ps3 on watchdog next week!

Soldato
whats being scrutinized exactly? I thought the PS3 had quite a low death rate - at least low enough not to warrant the extended warranty that MS have had to give for the 360 and the RROD error etc

Associate
I can't say much for thir failure rate. We had 2 PS3 fatalities (wrong spelling?) less than a month apart. My one died being a meesly 5 months old :eek:

Soldato
There was a report the other week that the BBC was somewhere in london fixing YLOD PS3 for free last week, i guess its something about this. As per normal with WD it will be blown out of proportion and mis represented, i remember years ago the problem with Hotpoint washer driers. It was something like they was tearing clothes etc, in the end it was found to be people overloading the machines and was not just a hotpoint problem but a problem with all washer driers at the time, hotpoint was pretty close taking the BBC to court about it.

Soldato
Could be excellent if that's the case, will hopefully lead to Sony extending their warranty period for certain faults, as Microsoft did with the RROD...although by all accounts Sony's customer services is very good anyway, for the most part.

Soldato
Could be excellent if that's the case, will hopefully lead to Sony extending their warranty period for certain faults, as Microsoft did with the RROD...although by all accounts Sony's customer services is very good anyway, for the most part.

Doubt it very much, the failure rates are not comparable, 360 were RRODing in a matter of weeks and months even days sometimes. The YLOD has only seemed to be an issue for a few 60GBs after a couple of years of use, the Laser problem was an issue for early 40Gbs but was not even close to the PS2 laser issues. The only reason you have a 3yr on RROD on the 360 is that if they hadnt done it they were facing class action law suits that could have meant a recall of all 360s sold.

Soldato
OP

well before peaheads thread got closed i posted a link to a thread on the playstation forums bout the bbc wanting to x ray the guys machine. and it said that the presenter solves the problem on watchdogs news page. Whatever he means by that.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it's the warrenty period thats the problem, it is the price they charge to repair it. I mean come on pull the other one, £100-£150 to replace a faulty laser?

All I had to do with Microsoft is buy an extended warrenty for a year which was £30 and they fixed it if anything went wrong including the peripherals such as headsets and controllers. Overall that £30 covered me for 2 repairs both of which were returned to me in less then a week. The first repair took 2 days and the second took 5 days, but the second repair didn't really matter how long it took since I just bought a new Arcade system for £99 because I wanted HDMI and when I got my repaired 360 back I sold it to a neighbour for £50.

Soldato
i think the whole point is the warranty should be longer. Especially for something that cost 425 at launch

If i buy a £400 TV do i always get a 2 or 3yr warranty with it where ever i purchase it?

You can get an extra 2 yrs for about £25 in several shops for consoles when you buy a new one, its a shame that so many people abused the continous play for Sony consoles so if you dont have a new console you cant purchase extra warranty.

Soldato
OP
If i buy a £400 TV do i always get a 2 or 3yr warranty with it where ever i purchase it?

You can get an extra 2 yrs for about £25 in several shops for consoles when you buy a new one, its a shame that so many people abused the continous play for Sony consoles so if you dont have a new console you cant purchase extra warranty.

and what if there is a inherrent fault which doesnt manifest itself until after the warranty expires? why should u have to pay for a problem that u did not cause? i believe this is what watchdog is hoping to prove/disprove.

Last edited:
Soldato
and what if there is a inherrent fault which doesnt manifest itself until after the warranty expires? why should u have to pay for a problem that u did not cause? i believe this is what watchdog is hoping to prove/disprove.

Didnt say you did, the only issue i can see with the couple of 60Gbs i have fixed for YLOD is a massive build up of dust inside the unit atributed to the owner not cleaning it correctly. The other issue could be down to the use of thermal paste on the BGAs either being insufficent or of poor quality, one is a production issue rather than a poor design issue as the 360 had at first, the other is poor housekeeping/just bad luck.
Watchdog as a program itself is best suited to chasing rougue plumbers or a dodgy money making schemes. Like i said earlier there harrasing and bad mouthing Hotpoint nearly got them in trouble, in did increase the sales of washer driers at hotpoint though lol.
I hope that they can sort what ever problems they find with the PS3, Xray doesnt ever show the full picture with BGA faults something like an Ersa scope to look under and along the BGA gives a better idea of the wetting of the solder joints and thus the quality of the soldering. I expect since the 80gbs the newer Mother boards used will be far less susceptable to dust and it has improved cooling, the Slim should continue this improvement.
I would hope though with this publicity Sony will drop the price on repairs though, £50 for a BD laser repair is about the Max i think they could charge and £75 for a YLOD ( half the price). Hopefully they could re-introduce continous play or offer a cheap 2yr extended warranty. Free would be nice but as this is not as wide spread or likely to raise a class action law suit i cant see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom