PSVR 2, anyone interested?

Soldato
A big win for Sony, game developers at GDC says Sony showed off performance benchmarks - with Foveated Rendering and Eye Tracking enabled, framerate is improved by 360% vs when Foveated Rendering and Eye Tracking is off.

Sony also outlined that the eye tracking sensors are quite smart: They know when the user is blinking and it can track gaze position and rotation and pupil diameter - these data inputs can be used to make games that can be entirely controlled just with your eyes or to create new ways to interact with the game world and it's npcs

https://uploadvr.com/psvr-2-eye-tracking-foveated-rendering-gdc/

Last edited:
Soldato
A big win for Sony, game developers at GDC says Sony showed off performance benchmarks - with Foveated Rendering and Eye Tracking enabled, framerate is improved by 360% vs when Foveated Rendering and Eye Tracking is off.

Frametimes. Not framerate.

Soldato
If I had a PS5 I might be interested. In any case it at least (no pun intended) ups the game and Meta and Valve will have to improve their next headsets to compete.

Associate

Sony also outlined that the eye tracking sensors are quite smart: They know when the user is blinking and it can track gaze position and rotation and pupil diameter - these data inputs can be used to make games that can be entirely controlled just with your eyes or to create new ways to interact with the game world and it's npcs

https://uploadvr.com/psvr-2-eye-tracking-foveated-rendering-gdc/
Yeah this all sounds really cool, hoping with that kind of tech for some eye popping games! Especially with that OLED HDR screen, should be pretty special

Associate
I'm on the fence between getting PSVR2 or going the new PC route.

PC route of course will be miles more expensive as i would want to go high end , RTX 4k series etc but it does have the widest range of software/ hardware. Hardware wise nothing excites me that fits in a reasonable price range at moment though.

I'm leaning to PSVR2 depending on Launch software. I have a PS5 so It means I can jump back in great VR for a cheap price, compared to PC. If it has Half-life Alyx at launch and a few other games im interested in then i will pre-order day 1.

Then once something like the Index 2 launches i can make choice to stick or sell and go PC route.

Soldato
I'm on the fence between getting PSVR2 or going the new PC route.

PC route of course will be miles more expensive as i would want to go high end , RTX 4k series etc but it does have the widest range of software/ hardware. Hardware wise nothing excites me that fits in a reasonable price range at moment though.

I'm leaning to PSVR2 depending on Launch software. I have a PS5 so It means I can jump back in great VR for a cheap price, compared to PC. If it has Half-life Alyx at launch and a few other games im interested in then i will pre-order day 1.

Then once something like the Index 2 launches i can make choice to stick or sell and go PC route.

IMO Right now the specs of psvr2 put it beyond anything PCVR headsets can offer (even with a high end gpu) but that may change by the time it’s released!

Soldato
PSVR2 will have some great software, but that may trickle down into PC VR at some point.
What's good is the PSVR controllers are closer to Oculus Touch and Index controllers so it should be much easier to convert software across.

What remains to be seen is how good the PSVR inside out tracking is, as really only Oculus has completely nailed that so far.

Back
Top Bottom