PWM to Analog converter circuit

Soldato
Hi Tealc,

Mine still works after a year or usage.

Cheers :)

+1

Mine is still going strong - I have huge admiration for Tealc

I've finished Panyan's converter. I was just waiting on the shrink really.

panyan1.jpg

Associate
Any chance to still get one of those? The Phanteks Fan Hub tends to die at low PWM because of mosfet overheating ... :( Also, could I put power from a SATA connector instead the PWM header on the mobo to drive 8 fans?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can still make them. I don't do them with 8 fans as I find the voltage drops at full speed and stuff. What I have do e in the past is make two boards fed off a single pwm. This isn't too dissimilar to phanteks as they sort of do the same thing.

Associate
I already had two phanteks hubs but one died. I have a total of 16 fans to power, that is why I asked for getting power from a molex, as Phanteks also uses it and seems a good idea to use only the PWM from the header and take the power from a molex for that many fans. I have tried another circuits on the net but I can't get tach signal back and the fans stops too soon for my taste.

About dividing it into two boards to double the number of transistors used and reduce the strain, I think it is a good idea. I don't need 8 fans outputs, I have splitter cables so I'm ok with 1 PWM in, 1 fan out, and the molex connector if you agree with that.

I will also gladly pay you for the schematic the same price that for the finished board if you agree with that. I suppose you don't, but I wanted to offer the option for you to consider.

Soldato
OP
I'm pretty sure I've posted enough information in the thread for someone to work out the schematic themselves. It isn't particularly complicated.

I haven't made one of these for about 2 years. The last thing I remember doing with this was developing a high current version that drove quite a few fans but I don't remember exactly what I did but the results were decent. The lack of workshop and time didn't help.

I do see a lot of complaints about the Phanteks implementation that I don't tend to come across with mine, however I would imagine they sold more than the 30 odd I made.

Associate
I'm pretty sure I've posted enough information in the thread for someone to work out the schematic themselves. It isn't particularly complicated.

I haven't made one of these for about 2 years. The last thing I remember doing with this was developing a high current version that drove quite a few fans but I don't remember exactly what I did but the results were decent. The lack of workshop and time didn't help.

I do see a lot of complaints about the Phanteks implementation that I don't tend to come across with mine, however I would imagine they sold more than the 30 odd I made.

i have both and yours has much better control on fan speeds :) i bought the phanteks version as i miss placed yours. it turned up and im back to using it again as i can get lower fan speeds on idle. 10/10 recommended :) someone should start making these again lol

Associate

At this point I'm just good enough at electronics to follow an schematic, not to recreate it in base of the info posted, but as I said I understand if you prefer to only sell the finished product.

Soldato
OP
Excellent. I've made a little start and also went down my Mum's to get all the bits I need, plus one of my oscilloscopes which while I don't actually need it I love playing with so thought I'd grab it while I was there. My wife is over the moon as it really goes with our dining room decor, not.

I haven't made one for quite some time so am looking forward to this and I think this'll be the first build to go over to Spain.

Soldato
OP
There's something reassuring that after a little while soldering the green phosphor confirms you done it right.

29w4rqc.jpg

My new workshop.
10z3hug.jpg

This circuit...done, tested and working.

Associate
Received it yesterday. Probably can't install it until next week, and that is good because I need to figure the scheme for when my other Phanteks hub dies :)

Soldato
Just popping in to make a note that I recieved my board some 3 and a half years ago.

Still using the same Corsair fans, the ones I bought at the same time as the adapter, though I am on my 2nd H100i (replaced under warranty 3 days AFTER it expired).

Adapter and fans still running beautifully.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Resident.

Considering that far more complicated transistor circuits still work after more than 40 years in service I suspect that these things will last a good amount of time. The heatsink I use these days really prolongs the life of these things and in my tests only got warm to the touch

Naked transistors are not good when heat needs to be dissipated.

Later this week my aim is to build a couple of circuits up ready for when someone shows some interest, that way there'll be no appreciable delay.

Madmalkav sent me a name of a website that could spin me a few PCBs for a fairly decent cost so may look into that and as alternative to the veroboard I have been using. There's nothing wrong with veroboard of course and I quite like the long, easy to insulate footprint but it may make things easier to build. I could even do kits. If I redesign the footprint it would likely need a project box and the price would go up as they are pricey beasts. I can't really spin a custom shell like Phanteks do unless I had or could justify the expense/running costs of a 3D printer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom