing the amount of effort that goes in to something you'll never see.
With regards to the AP, you could always get a POE injector if you didn't want to put a POE switch in, obviously if you need a switch then great, but that might be another option.

OK so the initial plan was to just run a couple of cables up to the garage and/or use Powerline Adapters.

But with a week to think about it, I've had some major scope creep...

So I'm now essentially going to:
  • Run 2x CAT6 Cables from the House/Router to my garage and terminate into patch panel which will be housed in a mini comms cabinet
  • Run CAT6 Cabling to 1x 4 Port CAT6 face plate where my desk will be, 1x Wireless AP on the ceiling and 1x 2 port CAT6 face plate to the wall under the window & terminate in patch panel
  • Install Mini Comms cabinet on wall with patch panel and a 24 port PoE switch
  • Fit Ruckus PoE AP on ceiling/wall
I've already purchased pretty much everything and its been delivered:
I've got a Ruckus AP and a 24 port PoE Cisco switch which I can utilise with it. I'm probably going to get some normal CAT6 cabling for the socket wiring in the office room as the external stuff is super thick and wont be very easy to work with for that.
So yeah, I've gone way over the top as usual but hopefully it should be sufficient once finished and future proofed for a bit.

My priority for this weekend is to get the internal CAT6 wiring done in the office room so it wont hold me up plaster boarding the room.

Soldato
OP
Better off going that route than regretting it later. Oh, label the cables when running them, with something super sticky, don’t rely on a sharpie. Sharpies don’t last very long on car 6 cable and it’s really annoying trying to identify which cable is which when you’ve flooded the house with them (this might be the voice of someone that has done that)

Very true, I've always been a firm believer in that, hence why I am running 2x cables from the house outside up to the garage. 1x for redundant/spare or maybe it could be used to double the uplink bandwidth? Not sure on that, my network cabling knowledge isn't the best. Yep, will label them properly, I've unfortunately not got a DYNAMO at home, so will have to think of something better.

Soldato
OP
Oh, also run more cable than you need. If you think you need one network point, double it. It’s cheaper to do all of that now than try later.

Yea, I have thought that. So for my 4x port face plate I was going to run 6 cables to it, or 5x cables and some draw string back to the patch panel. Will run 2x to the AP and 4x to the 2x port face plate.

Soldato
OP
You could do that, would depend on what’s at the other end as it would have to support port aggregation otherwise you’d end up with ports being shut down to prevent loops.
I don’t focus much on small networking stuff apart from personal use, I’m more used to dealing with big enterprise stuff, but I’m happy to offer pointers and will try not to confuse you!

You need a Dymo labeller, life is so much more complete with labels.

If you’re running the cables, just patch them! Otherwise they’ll be stuck in the wall forever!

Yeah, I've done a fair bit of Enterprise stuff, but its mainly switch/firewall config/VLAN's and cabling has only been patching patch panels to switches/desks, not done any faceplates or terminating before, but can't be that difficult. I doubt my EE Homehub supports port aggregation, so will just patch it and label it as a spare for now on the patch panel.

Haha, I'll maybe look at them on Amazon now and tempt myself with one. Will send my OCD into overdrive having the ability to label stuff though!

So for the cables, I'll run them but leave them behind the face plate. The face plate will only have 4x ports, but will run some for redundancy in case any of the x4 fail.

Soldato
OP
I had some time on Saturday afternoon so I decided to get the network cabling done. Having not done this sort of cable running before, it was a but trial and error, but got into the swing eventually.

I've run:
  • 5x Cables to left hand side wall where my desk will be (4x ports on face plate, 1x spare I'm hoping I can leave behind face plate in case of any issues in the futute)
  • 2x Cables to middle of ceiling where POE Wireless AP will be fitted (1x for AP and 1x spare)
  • 2x Cables to right hand side wall in case I want to put another desk there
I also finished foil taping the ceiling and sealed around the vapour barrier.

4x Ports where my desk will be:
y4md2dyzLLoWcaeTgqlnLA8Zg10vyd5t8pG7IhcdnSjpF3pr5zLFiJrJYUJqW_TwJ2Y2WpaeG7JSuCX2jQYDEYIu8Vgm78xCpNDvh2-gfmH1AfnMYrJd2-OKOiaOx4MP_0z_IJ3g05OGmmUnrLfp021mJMXk1f6WZHrfYCBtj5p81H6ecYvG__6dH62IcJlbaEa

Trimmed the excessive ends (hopefully I've left enough!)

y4mYWOb8r0aM9HdoKQ_V_gEir7WjQh1JUBJFAVzAESbot8zj0tl8df5bURI08NBGKZT0jX_wFy1Rm8bP70MDLkNcwGuquTnfiLk5EH-ss5wIoARBTynxFnm0RYubfzcD_OUFnGr4cdluvCOETTLy97EBxKOzDnfrDuzBQF_Qf0DPR2IzNtjCkA7gdVss2_CImVe

