PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Soldato
not really interested as its constrained by PS5 hardware/software, its good for increasing market awareness and penetration for VR as far as I'm concerned beyond that... meh

pc vr is **** though, Good headset specs made by companies that have no idea how to make software - great combo for a consumer friendly product, Not

Soldato
Biggest issue for PC VR is the graphics card shortage. To run these newer headsets requires a monster graphics card, and they're either unavailable or scalped for insanely high prices.

Mind you, PS5 is having supply issues, so presumably that has a knock-on effect for possible uptake of PSVR2.

Soldato
The thing is PSVR IMO has the best and most polished gaming titles available in VR right now plus the setup is straightforward and the pricing affordable.

PCVR feels like it's becoming increasingly niche. The setup is a hassle, the hardware costly and right now you can't buy a video card even if you want one.

Oculus are pushing towards the standalone mobile vr market with the Quest, Microsoft Windows mixed VR is dead and HTC are migrating away from the consumer sector towards the business market. I guess the valve index is the best choice right now but the pricing puts it out of reach for most consumers. PCVR is in a weird place at the moment

You can grumble about the closed ecosystem but Sony will quickly become the dominant goto platform for developers in the VR marketplace when PSVR 2 releases IMO.

On the plus side that'll mean many games which wouldn't have been viable for pc vr alone, due to the small user base, will be made for PSVR and ported to PC VR as well so everyone wins ultimately!

More companies and a larger install base for VR is a good thing :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
The key question that springs to mind is whether the PSVR2 will be PC compatible?

Unlikely, as Sony want to lock people to their own store. Would be great if they did though - there should be no real barrier to it as it's apparently a single USB C cable connection with no external trackers.

Soldato
Unlikely, as Sony want to lock people to their own store. Would be great if they did though - there should be no real barrier to it as it's apparently a single USB C cable connection with no external trackers.

In theory, given the inside-out camera tracking, bluetooth controllers and USB-C connectivity it would be super easy for them to make it PC compatible but as you say I'd say there's virtually zero chance of Sony bringing out official support. Sounds like the kind of thing which might happen unofficially though.

Associate
Sony could have killed it if they went for a standalone solution like the Quest with an option to connect to the PS5. They could have released standalone games via their online market place that you could access directly on the headset then have the option to connect to the PS5 for enhance graphics etc a bit like using the Quest for PCVR

Associate
Sony could have killed it if they went for a standalone solution like the Quest with an option to connect to the PS5. They could have released standalone games via their online market place that you could access directly on the headset then have the option to connect to the PS5 for enhance graphics etc a bit like using the Quest for PCVR

True, but they want to reap the rewards of being the only thing that their platform can use, which to be fair, is quite a large market.

Soldato

The quest is great but it has noticeable limitations when it comes to running the more demanding VR titles.

Plus Sony want to keep the cost down so they can position it as an accessory. I suspect Oculus/Facebook are barely breaking even with each Quest sold at £300 given the tech (Snapdragon SOC, battery,etc) it contains.

With PSVR2 Sony should be able to offer a better display and/or cheaper price point with the ps5 powering it rather then making a wireless standalone headset.

Soldato

You must have wrote this in a hurry :) I am sure if you sit down and think about it for a little while, you could come up with several reasons why they didn't do this.

Soldato
More specs for PSVR2

Screen: Fresnel OLED panel, 2000x2040 per eye resolution with 110 degree FoV
Performance enhancements: Foveated Rendering with Eye Tracking and AMD FSR (improve performance without noticeable image quality loss)

Also notes: Sony added haptic feedback motors into the headset for immersion purposes, but testers have reported that the haptic feedback also has an additional benefit of helping to prevent motion sickness

Sony is due to announce a release date early in 2022.

Sony is already providing headsets to developers for testing which is where the above info comes from - Sony has told developers it wants to promote and sell AAA VR games and move the VR industry away from indie VR games.

https://wccftech.com/psvr-2-fresnel-oled-hdr/

Soldato
So they'll announce when the release is in early 2022. That's not when it's releasing. Suspect we'll see quest 3 and psvr releasing at similar times ( lead up to Christmas 2022 i reckon.

However those specs and the drive for aaa vr games is nice!

It'll be nice to have at least two big players in vr. Especially if games can be developed for pcvr and psvr2, nice large audience.

Might even be able to buy ps5 for a decent price by then.

Associate
As someone who has a psvr as my first vr headset and still uses it from time to time. Yes it's definitely been surpassed by now but Sony put out some GREAT vr games that stand up as my favourite vr games (astro, resident evil 7 and blood and truth). With the power of the ps5 and all these specs sounding very tasty this is a day 1 purchase for especially if it can stay £400 or less!

Soldato
Yes it's definitely been surpassed by now but Sony put out some GREAT vr games that stand up as my favourite vr games (astro, resident evil 7 and blood and truth). With the power of the ps5 and all these specs sounding very tasty this is a day 1 purchase for especially if it can stay £400 or less!

+1 day one for me as well when those pre-orders go live though it sounds like we've got a while to wait!

Back
Top Bottom