• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q3 2022 - NVIDIA Gains 88% Market Share Hold, AMD Now at 8% Followed By Intel at 4%

Caporegime

During Q3 2022, total PC GPU shipments declined by -25.1% (Y/Y) out of which desktop graphics saw a -15.43% decline and notebook graphics saw a -30% decline. This was termed as 'the biggest drop since the 2009' recision by Jon Peddie himself. More on the overall GPU market share here.

So coming to the discrete GPU market share numbers, the report tells us that the dGPU shipments decline to 14 million units versus 24 million units in the previous year. That's a drop of -41.6% & is quite massive if you consider that the third quarter is usually the strongest growth quarter for PCs. During this quarter, NVIDIA managed to raise its market hold to 88%, a record number followed by AMD whose market hold declined to single-digit figures of just 8%. Intel managed to more or less retain its share hold of 4%, witnessing a 1% decline from the previous quarter but a solid 4-5% gain versus the previous year.

MbtR2hC.png

Associate
If this is accurate, I'm not all that surprised. Firstly, Nvidia was better for mining (30-series vs 6000-series), also AMD weren't competitive with features for that generations. Rasterization was terrific but many users were wanting RT and high-quality image-reconstruction.

5000-series vs. 20-series was very different as even if you had an RTX card, there was little software that would take advantage of it. I'm disappointed that AMD didn't go harder on RT for 7000-series - if they're going to continue to be a generation behind it's going to be hard for them to grow their market share on anything except price.

Soldato
Is this article calculating market share by shipment of GPUs ?
Because if it is that is deeply flawed. For starters Nvidia is still selling through the 3000 series cards while AMDs 6000 series is starting to run out as they prepare for the 7000 series.

OcUK Staff
Well were not the entire market, but this Black Friday AMD is hovering around 50% share and over on GPU sales today. :)

But OcUK has some epic AMD deals at present. :)

Rest of market may have given up on AMD, but I will keep pushing AMD, NVIDIA and Intel all equally and let the customer decide. :)

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Is this article calculating market share by shipment of GPUs ?
Because if it is that is deeply flawed. For starters Nvidia is still selling through the 3000 series cards while AMDs 6000 series is starting to run out as they prepare for the 7000 series.
Of course it shows AMD doing badly and Nvidia doing well, (which in my opinion is rather surprising) So a lot of the AMD supporters will not like it and a lot of the NVidia supporters will like it.

Much more importantly (in my opiinion) is that it shows a 41.6% decline over the last year. now this is not good news for any of us.

With the war in Europe, the cost of living going through the roof, GPU prices being ridiculous and world wide RADISH, things can only get better and hopefully they will soon.

Soldato
Of course it shows AMD doing badly and Nvidia doing well, (which in my opinion is rather surprising) So a lot of the AMD supporters will not like it and a lot of the NVidia supporters will like it.

Much more importantly (in my opiinion) is that it shows a 41.6% decline over the last year. now this is not good news for any of us.

With the war in Europe, the cost of living going through the roof, GPU prices being ridiculous and world wide RADISH, things can only get better and hopefully they will soon.
The issue with the year on year comparison is last year gpu mining was still a thing and Nv and AMD could sell everything they were making. Now you have the combined sales fall off from the end of this gpu generation as well as the reduction in mining muddying the water.

bru

bru

Soldato
The issue with the year on year comparison is last year gpu mining was still a thing and Nv and AMD could sell everything they were making. Now you have the combined sales fall off from the end of this gpu generation as well as the reduction in mining muddying the water.
Yup there are many mitigating circumstances but the general trend is still as the article states.

Soldato
Numbers were massively inflated in the initial covid years so millions of people could work from home. Since then I assume people have made that initial investment and have no need to buy replacement hardware just yet.

Add in people having to reassess finances and the removal of furlough, plus the mining bubble bursting it's not a real surprise number's are down.

Edit:Sorry I see the article does mention mining

I think the demographic on that website is likely arriving on that page from enthusiast places like this and there's definitely an nvidia dominance here so the vote results reflect that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Arc not such a bust afterall.
Maybe, but they must be giving them away. Huge die, poor performance, poor perf/watt. Yet made on an expensive process. Still, while looks like an actual gain.

As usual Wcctech jumped on this, but going to their actual link I couldn't find that chart with Intel discrete: I though JPR usually publish their dGPU report later so maybe that chart is a tease.