2x Cables for the AP:
y4m4E7SF8ZY9iSQsN8HGY4D17PaRsAILEpY2n3ks8ColBqLzOuV1jnbgQGc-R-k7pVeolhAbxHQPzO1yKpZcReU_9JWhZ_iC2rNXfddyjtJKaTaZxA5TdZHzXp-CiIN8Czw7FZk-XO9Hk3KiOGhtaVYp5ZBkbKnN1Y57xzfCdOb5Ci7HgJW3lwGJQ9OyA7kbfjW

2x Ports to the right of the electric sockets (didn't run a spare to this port, hope I don't regret that!)
y4mp7sEHYtvICdEBHT49h1SgXYOhTSfB8PvTe8xgl2gfhMuchJoYqp8Zw1Ta9haBItmgVVz8P3asQyyv8qbyfIqJLRWoume3I3PcIZj_GAVAfgeliy4XVxcpDl9mi4SNlElF_Ai45YGxjtb1vu9qW4YOcIiMtXxuOwDaDtoK5zgiHt--9k2Io-_HKDUNztPfkXV

Foil Tape / Vapour Barrier complete:
y4m5zuZIPnImhCzuA4cZdt1xk-V2Sl7S3cD2KLeXRExILOkUux87RQhGgTQqefdF7G5G4SPB7xEXbEAAKJIMTPWdnnu5NZTDXKZT7zBfJNxkIQjhF6pOx4lyyK6lPEVSeQWTQQzFtA67FymzmB-ih69Om3x72-FpMeWjm_Yb22mF_BsJ4-CyyvxYTeGJhiOkjf9

Routed all cables to here which is where I plan to mount my Mini Comms cab and terminate the cables into a patch panel:
y4mSntWcxa1Y9Sq5w6ASGP-QNpk8g7gKdQyWhwhqMzURpZnLFTL0MwT1Jf2f7PVdViHcjKd00eY0R9Rx8twWTmu14cfOw36frIRIDsF0FqfFPP1-ZRicwbZtA2tWnglNUIMzODRtJABfL_XyU1BYucpkPViS_oYNyxb_86Lup7qJpoLKy_oY-K5YwtJeDzI4QHT

Luckily I labelled them with a Sharpie, but have taken @Chockymonster 's advice and have ordered a Dymo Label Maker to make this better/neater.

I'm ready for Plaster boarding now but would like to find a way to test the CAT6 Cables in situ without terminating them.

Apologies if I have made some mistakes with my network cabling. Keen to hear feedback if I've done this right or not so I can make improvements/changes before I plasterboard.

Soldato
OP
Do yourself a favour and unbundle the cat6 in the walls. If one is broken it will be impossible to pull it out and pull in a new one if they are bundled. If loose you at least have a chance tying a new one to end of old and just pulling it through.

I know it won’t look as neat now but it will be covered anyway.

Thanks for the advice, good idea, I had considered it but dismissed it. Will do that before I plasterboard. Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Honestly, given the routing of your cables, you have slim to no chance of redragging those cables in-situ. This is why we always recommend redundancy and over-installing the number of cables that you may need. In fact you may actually damage other cables if you try to re-pull a non-functional cable as they pass through the same holes in your framing. Test everything before you close your walls up, that way you will know that it all works.

Hmm you're right. Worse case scenario is I have to make a small hole in the plasterboard and thread a new cable through which wouldn't be too bad as I'll be able to patch/fill and paint it. I have run spare cables to most sockets and have way more than I need anyway so I think I should be fine. It would be nice to test the cables but I doubt I'll have time before I Plasterboard. I'll also have a Wireless AP (with 2x cables run) for extra resilience.

Sorry to potential derail the thread, but there is there any reason you couldn't have used something like this on the floor and walls instead of a sheet based DPM?

https://ardex.co.uk/product/liquid-waterproof-membrane/

I'm thinking I'll coat our single block outhouse in this, then pour roughly 35mm of self leveller over the lot, so we can affix base plates when installing the stud walls.

Yep, potentially that is an option I could have considered, but I've not head any leaks. My garage is also rendered on the right hand side, rear and front (left hand side is right up against fence so this wasn't done.). However, I've done the DPM and also spaced my studs off of the wall if there are any leaks so hopefully I should be OK.

Soldato
OP
Got the plasterboard up last night. My brother came over to help and has some great time saving tools to make it much quicker (Board floor lifter, magazined Plasterboard drill/driver & a Plasterboard Router). We started at 4:00pm and finished at about 8:00pm so not too bad going as we finished everything including the window reveals.

