PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Soldato
You can get a Quest Pro pretty cheap now, and that is wireless, has self-tracked controllers, pancake lenses, built in audio and displays not far off OLED (without mura, and a non-pentile layout too), and it includes a charging dock. Ok it's not going to have long term support for standalone, but it's an incredible PC VR headset.

Also one thing I just remembered - PSVR2 doesn't have built in audio. You have to use earbuds or headphones.

Edit: And Quest Pro has eyetracking that is supported by third party software for both foveated rendering and social, plus face tracking.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get a Quest Pro pretty cheap now, and that is wireless, has self-tracked controllers, pancake lenses, built in audio and displays not far off OLED (without mura, and a non-pentile layout too), and it includes a charging dock. Ok it's not going to have long term support for standalone, but it's an incredible PC VR headset.

Also one thing I just remembered - PSVR2 doesn't have built in audio. You have to use earbuds or headphones.

Edit: And Quest Pro has eyetracking that is supported by third party software for both foveated rendering and social, plus face tracking.
It does come with its own earbuds though.

Associate
No headset with fresnel lenses is worth it now I've had pancake.
That's how I feel with wired vs wireless. I can't handle the low image quality I see with wireless headsets. I could never use one as my main headset. I only dig my Quest 3 out when family come down, so their kids don't mess up my good headsets with finger prints and dinks.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's how I feel with wired vs wireless. I can't handle the low image quality I see with wireless headsets. I could never use one as my main headset. I only dig my Quest 3 out when family come down, so their kids don't mess up my good headsets with finger prints and dinks.
Using Virtual desktop, 5ghz wifi and AV1 on my Quest 3 I can't tell the difference. Meta link or whatever it's called these days is very noticeably dropping quality and has compression artefacts all over the show.

Soldato
you don't think a 120hz PCVR OLED headset with controllers is worth £500? BSB is £1050 without controllers and base stations.

This particular OLED implementation is not good, PSVR2's suffers from bad motion blur and small sweet spot and without eye tracking, the small sweet spot issue is much worse. Since almost all the controller features don't work on PC, psvr2 controllers are just cheap plastic controllers with one of the worst ergonomic designs on the market. As for base stations, it's not fair to compare against PSVR2 since it uses inside out tracking and has issues with tracking, where as base station headsets do not have issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh well, at least this news has made me want to stick with my reverb G2 even longer. I was contemplating the PSVR2 as it's relatively cheap and OLED based, but they have nerfed every other single feature that made it compelling so it's an obvious miss now.

Not upgrading from my G2 until there is an OLED headset that supports HDR, has a significant res increase plus pancake or even better lenses. I'll need to update my GPU before then though so will be a long wait probably....

Soldato
I wonder if the driver can be modified to unlock the eye tracking and haptics etc? They are a hardware level feature so I don't see why they can't be used on the pc platform.

Back
Top Bottom