Projector vs large TV - Bang for buck

Permabanned
Ear height sitting down is obv ideal but not practical in average living room but a dedi cinema room so its a happy medium.

My speakers are up in each corner (angled downward) where wall meets a 11ft ceiling as it would be ugly any other way.

Soldato
Must be missing something then. I am very happy with my 1080p picture on a 120" screen size.

In fact, I rip most of my movies to 720p to save hdd space (It's amazing how quickly 12TB fills up), and I am more than happy with that too. Although I'd usually watch the BR first in 1080p before ripping it.
Most movies are in letterbox format which is OK. Watching sky using full screen is just too big to my eyes

Man of Honour
Ear height sitting down is obv ideal but not practical in average living room but a dedi cinema room so its a happy medium.

My speakers are up in each corner (angled downward) where wall meets a 11ft ceiling as it would be ugly any other way.

Sadly not in a position any more to make use of a proper speaker setup - lot of viewing after people have gone to bed, etc. - mostly using HD600 headphones with surround reproduction and just some Edifiers when I do get a chance to use speakers.

Associate
I would never dream of replacing my main TV with a projector, too many compromises for day to day watching, hence why we have a dedicated cinema room for the projector.

A projector is an additional investment over and above a TV not a replacement imho.

At 11am the morning Sun is a position that pushes a lot of light through the blinds - it doesn't last long, but this is the time when I think "we need some curtains!"

Otherwise I'm happy using the projector for everything any time of day. We do not have a TV

Soldato
Sadly not in a position any more to make use of a proper speaker setup - lot of viewing after people have gone to bed, etc. - mostly using HD600 headphones with surround reproduction and just some Edifiers when I do get a chance to use speakers.
Wife takes the little one to visit grandparents every school holiday so I get to turn mine up then, only downside is I normally get wine aswell that makes me fall asleep

Soldato
You've banged on for 4 paged of this thread, we get that you think your projector is good - its still not a true native 4k projector.

HDR and WGC are the best part of the current UHD spec and with UHD Blu Ray, Digital files, Amazon and Netflix all supporting them anyone looking for 4k performance will want to use those features and the optoma offers an inferior presentation.
I am only go on about it as people like you have banged on for 4 pages about how it doesn’t have a true native 4k chip which is irrelevant. You and the others gave out false information on how it displays ½ the number of pixels in a native UHD image and that it gives out an inferior version of 4k both of which are not true. It displays full 4k which is all that matters.

As for HDR method it’s not completely inferior and a lot of people prefer it. It’s only a tiny bit behind the triple price projectors but you are trying to make out it’s massively behind and rubbish. Most people walking into a blind room not knowing before hand wouldn't even notice and would be impressed with how good it looks at 4k and HDR.

Last edited:
Associate
I am only go on about it as people like you have banged on for 4 pages about how it doesn’t have a true native 4k chip which is irrelevant. You and the others gave out false information on how it displays ½ the number of pixels in a native UHD image and that it gives out an inferior version of 4k both of which are not true. It displays full 4k which is all that matters.

As for HDR method it’s not completely inferior and a lot of people prefer it. It’s only a tiny bit behind the triple price projectors but you are trying to make out it’s massively behind and rubbish. Most people walking into a blind room not knowing before hand wouldn't even notice and would be impressed with how good it looks at 4k and HDR.

I had a look at JVC e-Shift..

http://usjvc.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=20&id=268&artlang=en

JVC e-Shift - Which are then alternately projected to the screen at 120Hz

isn't this just what you're saying the Optima is doing?

Man of Honour
that it gives out an inferior version of 4k both of which are not true.

That is kind of debatable AFAIK the method used will cause some softening/inaccuracy across pixel values despite reproducing the correct number of pixels which can be offset by increasing sharpness but that does also reduce the "fidelity" compared to the original source even though it will give you a "4K" image as rendered on the screen. For stuff like movies especially when few are mastered and compressed in a way that truly takes advantage of 4K type resolution it isn't a big deal but still.

I had a look at JVC e-Shift..

http://usjvc.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=20&id=268&artlang=en

JVC e-Shift - Which are then alternately projected to the screen at 120Hz

isn't this just what you're saying the Optima is doing?

Optoma uses a more advanced version of that type of technique - partly due to having a higher resolution grid to work from.

Associate

Still not a true native 4k projector, still doesnt have wide colour gamut, still has poor black levels, still exhibits rainbow effect and cant manage any type of HDR in anything like a reference mode. Its good for the money but is inferior to something think a JVC.

Soldato
Still not a true native 4k projector, still doesnt have wide colour gamut, still has poor black levels, still exhibits rainbow effect and cant manage any type of HDR in anything like a reference mode. Its good for the money but is inferior to something think a JVC.
As I said before why does that matter? Why does it matter that's its not a native 4k chip when it still displays a true 4k image? It handles HDR just fine and the blacks are not poor just not as good as some of the high end units. It does have a wide colour gamut in HDR mode. Just because its not as good as a £8000+ projector it doesn't means the image output is bad. It still produces a stunning looking image that is full 4k.

Associate
As I said before why does that matter? Why does it matter that's its not a native 4k chip when it still displays a true 4k image? It handles HDR just fine and the blacks are not poor just not as good as some of the high end units. It does have a wide colour gamut in HDR mode. Just because its not as good as a £8000+ projector it doesn't means the image output is bad. It still produces a stunning looking image that is full 4k.

It matters that a spade should be called and spade. Point blank factual its not true native 4k.

Point blank factual its doest support wide colour gamut only REC709

Its blacks and HDR performance are poor and it's outperformed by £4000 projectors.

Last edited:
Soldato
It matters that a spade should be called and spade. Point blank factual its not true native 4k.

Point blank factual its doest support wide colour gamut only REC709

Its blacks and HDR performance are poor and it's outperformed by £4000 projectors.
Point blank factual it displays the entire 4k image, is a 4k projector and meets the 4k standard. It displays 80% of the wide colour gamut which is close enough that few people will notice. HDR looks great and like many people I prefer it as its not over extreme like some other devices.

Anyway derailed the thread enough now, not posting more on this.

Associate
Point blank factual it displays the entire 4k image, is a 4k projector and meets the 4k standard. It displays 80% of the wide colour gamut which is close enough that few people will notice. HDR looks great and like many people I prefer it as its not over extreme like some other devices.

Anyway derailed the thread enough now, not posting more on this.

Great, its still not a native 4k project, its still Rec709 not Rec 2020 so not WGC general reviews and owners threads point to typical poor black levels and inferior HDR but thanks for trying to mislead people on the thread.

Soldato
Great, its still not a native 4k project, its still Rec709 not Rec 2020 so not WGC general reviews and owners threads point to typical poor black levels and inferior HDR but thanks for trying to mislead people on the thread.
Well I am not posting anymore on the projector but I will defend myself. I never mislead anyone all I did was correct the false information you and others posted. You’re the one who is badly misleading people with your native rubbish which doesn't matter and other false facts you posted.

Associate
Well I am not posting anymore on the projector but I will defend myself. I never mislead anyone all I did was correct the false information you and others posted. You’re the one who is badly misleading people with your native rubbish which doesn't matter and other false facts you posted.

Keep lying to yourself because no one else on this thread is buying your information.

Soldato
Keep lying to yourself because no one else on this thread is buying your information.
The evidence is on my side just look at your posts 61 & 65 which are not true. Anyone who reads up on the subject will see I am telling the truth and you posted false information. Anyway this is derailing the thread as well so I better stop before we ruin it more.

Back
Top Bottom