Project "Paint it Black"

Man of Honour
OP
Pays off sometimes buying at launch :D

+1

I noticed that as well, if someone buys an IB-E now they are lucky to get 4.5 or 4.6ghz. At launch the IB-E CPUs were clocking better than they are now and the same with the 4770k Haswells.

I have also noticed this with the 290X GPUs, my Asus 290Xs all can do 1200/1630 or higher, the non reference ones coming onto the market now are not getting that high when overclocked. I must hurry up and get waterblocks on mine.:D

Soldato
Must say I've been a bit preoccupied so not looked at any non ref reviews. My ASUS card managed 1,150 / 1,625 looking at my Firestrike score but I don't think that was with any real voltage either

Soldato
My 290 will do 1215/1500 using the added 100Mv that AB provides. What's the likely hood it will scale with voltage if I flashed it with the Asus bios? Down side being I would have to use that Gpu Tweak tripe.

Soldato
lol, I hated GPU Tweak too. The sliders are absolute <profanity>. You'll most likely get more out of the memory. The ASUS cards are Elpida and still should easily hit 1600 with the right volts

Soldato
What used to get my goat up, was having to re-apply profiles every time I rebooted and the dog **** step ladder fan curve.

SD benchmark score updated btw Kaap!

Soldato
For your 4930k Kaap just go here http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/ and purchase the plan for it, cost works out at £15.80, superb if you get average clocker or below, just tell 'em it requires more voltage for stock speed(de-graded) and they will exchange it. You need to have had the plan for a month before you can claim.

Below is a sample test by RAJA and gives a very rough guide

Out of 45 tested:

1 sample managed 4.8GHz at 1.40V
9 samples managed 4.7GHz at 1.40V
21 samples managed 4.6GHz at 1.40V
13 samples managed 4.5GHz at 1.40V
1 sample managed 4.4GHz at 1.40V

Man of Honour
OP
And on with the block

80ir.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Only the one loop but with two huge MO-RA3 420 PRO - Black external rads. The first job though is to get the cards running on air together and then get the water blocks on them.

Man of Honour
Only the one loop but with two huge MO-RA3 420 PRO - Black external rads. The first job though is to get the cards running on air together and then get the water blocks on them.

I'm still undecided on my full blown cooling for this setup and have a temporary one in place. What pump and reservoir are you using?

Man of Honour
OP
Quick disconnects on the res I see. I was going to put them on my GPU bridge but might just leave one as a drain and that's it. They're handy but clunky.

They are a bit clunky yes.:D

There are another two on the ends of the tubing where they will connect to the external rads. This will give me the opportunity if needed to take the rads out of the loop and just drain/fill the CPU and GPU blocks if needed.

Associate
I have a 3930k, 3960X and a 3970X, the slowest is the 3970X which is good for 4.9ghz. When you compare these CPUs to their IB-E counterparts it is a bit of a non contest as what you lose on efficiency you more than make up for on higher overclocking headroom. With a multi GPU setup (3 or 4 cards) the one thing you need more than anything else is raw speed.

I have got a brand new 4930k CPU which I will try at some point but if it can not do at least 4.9ghz (not likely with IB-E) then it will only be good for benching one or two cards where efficiency is more important than raw speed.

You really should look at X79 or Haswell-E as it is not that much more expensive than what you have got now. If you were to go for a mainstream X79 mobo (you don't need everything a RIVE has) and a secondhand 3930k you could put together a very powerful system quite cheaply.

I see, it will be interesting seeing what kind of results you can pull with the 4930K then. And, indeed, I would seriously consider investing in an X79 and 3930K if I had the money at the moment - but I'll probably wait for X99 or whatever comes next instead before considering an Intel enthusiast processor build; it's something I definitely want to do at some point though.

Back
Top Bottom