• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PUBLIC FORUM DEAL - SAPPHIRE 6700 XT NITRO ONLY £529.99 with VOUCHER CODE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
What do you compare it against to conclude it's a bad price? Against unicorn MSRP that doesn't exist?

I agree, it's hard to compare but paying these prices for cards that should cost £300-400 is still awful. It's a bargain in this climate, it's not a bargain though. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just saying it's a **** situation and cards are expensive.

Associate
For those of us who have been PC gaming for years these prices are going to seem like a massive increase. A top of the line Asus strix 970 was £300 on release. If OcUK say that a top of the line 6700xt is about £600 in the current market you have got to wonder how many people are going to stop PC gaming in favor of consoles (none of which is OCUK fault). The saving grace to paying these prices is that if you have a working card you can sell it on for a higher price at the moment to help make up for some of the price increase

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Just because it's the pricing around the world, doesn't make it a good price though. I beleive that is his point, not that OcUKs pricing is bad. Considering the price they should've been (advertised RRPS) it's a bit of a **** show all round really. *I'm not blaming OcUK, but the pricing has been ridiculous and this card is no different. It didn't help that most companies were price gouging at the start, creating new normals.
Advertised RRPs are fictional and only apply to MBA cards sold directly. AMD and Nvidia both did this to con the reviewers, it's as simple as that. If their board partners can't box up & ship MBA to us for less than AMD CLAIM the MSRP should be then that's proof enough that those prices aren't realistic.

Compare the performance of the 6700 XT Nitro with the cards that we had for sale this time last year. It's faster and cheaper than the 2070 Super launched at and that was before shipping increased tenfold. By those metrics it's a good deal, the price isn't terrible. People expected too much based on these absolute BS "MSRPs", the fact that they expect a board partner to design their own PCB, fit more VRMs, a better cooler and then ship them by air around the world, still getting close to that price...that's the real ****show in my opinion.

People comparing pricing vs cards launched 5-10 years ago are ignoring two key things;
1) these cards are more complex, have bigger coolers and more components
2) global inflation has happened...and continues to happen

Nvidia and AMD should have been more honest to protect their partners, instead of entering into a phoney price war with each other...that's my genuine viewpoint.

I'm not arguing with you, or anybody for that matter, that the current market rates for these cards are stupid. My argument is that £530 is a terrible price for an overclocked, top notch 6700 XT...anyone who thinks that is not grasping the reality tree..

I've spent the las hour arguing with a brand about a £100 price hike on a 3080 since last month. I'm as frustrated with the whole situation as anybody.

Last edited:
OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I guess my post count is probably too low to enter that page. :(
But I suppose there has to be a cut off somewhere. Understandable given the demand
The section has not yet been set to the cut off values that have been discussed. As we mentioned when we first floated the idea. Setting up a new section is a lot more complicated than we believed.

Associate
The section has not yet been set to the cut off values that have been discussed. As we mentioned when we first floated the idea. Setting up a new section is a lot more complicated than we believed.

Ah thanks for that. I think it's cool ocuk are trying out vouchers etc to try and stop the bots. Great that some of the forum members get to benefit from this. some is better than none - even if it isn't me :)

Associate
I agree, it's hard to compare but paying these prices for cards that should cost £300-400 is still awful. It's a bargain in this climate, it's not a bargain though. I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just saying it's a **** situation and cards are expensive.
Well isn't that AMD's fault as it is them who set the MSRP?.

Associate
When RX580s are going for £300 used, no one should be complaining about ocuk charging £530 for a quality 6700XT, bargain in this climate.

True. But honestly, I would never in my dreams have thought the RX580 I paid around £350 for new back in 2018 during that pricing surge, can be nearly sold for the exact same price a few years down the line during another crisis. Not that I would, since I modded my one with some Noctua A12x25's (don't even remember where the original fan kit is now or if I even kept it), so wouldn't want to sell it anyway because I'd need to give the Noctua's away with the RX580 as well now (otherwise it wouldn't have any active cooling). :p

Soldato
Well isn't that AMD's fault as it is them who set the MSRP?.

I think there is two things here that I understand.