Yes, AMD's premium brand strategy does seem to be failing spectacularly. Previously they had the excuse of wafer shortages (and whatever sweetheart deal Sony and Microsoft got), but if they are not willing to go for marketshare this time then it seems they just don't care. R&D and other fixed costs are huge and 10% is simply far too little to be viable. There obsession with margins is going to kill their GPU business. Yes, some will only buy Nvidia regardless but to gain marketshare amongst those not excessively influenced by the RT and DLSS narrative requires better prices not just more VRAM.

Soldato
This does not bode well for AMD. GPU's are very expensive to research & develop, AMD need to be making good margin for these instead of practically having to give them away at massively discounted prices.

Even their CPU's have had huge discounts, their top of the line 7950X was selling so poorly that it had a 20% price reduction within weeks of release.

Associate
If this is accurate, I'm not all that surprised. Firstly, Nvidia was better for mining (30-series vs 6000-series), also AMD weren't competitive with features for that generations. Rasterization was terrific but many users were wanting RT and high-quality image-reconstruction.

5000-series vs. 20-series was very different as even if you had an RTX card, there was little software that would take advantage of it. I'm disappointed that AMD didn't go harder on RT for 7000-series - if they're going to continue to be a generation behind it's going to be hard for them to grow their market share on anything except price.
Everyone who upgraded from rtx 3070/3060 and lower to a 6900xt in the recent deals disagrees with you.

Soldato
This does not bode well for AMD. GPU's are very expensive to research & develop, AMD need to be making good margin for these instead of practically having to give them away at massively discounted prices.

Even their CPU's have had huge discounts, their top of the line 7950X was selling so poorly that it had a 20% price reduction within weeks of release.
Makes their cpus a better buy than Intel right now then eh.

Caporegime
OP
Doesn't surprise me too much tbh after seeing steams survey for October (obviously not the be all but gives a good rough indication to market trends)

CICwcsF.png

At the end of the day, nvidia have had a massive advantage over the past 2 years:

- RT performance (not that important according to many but difference was, with ampere and having dlss, it was very good, with rdna 2 poor RT perf. and lack of fsr, it wasn't even playable/usable unless a game with very little RT or metro ee)
- upscaling tech, nvidia had 2-3 years of this where amd took forever with fsr 2 and whilst improving, uptake has and still is less than dlss, arguably this has probably been the main selling point for RTX gpus
- stock, due to amd having to supply 80% of their hardware to consoles, there was sweet **** all, was crazy when I was signed up on part alerts for 3080, 6800xt, several popups every day for the 3080, meanwhile, like 1 for 6800xt every day or 2 if that

I am fully expecting to see nvidia lose market share and amd gain some back this coming year though given nvidias pricing of lesser tiers and the fact that the 4080 isn't selling well at all just goes to show it's not a case of "mindshare" like many like to go on about.

Last edited:
Soldato
Huge die, poor performance, poor perf/watt.

Most people don't care about either.

This does not bode well for AMD. GPU's are very expensive to research & develop, AMD need to be making good margin for these instead of practically having to give them away at massively discounted prices

A modest share of a very large market is still a large number.

Soldato
Maybe, but they must be giving them away. Huge die, poor performance, poor perf/watt. Yet made on an expensive process. Still, while looks like an actual gain.

As usual Wcctech jumped on this, but going to their actual link I couldn't find that chart with Intel discrete: I though JPR usually publish their dGPU report later so maybe that chart is a tease.

Yes, AMD's premium brand strategy does seem to be failing spectacularly. Previously they had the excuse of wafer shortages (and whatever sweetheart deal Sony and Microsoft got), but if they are not willing to go for marketshare this time then it seems they just don't care. R&D and other fixed costs are huge and 10% is simply far too little to be viable. There obsession with margins is going to kill their GPU business. Yes, some will only buy Nvidia regardless but to gain marketshare amongst those not excessively influenced by the RT and DLSS narrative requires better prices not just more VRAM.

Arc is way better than that Chinese GPU company. For the same money Arc Gives you more performance, works with more games and uses less electricity

Last edited:
Soldato

Surprising about CPUs one of the UK largest retailers AMD totally dominating only intel CPU I see is the 12400f in 12th

7600x and 7700x in 8th and 9th

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom