PS(PC)VR 2, anyone interested?

I doubt it will be pc compatible, psvr1 never was.
I'm not particularly excited by it right now, the specs/features aren't (imo) groundbreaking, but i can see the appeal to some. It's vr without the need for an expensive pc and the headset itself probably won't be that expensive. But it's not for me plus I'm not a console gamer.
I hope it does well.

i hope it has official PC support via open XR (rather than hacked in support by fans)

I doubt it. Why would Sony do this? They make their money from the sales of games. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more difficult to use the PSVR 2 on PC.

I doubt it. Why would Sony do this? They make their money from the sales of games. I wouldn't be surprised if it was even more difficult to use the PSVR 2 on PC.
historically i would agree with you, but more and more once exclusive sony titles are coming over to PC now..... you said it yourself, if sony make their money from the sale of games, then doing what MS do with xbox may not be such a bad idea.

esp if there continues to be a lag period where PS5 games get an exclusivity period before coming onto PC.

i must admit, whilst i have one, i have never used my ps3 or ps4 pads on my pc (i prefer my XB1 pad - despite not owning the console) but my understanding is those work well, same with the PS4 wheel also supports pc and the hotas too.

i know PSVR is not a direct comparison, but at the end of the day the hmd is just a peripheral.

we shall see. i am not holding my breath either way but i didnt expect uncharted trilogy, HZD, God of War or TLOU, heavy rain, Detroit, death stranding to come to pc either but they either have, or are coming.

Really looking forward to PSVR2. Use my Quest 2 occasionally for a bit of fishing and golf but currently cant be bothered with all the faff that goes with PCVR. Spend more time adjusting settings and tweaking than actually playing.

Not that I was planning on getting it, but if he's having problems with 62mm IPD on his nose, I wonder if with my 58mm ipd, I could get it to sit right at all. Like the look of the rubber faceplate design, with a narrow head, it will help prevent light leak from the sides. Great to get confirmation that they've definitely got dynamic foveated rendering working. That should mean it comes in with every half decent modern headset now. I wonder if games will need to implement it, or if it can be handled separately, so can be applied to older titles. I'm also thinking that for wireless transfer it could be fantastic, use most of the bandwidth for what the person is looking at, and then reduce on the rest.

I was a bit surprised he said the headset uses a USB cable to connect to the playstation. quite a few people deride the quest 2 for having such a connection.

Glad to hear that Foveated rendering and eye tracking works so fast that they human eye cannot notice transitions between high resolution and low resolution pixels when looking around

Can't beliieve this doesn't have built-in audio. That adds much more friction to getting into VR, and of course an additional expense.

Really looking forward to PSVR2. Use my Quest 2 occasionally for a bit of fishing and golf but currently cant be bothered with all the faff that goes with PCVR. Spend more time adjusting settings and tweaking than actually playing.

+1 I’ve found PC VR to be an total headache to get working reliably. Endless issues with headset compatibility, game crashes, disconnects, controller setup and tweaking graphics settings get decent performance.

Quest 2 and PSVR are so much more convenient. Hyped for PSVR 2 so I’ll be grabbing it day one!

Can't beliieve this doesn't have built-in audio. That adds much more friction to getting into VR, and of course an additional expense.
I’d assume they’ll bundle earphones with it like they did with the original PSVR ? Like yourself I’d have preferred integrated audio like the Quest though with the option to connect headphones if required.

I think they want you to shell out for the expensive PS5 wireless headphones...
I’d agree that’s likely the intention :) Worryingly, from videos I’ve seen, the official audio headset doesn’t look like it actually fits very well alongside the PSVR 2 headband?

I’ll probably just stick with a pair of earphones !

The index has stellar audio, so it can be done. You'd think with the PSVR headset being amazing at every else they'd have included a decent built in audio.

I was a bit surprised he said the headset uses a USB cable to connect to the playstation. quite a few people deride the quest 2 for having such a connection.
This could be really interesting. So the headset is running off 5V and getting the video/audio signal also from the USB data lines. Is the video/audio signal a sony proprietry one, or is is the same/similar signal that was used for the Rift/Rift S and/or Index.
Is the foveated renderingness done in the headset or the console?

If it is just a 'standard VR video/audio signal' could it not also be PCVR compatible with a suitable adaptor dongle coming shortly from China?

This could be really interesting. So the headset is running off 5V and getting the video/audio signal also from the USB data lines. Is the video/audio signal a sony proprietry one, or is is the same/similar signal that was used for the Rift/Rift S and/or Index.
Is the foveated renderingness done in the headset or the console?

If it is just a 'standard VR video/audio signal' could it not also be PCVR compatible with a suitable adaptor dongle coming shortly from China?
i've been told elsewhere that the bandwidth of psvr2 usb cable is 10gb/sec whereas the quest 2's is 500mb/sec.

Back
Top Bottom