Did the Ceiling first so the wall boards support it around the edges. First Board in place:
y4m3yqk5acQHLNb8ec7CHa1FSQIDwT62TIO4gjgVkG68J3I7hlDQuKBdOVfl2q3bATm5kezzlQ9o0jxRz0Sz3qUhI7dtVvu_blAxG6evTMkkZ59nxez_8eRg23dWICTv2i6I45bfKKsPIZ5Lg_ualuzVh-SLTNXy77WL3ZThRCQGfccoCyn7FnOV2yh8Nx35-kN

Progress:
y4maD_WopRPGyNyh9ZMz8MbegzOVyd1GA2ufFphP4-UqzB_bG8Z7cavhB83VLAnWufdrPbDtdtKNvTTof_ILOi-QoveBmzum2T_bhpvmNS2OAjGtz9X0suByxvBPZaSWSlhKvvIrWEllKaQioPvPf0lxvLyKOoMUM-uKm15PAgRdKcF-DAUUasALPjGpeJWsucB

Ceiling done, onto the walls:
y4mW_nAblKs3Yno_7rLFn10mwWws9CpfvlbcxA9Zpt8cxkFcKAOlevrAwHp0JjdGpit9KjeXeZeqQ4svMz3nfdRj3AO0bBE36bROezyKK3xCsGicDVK2xoT7acKiz2cG0Jv1AXrretdCvm3AoVQ5SCLrLT99oMFyizwB6CTkqMdRCzNKwlUa_aaVGYpVPNr4Xil

y4mGA9DFfd6rKGU8HH44QosynJSf7W-XV5pqER5so00oZxgt94JtJIF10nm62l2XcxE60dQ30c3ttNq5mDUlh-ERnS_KrDmNfuSmxEL-rB-AjS5WqqvIw5dZ4Dg23cZjq_29W6DRlVhq-wvSWcMaq7ZT00UV-KntExLecpBjo5sXNSXFiqneV5IArvmmSkW9BAd

y4m1GfgAG3cmupbsP7pglryLZZ-RU7fj60yu6ESJAYHj-ZBjatIOWcewMIh8FNqd3AfrqCTZ0D-Jx8gCLO90WMK97Vm3gyt-nGcCYGBbcmPgybVPm9_8TzvUQ2evnn43_Xd-NpGpy6Vj3Xw7BkCkqOuBLQWAEQIHPB5sOx9AfCc7Ps9xodscDq-U895I7mDgIZC

y4m3c-eFaC-zN23DuIMKe3P3d-ORht4D-eRUANUa2d6an7YGpbbVjrtbABIbyBeaEWNkMKNoSVvcQFTwFDDQEnda6iX5Ba2uG4joC9zgzxfw0vRy3QcQeXTZnVQU77ZKILNjY7rJBqQ5o8T58Adc60Pf3-pTpNf2Ze4c8X5YUn1yt08P-T0P8ALWmkv-JDXow9K

y4mippT2xu84DM4JocYsOyRO7hC3xVZL98rj1rnPZYF6-a1r7bIVwdpjVJwHwgHP70Ld4jQZvC_v82DR4cqix-GUpYc-3qbLskEFiCBUI-1apbDYujOyTZIhn13nRxjSO9HRaMVbHtuPrZexaTOIBeF1_Uq_ytOqecVNUtIHGdf4JA6xg9mBF2sSPORM8uX8mLp

y4mK_gtVPwSR1rGpJOQJ9x9ay59QZeFMvtChH4ue3HqirEYo5ASqCGZGJ8XizZsseFh2iqJbvcKR3TiePazyZ0MRDhLi4s8NjGfy0GmIX1BYk86CrMebgJg1AVA0wmy1x53xAIuNZbRX_0EFB3YyrBmpc2ipPZsuJnZJR1vfkf7Wyxbt6QtCR2FGRqDHcJn2WxM

y4m4pcfv8vRUatjTuG1pa3HHyAIXuSQGxNJA2808zD8K9XoP-lk_tT-G06sWYxfAahhI4HaKG7FEq9UE24frxVHtdPTduCifqvcBnjgP5dcM-aODv4Vv8wXZfkrK4pj3qZxPGwE6QadQgMPMTT71JaeYxXzeAqwlou_gimPtZLQAw50XR-EMzN7lrUkgm8BcolZ

y4mX7ajsDU3z18xDKjaGWSpFEI6p42jjL3LJI3B2WlAfDy7p9jzPsyBl4eqhD2rXT3hQRxym0kN35yAc-TVwjB9yjdkRm-IdUsLHdpPcQDclluBGKatRFWKCuqU0K72RyQZ-oKVZW5EpH1xaMjpHBY4S3VhVIGQKbhDfO_tqa9c4fCFBBLKDcH6tj_zCHY-GvRw

