Proposed retirement of StompMonster

Associate
joeyjojo said:
Missed the thumb, noob :p

Or was it so subtle nobody noticed. I knew it was subtle, but not that subtle surely? :D

lol

So Subtle nobody noticed :p

Anyway, can anyone make a rough estimate on how many watts Stompy requires I may be able to rehome him.

Soldato
I have an xp 2500+ rig which I measured the power of the other day. It was pulling about 170W under load at 2.4 ish GHz. At stock it was something like 140-150 load. The clocks on stompy are less (only a 1600+) so I would estimate maybe 120-140W folding load?

Measured on a gigabyte ga-7n400l, 2x 512meg memory, 1x 80gb drive, cdrom etc.

Associate
OP
There were also another 9 or 10 layers that were never adopted by anyone.

I believe these are still gathering dust at OcUK HQ.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the dodgy node at present. Possibly a dying HD or PSU, but I've not had time to check it out recently. It's probably salvageable though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Stomp.jpg

Look familiar? Yes? Thought it might. I thought I'd make it nice and big to do it justice. :D

It's not a stompy layer, but it's built to the same spec (PC Chips 841, XP1700+, original HSF (still working)) - except the RAM, which I replaced with something a little better (namely Corsair XL). While it had no overclocking potential, it did like tight SPD timings. This means that what follows will be slightly better than Stompy actually achieved. Also, this one was running Linux. Sadly, while it still works just fine, it's no longer cost effective, so it was retired from service four days ago, to rest in peace alongside Stompy.

Power consumption: 110W (measured)
Frame (1%) time, p1496: 114 min

For comparison, E6600 at stock everything, with PC6400C4 RAM:

Frame (1%) time, p1496: 24 min (x2 workunits)

So, one E6600 is equivalent to approximately 9 stompmonster layers. Overclock it, and you'll probably get that up to 12-15.

Such is the results of Moore's Law.

I think, due to the terms of the lease, the Stompmonster probably has to go back to OcUK, so it's probably worth contacting one of the OcUK Dons to sort out the final deal.

PS - Should anyone want a layer, for productive use, I'm willing to shove mine in the spare parts sticky once the E6600 has proven itself. It'll arrive as seen. I might be able to salvage the parts needed to make it a full system from my spares, but that won't include the Corsair RAM. :)

PPS - the frame time on this board is actually better than one of my P4 systems. I'm getting a shockingly bad 235min/frame (117min equivalent) there. :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
The only reason I was thinking of possibly re-homing Stompy is because a certain garden centre just up the road owned by one Paul Cooling who I'm a close friend of, is having a very large wind turbine put up as long no one around the 16 acres objects.

Thus I suspect this one wind turbine would power not only a 16 acre energy efficient garden centre but probably several full Stompy's as well.

It was just a possibility considering it wouldn't actually cost anything to run anymore consequently negating the awful lack of efficiency.

The other option would be to make a Stompy Mk II and I could inquire as to whether Paul would mind running it to benefit mankind by putting his otherwise wasted wind power to good use [Read: Folding] :D

Last edited:
Soldato
oceaness said:
The other option would be to make a Stompy Mk II and I could inquire as to whether Paul would mind running it to benefit mankind by putting his otherwise wasted wind power to good use [Read: Folding] :D

It wouldn't be wasted - but sold back into the national grid (at ~2p a Kwh). But because it's all private now they buy electric at less that they sell it back to you (unlike france with buys sustainable power at 20p a Kwh)
In other words its better ecomony to use it on site that sell excess.

But make sure who ever is organising the grant gets the application in 9am on the 1st of the month - this months funding budget was used up in a few hours :eek: (previous month it ran out in a week)

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
Central goverment offer grants see here and here
But this months funding has already been used up.
Environmental groups are having a go at the government for having so little money set aside for these grants. I think it's Greenpeace who were saying it should be many times what it is now, in order to get things really moving.

Associate
what about solar?
my thaught was to take a UPS, modify it so it has an external battery hookup... extra runtime bats (car bats) and then hook in a small wind/solar/whatever generators to keep the bateries up....

Not exactly 100% eficient, but still saves on the bills....

I'm infavour of bringing back stompy or stompy2.... we gotta have a stompy...

Soldato
yoda said:
what about solar?
my thaught was to take a UPS, modify it so it has an external battery hookup... extra runtime bats (car bats) and then hook in a small wind/solar/whatever generators to keep the bateries up....

Not exactly 100% eficient, but still saves on the bills....

Solar photovoltic are not really cost effective without a goverment grant - and even with have a 15-17 year payback on capital costs.

Solar water heater are very cost effective with a payback of under 5years at worst. Can't help run a pc but will cut water heating part of fuel bill.

Small scale wind turbines.... lots of conflicting information about the sub .5kw ones (aka smaller that a satalite dish) personally think they are in the 10-12 year payback bracket (inc grant) at present but this should improve as more are sold.
Larger ones - 5 to 15kw are very cost effective with 3-7year payback (quickest for the larger ones) but all require planning permission and do make noise equilivant to a background road noise.

Battery are an option but you need lots to make it work when wind drops/night ~50+

Best advise is use power at source don't sell it to grid (they will rip you off unless you join a local small power collective - thereby selling more Kwatt)

Soldato
What spec would a new Stompy have?

The lower-end C2Ds are cheap and will be getting cheaper this month. Cheap boards are available which will run them on DDR or DDR2 RAM. The only obstacle is the high FSB required to clock them to a decent level.

Associate
Mattus said:
What spec would a new Stompy have?

The lower-end C2Ds are cheap and will be getting cheaper this month. Cheap boards are available which will run them on DDR or DDR2 RAM. The only obstacle is the high FSB required to clock them to a decent level.

Lol OcUK could perform some serious stompage with a small C2D Stompy Mk II :D

Associate
I wouldn't mind donating towards such a noble cause :p

Together OcUK will save the human races from disease :D

As always there are the two same old problems and that would be the location and power consumption :o

As I mentioned earlier I could inquire as to whether Paul Cooling would like to play host seeing as it wouldn't actually cost him anything to run, and it is of course a worth cause.

I'm also looking at getting a smaller wind turbine so I could always host it here but that would be a fair way off as it requires surveying and planning permission.

Back
Top Bottom