Project "Paint it Black"

Man of Honour
OP
Wow, 1800W power draw - that's pretty insane. I dread to think what your electricity bill is given that you have a quad Titan rig and dual 690 system too if I recall correctly!

What fans are they that you replaced the standard chassis ones in the 900D with by the way? Are they the Corsair AF120's? I'm considering replacing the ones in my 900D with them, but I'll probably go with the low noise AP120's (think that's what they're called, can't remember now).

Yes they are the AF120's

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-004-CS&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=4

As to my elec bill, most of the time I just use the GTX 690s.

Man of Honour
OP
I missed this when trying to fit the mobo

u64x.jpg

The above was where the middle stand off for the mobo should have been. I think Corsair are trying to be helpful with this to help to locate the mobo but I found it to be a pain (I did not realise it was there for a few minutes) and changed it for a normal stand off.

Associate
Debated taking that out on mine, for all of a few seconds when it became apparent it was well screwed in so decided to leave it! Lot of 900D builds taking place atm, love it :D

Soldato
@Kaapstad - I was wondering if you could link me to a good guide for setting up dual-PSU in one rig or give me a quick crash course? I've struggled to find a recent and detailed guide.

My mining rig is pulling over 1300W from the wall on my 1300W SuperFlower PSU so I've bought myself a second PSU - an EVGA SuperNova 1000W and want to run both PSU's together.

Sorry to take your thread off topic :p

Soldato
@Kaapstad - I was wondering if you could link me to a good guide for setting up dual-PSU in one rig or give me a quick crash course? I've struggled to find a recent and detailed guide.

My mining rig is pulling over 1300W from the wall on my 1300W SuperFlower PSU so I've bought myself a second PSU - an EVGA SuperNova 1000W and want to run both PSU's together.

That PSU providing its the gold one is 1500W from the wall - 1300W PSU 87% efficiency, then you have the overloading ontop of that, you really do not need another PSU.

As for getting them to work in tandem...i've honestly not the foggiest :(

Soldato
That PSU providing its the gold one is 1500W from the wall - 1300W PSU 87% efficiency, then you have the overloading ontop of that, you really do not need another PSU.

As for getting them to work in tandem...i've honestly not the foggiest :(

You think?

It's currently pulling approximately 1370W without the third R9 290 plugged in - seems a lot? :o

Soldato
You think?

It's currently pulling approximately 1370W without the third R9 290 plugged in - seems a lot? :o

Didn't know the third 290 wasn't connected lol.
Adding it will work, because those units are good for a lot more than they claim, though not for 24\7 use...i cert wouldn't want to do it.

Having that PSU pulling 1370w 24/7 is fine though :D

Soldato
Didn't know the third 290 wasn't connected lol.
Adding it will work, because those units are good for a lot more than they claim, though not for 24\7 use...i cert wouldn't want to do it.

Having that PSU pulling 1370w 24/7 is fine though :D

Aye, once I have my last card in it'll be a beast! :)

The EVGA SuperNova should last me a while too so I can bung a few more cards on it.

Man of Honour
OP

This is the first time I am trying it myself. You need one of these in the pic below

phobya 24 pin 2 way psu starting cable

Plug both 24pin leads from the PSU into it and the other end into the mobo and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the first time I am trying it myself. You need one of these in the pic below

phobya 24 pin 2 way psu starting cable

Plug both 24pin leads from the PSU into it and the other end into the mobo and you are good to go.

That looks cool. As I'm looking to do it today, reckon I could get away with a paperclip? :p

Back
Top Bottom