Closeup of a corner
y4mcFJ8hL-c1LV1VIOhKmZplvAfsaaS9V1z_q5byQ2aCfFucaSCMwtZdFWrmpYOhIMRsji0Y3QrxK7oAzSxs7aASXzaUivFrDkUDIx407CuB4W3dCMD3As3CsVry_NodKYb7pCJxHwdlbu0U3z9IFyD9ygXv1nKQVEHF4NKpi0Sxj7wNUfzj5_Wc2zhcL7ZBnl2

y4mObK1dJHfAgT5W0-Om-HXNKGRaghIm5vKABGViBZfsgPThUOHhPeTKtSBlJwX_GkIpKWywmk97lA66iw3EvnR6s5__0HYZkJvhbBYTfWvh_l64DCyS6oRz0npn0qtzEV_aeoPqF9a6KVNY0gm1eyskiWyjy-mqBjdUEhMrCJ3Ba3Ym8ItQzwJguORtXNvKDOx

y4m6io0T6_VRbvdCqvPtGl2VKk2LAFp7KUssfQ2UE3yVF80Y8Ace5YrqXMnf6FMCqCjhCKwwz6S5wWnc-EGXAiLcj3guo79T1EHLIenRg3OULOVaG1ZiFpYHwfH7-nTeWgvGixFhHJ7eTRCMWGjU3dxlfMRj_0jeu_hQ6U-r7Wks9hRZqBP1UzM-8kMMAn_Qzoh

Window reveal a bit messy, but will be tidied up and covered with a timber window board/sill:
y4mmgiqJb9pCUgw1Hz4DvTJVb2-2kJto30zTkUOotp43jq0bjPs0y3YS1t3bW9bHEHvzKYEleI3UDimuhDoKKOi0xsl5VSE9e1e37A6im1ah2b6o4zeG9pOsPoyV_QbT8M8yhmNTyTcClEyHxGXa6UGmYKfq70TRehNTkyPVNbTfeZrvOmBqCAAbNvSIhJfd_3A

y4mgJMc2nII7NZlkiHyIoaPriwRIGhY5sx0VCE9Cy7LJOen9Dq-JpOlYxMtOTZjvKmMcUjMKvH3cMeWMoYtCRRYxBwcHXHsvduMUaYxfhYQxQd5vQugvvA2lnCvYWOlUtXwhCHRMpZWn-DaL79AVUfda8IHDkeHB1bBa5Gt5G7xvqKL6yNfUsWrLjxY_eZOCiKv

Also took a couple more in some daylight this morning:
y4mT2nqfX_Jxz2Y90UkOxUG5aiv8MyhvtnLPl0zPF6sClnROxpmmdcv9qb20ViT6SijhP23r6MYrv6ujOO4U-P18NUzoIYpypdfhHS8uiCzUHdVuYhQLFu6RTe5OwaYd9ZAMr-f6vtewNnqmuX7_l205-hIve70P6XVqmz_kmeghT2l6KlNDJWeRxt9W8iPrMnr

y4m5Mk3ZPe2xGF_6uacbi6IpzjFMIi8LqZYZz5iZWEEvulcqp1PW8dUJguWVg186zvB3MwP_yqVOB7yIK9GkmmBywIuFZqSyG6jJLTErw7m3zLcAaRbYg7j1i712JqD-pMMroEHKNVApWqwMBYobUCC9oXXOwIIHp4fOGYgPJ4JOGVCEdeOSASlSpxyZYmnQ8NH

It was a bit of a mission to get it all done in one hit and a lot of dust/mess to clear up afterwards. The plasterboard dust seems to have engrained itself into the Chipboard flooring. Don't know if I'll try to work out how to remove that or just leave it as it will be covered!

So next it's on to Tape and Joining which one of my other brothers has offered to do as he's done a bit before and owes me a few favours. Will then Mist coat the room.

Now need to think about:

• Flooring - Considering Laminate/LVT/LFT/Vinyl - Which would work best with an office chair? I don't want to be changing it after a year due to it fading/wearing under the chair
  • Heating - Considering a Wi-Fi controlled heater but not many about that have positive reviews. Want to be able to turn it on, etc from the house before I go out to work in there.
  • Paint - Think I'll just go White
  • Skirting/Architrave - Again, white
  • Door lining & Door - Solid door (did consider windowed door but don't think it would be a nice view into a garage!
I'll then need to think about Desk, etc. I'm thinking I want a height adjustable sit/stand desk so both me and the Mrs can work at the desk. Will go as big as I can. Will also need to consider what else to put in there but still undecided on that and open to suggestions.

Comments/thoughts welcome.

Back
Top Bottom