First AIB partners dont usually meet official chipset manufacturer MSRP, they usually have "some" kind of premium, according to hardware unboxed usually this premium averages around 20%. Historically the only cards you would see close to official chip MSRP is the budget brands low end cards.

Second is the board partners themselves deciding to profit, this point I understand is controversial as some are defending asus etc. claiming all their cost increases are because their own costs have gone up, I consider this extremely unlikely, again hardware unboxed did an analysis and calculated the MSRP for the AIB cards (not public data but they have access to it) is now on average a whopping 60% higher than AMD base MSRP, in layman's terms their margin has tripled. The top brands like ASUS are of course way above this 60% closer to 100% actually doubled over base MSRP. No one in their right mind will think it costs them circa £600 to get some capacitors, fans and cardboard packaging.

Note as well now AMD have started doing the same as Nvidia and enforcing MSRP pricing for retailers who stock their reference cards. The argument will be that they like Nvidia are selling at a loss, we simply will never know. But here is the thing, those cards will sell out instantly, they have no reason to sell at a loss, so my belief is that both Nvidia and AMD reference cards are profitable, just that the margins are a fraction of the AIB cards. HUB even have an official opinion now that the board partners are taking the micky, I linked to the exact quote in the gpu pricing thread. But they spent about 5 minutes talking about the partners official hidden MSRP list and other things.

I expect the voucher prices from OCUK dont have more than a small margin as the partners are likely charging them through the roof, which Scott has said multiple times.

Last edited:
Associate
Genuinely, if you think £529.99 is a terrible price for that card then you honestly don't have any grip of what realistic pricing is in the current climate.

This isn't a personal attack, but honestly, if you expect to see a top quality 6700XT for less than this before the world (component demand and shipping costs) returns to normal, then you'll be disappointed. Gibbo sold these at single figure margin...it's not possible for us to go any cheaper.

As I said a few weeks ago

If you want to complain to anyone there is the people that voted for brexit, China and their handling of the plague and releasing it on the world, supply/demand economics, bored people at home rebuilding their system and of course miners or cryptos in general. There is your list...

529 for a 6700xt nitro put out by ockers is not one of them.

-note- all political opinions are mine and mine alone.

Associate
Advertised RRPs are fictional and only apply to MBA cards sold directly. AMD and Nvidia both did this to con the reviewers, it's as simple as that. If their board partners can't box up & ship MBA to us for less than AMD CLAIM the MSRP should be then that's proof enough that those prices aren't realistic.

Compare the performance of the 6700 XT Nitro with the cards that we had for sale this time last year. It's faster and cheaper than the 2070 Super launched at and that was before shipping increased tenfold. By those metrics it's a good deal, the price isn't terrible. People expected too much based on these absolute BS "MSRPs", the fact that they expect a board partner to design their own PCB, fit more VRMs, a better cooler and then ship them by air around the world, still getting close to that price...that's the real ****show in my opinion.

People comparing pricing vs cards launched 5-10 years ago are ignoring two key things;
1) these cards are more complex, have bigger coolers and more components
2) global inflation has happened...and continues to happen

Nvidia and AMD should have been more honest to protect their partners, instead of entering into a phoney price war with each other...that's my genuine viewpoint.

I'm not arguing with you, or anybody for that matter, that the current market rates for these cards are stupid. My argument is that £530 is a terrible price for an overclocked, top notch 6700 XT...anyone who thinks that is not grasping the reality tree..

I've spent the las hour arguing with a brand about a £100 price hike on a 3080 since last month. I'm as frustrated with the whole situation as anybody.

Very interesting, thanks for the explaination, certainly gives you a better picture of the frustrations from every step along the chain.

Soldato
I hope OCUK can get this sorted for you.
So do I, but it's hard work so far, they do not seem to want to give me any kind of assurances about anything, and customer services have had me chasing sales to find answers rather than taking ownership of a customer problem and sorting out what can or cannot be done. And lets face it, there is no 'cannot' really, it's actually a matter of choosing to do something or not to, anything can be done if there is the will to do it.

The problem is I need those assurances right now, I need to know where I stand and what I can expect and when because of the way I am feeling at the moment. Normally, under more normal circumstances that wouldn't be a problem as I would know it could easily be replaced or I would take a refund and go elsewhere, but everyone involved know's that's not so easy right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom