PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

IMO Right now the specs of psvr2 put it beyond anything PCVR headsets can offer (even with a high end gpu) but that may change by the time it’s released!
Yeah it's a step beyond anything currently for sure! Could be that the index 2 and other future pc VR headsets are at least as good and obviously getting a beefy pc with the next gen gpus will push graphics/performance further. However all these aspects are up in the air regarding price and release date and all that is likely to be very expensive. The psvr 2 is probably going to be reasonably priced (£350 - £400 max hopefully) and will be comparable at least with great software.

The psvr 2 is probably going to be reasonably priced (£350 - £400 max hopefully)

If the specs are true, I can't see how it would be that price. 120hz OLED panels are very expensive to get right. I think it will be £499 and even at that they will be selling at a loss.

I think Melmac has it right. I can't see it selling for less than £499. That makes it £1000 for PSVR2 if you don't have a PS5, and try getting hold of a PS5...

One thing Oculus has got right is the hardware is cheap and readily available in lots of different retailers, including high street ones.

If the specs are true, I can't see how it would be that price. 120hz OLED panels are very expensive to get right. I think it will be £499 and even at that they will be selling at a loss.
Hmm while probably true in theory I don't think Sony will sell the headset for more than the disc version of the console, which is £450. I just don't see it being higher than that personally. Maybe being too optimistic but I think they'll take a loss in hardware hoping to make up for it in sales of software.
I don't believe the digital ps5 can not be selling at a loss as they are driving all sales through their digital store. And a lot of vr games are Digital only, not all but a lot are.
I might be being optimistic and hopeful but I think Sony will be wanting to price it realistically for most people and be somewhat competitive with the Quest 2 even if they are different markets.

I don't I think Sony will be wanting to price it realistically for most people and be somewhat competitive with the Quest 2 even if they are different markets.

I’d agree. It’ll be £400 at most IMO as Sony need it to be priced competitively against the Meta Quest 2. The 3rd generation Quest headset might be out around the same time as psvr2!

New PSVR2 details and high resolution screenshots in the latest copy of Play magazine

Click on the images to view in high resolution

To be fair, wireless VR is much more tempramental to setup compared to a wire. You have all the issues with wifi congestion, and the signal propagation being affected by walls, microwaves (seriously - they can cause issues), and other factors.
A wire is much simpler by comparison, just plug it in.

Yeah, wireless would be nice but there are a lot of advantages going for a cabled option.

lighter headset
No battery needed
Better image quality
No risk of connectivity/interference issues
Lower priced headset

Plus with it being a console it’s far easier to pick up and move around the house/elsewhere than a PC if I want to find a larger play area.

Some PSVR2 games will be shown off tomorrow.

We do have some leaks

For example, the new call of duty game have a vr mode that's exclusive to PSVR2. And we've had leaks of the Horizon game, the game was already announced and we saw gameplay footage but since the original announcement the game has gotten a significant graphics upgrade

The horizon vr game already looked pretty decent now it's looks awesome for a VR game

Footage from original announcement on the left and footage of the game now on the right

Some PSVR2 games will be shown off tomorrow.

We do have some leaks

For example, the new call of duty game have a vr mode that's exclusive to PSVR2. And we've had leaks of the Horizon game, the game was already announced and we saw gameplay footage but since the original announcement the game has gotten a significant graphics upgrade

The horizon vr game already looked pretty decent now it's looks awesome for a VR game

Footage from original announcement on the left and footage of the game now on the right

The clip really does look incredible!! And with an oled, hdr screen at high resolutions with the sense of scale you get from vr this moment should hit hard.
I don't think you can get such a massive visual upgrade from just extra dev time, especially with not that much time. I reckon this has something to with utilizing some image reconstruction technique like Fsr maybe?

Looking good, I hated the web of wires in the original so I think I can live with 1wire.

Was there an estimated price in that, never saw it.

Back
Top Bottom